“Food decent/service so so”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Castle Street Cafe

Castle Street Cafe
Cuisines: American
Good for: Business meetings, Families with children, Special occasions, Romantic, Local cuisine, Bar scene
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
westchester ny
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Food decent/service so so”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 9, 2014

The place has a nice atmosphere and decor. We enjoyed the food and thought that is was pretty well prepared. The do some marketing in the local publications and they advertize that if you show your lift ticket from the ski hill , they will give you a free dessert. After we ordered dessert we were wondering if the waitress would ask us to see the lift tickets (they were in plain site hanging on our coats). The waitress in fact never asked us to see the lift tickets and I eventually had to ask her about the promotion. When I asked here about the free dessert promotion she looked at me in a confused manner and , with a slight attitude, said that she had to speak with the manager. At this point I was not only embarrassed, but also a little angry that the restaurants own employees do not know the deals that the business is advertising. I would suggest that the manager speak with the employees and tell them to initiate the conversation about the free desert with the the lift ticket. If it is done that way it looks like the restaurant is happy to have your business and give you a free dessert and not annoyed that you called them on their marketing scheme that they don't really want you to claim! After ten minutes of her speaking to the manager we eventually did get our free dessert, but I had to work for it =)

Visited February 2014

Litchfield, Connecticut
“Beyond Terrible”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 20, 2013

This was without doubt the worst dining experience I had in 2013. I ordered a spinach salad with toasted pumpkin seeds. The spinach was wilted and obviously left over from the weekend. The dressing (there was no choice offered) consisted of a non-descript concoction with the taste and consistency of lukewarm water and a hint of lemon. And the toasted pumpkin seeds must have come from an anemic pumpkin because there were so few that one had to move the wilted spinach about to locate them. For an entrée I ordered almond-encrusted salmon with a "Spinach flan" and pureed carrots. My friend and I had to restrain ourselves from laughing when my dinner was presented, for it looked like something that would be served at a child's birthday party. The riot of green (spinach flan) and orange (pureed carrot) colors that were swirled around the perimeter of the plate looked as if they had been placed there by Clarabell, the clown. And the almond-encrusted salmon consisted of a few dry, minced almonds spread miserly atop a grossly over-cooked piece of salmon that looked as if it had been purchased from Costco or BJs and had the same taste and consistency as cardboard. My dinner partner had a salad of badly-wilted lettuce that also was obviously left over from the weekend. And his pasta Bolognese was apparently prepared by someone who did not know that Bolognese sauce isn't supposed to be so dry that one needs not only a glass of wine, but also a refill of one's water glass in order to make the dish palatable. Needless to say, this restaurant is incredibly over-rated, for the chef either flunked out of his/her culinary class or was previously employed flipping burgers at some greasy-spoon dive. Based on this one experience, I would never recommend this establishment to anyone. Obviously, I will not be returning, and I suspect my dinner partner feels the same.

• Visited December 2013
1 Thank EJMCT
Pawcatuck, Ct USA
“Just has a nice feel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 7, 2013

I have been to this restaurant a few time, and always came away with a good feeling. The bar side is my favorite as you enter, the bar itself has a lot of character. 5he food has been very good, along with service you would expect. I say with ease, I would return. They had jazz combo's playing the times I was there! and that was enjoyable! but do not take a table to close to them if you like to talk during your meal? Great Barrington is a town with shops! and that are open at night! I recommend you go! and explore this great little town

• Visited November 2013
“This was excellent!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 4, 2013

We stopped in for drinks and appetizers. The atmosphere was very nice and food was delicious. We ended up splitting a burger as well just to try it! Yummy fries!

Visited December 2013
1 Thank Dansage2013
New York City, New York, USA
“A Great Barrington Favorite”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 3, 2013 credit card Amex Card Member Review

An early GB restaurant the has maintained it's reputation as on of the choice
restaurants in town .Owner/ Chef M. Ballon and Sally and Michael are welcoming and serve a varied a very good high end or pub type menue.
Great onion soup ,burgers and string fries or Duck l'Orange ,'short ribs
Steak ,daily fish,etc.,etc.
Thia place satisfies many selective appetites.

Visited November 2013