“Salmon and Chirashi and Ume scallion salad dressing.”
Review of Bizen

Bizen
Cuisines: Sushi, Japanese, Seafood, Healthy
Good for: Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Japanese Gourmet Restaurant, Sushi Bar, Robata Charcoal Grill, Extensive selection of grilled fish, salads and tempura, Vegetarian and Gluten Free Options, Dairy Free and Sugar Free Desserts, Kaiseki-traditional Cuisine of the Japanese Tea Ceremony, private Tea Ceremonies, Bizen Pottery Gallery of Ceramicist Michael Marcus
Reviewed March 13, 2013

The Ume scallion salad dressing should not be missed and the salmona and specialty rolls are wonderful to the tastebuds.

Reviewed February 22, 2013 via mobile

We eat here every time we come to GB. Good sushi, delicious miso soup, lovely salad with fantastic dressing. Service was great. weve always had good service here. It's a little pricey but the food is fresh and tasty. The chicken teriyaki is superb.

Reviewed January 1, 2013

Two parents and Two hungry ski Kids;Early New Years Eve, ahead of the crowds...and we are seated against the wall, between two columns, barely enough room to squeeze out of the traffic isle...that was the first Red Flag. 3 Different, complicated, and voluminous menus - far too many combinations and variations for a customer to decipher, and for a staff to control -we joked that it was a "Japanese Greek Diner Menu" - second Red Flag...3 separate servers asked to take food orders - 3rd Red Flag. Ordered a Pot of Tea for the table. Got one cup of tea. Asked for more, got another cup...had to ask specifically for each individual cup of tea.
Ordered food...asked for it to be served in sequence so we could eat together...was told - very pointedly - that certain things took different times to cook (duh) and that the food would come as it was ready. Immediately, my fiance was served a salad - in a bowl better suited to grapefruit sections - leaves falling on the table as she tried to eat.
Meanwhile, the kids and I sat and hungrily watched.
Then came a maki for mom and one kid...reverse roll was good...tuna/avocado roll not so much - tuna poorly sliced, too long, too thick, too heavy. Choked getting it down. Still, one kid and I sat without food.
My Hamachi Kama arrived - well prepared but minus traditional condiments. This time, the others watched me eat.
Noodle bowls arrived - udon was the thin, dried variety and broth was insipid. Food was ample and we were hungry, so it was sufficient, but this was not a "good bowl".
Tempura was an abomination - vegetables were all cut too large, frying oil was no hot enough, batter was not adjusted to each vegetable. The result was a plate of greasy, doughy, undercooked junk.
The initial attitude of the servers - the tea shows up piece -meal and "the food comes when it comes" told me enough to know not to complain...My 14 year old daughter was able to correctly identify the flaws in each dish, I had to restrain her from pointing them out...but as far as they're concerned we were a family of know-nothings on a holiday night.
The previous evening, we had a fantastic meal, very pleasantly served, at Allium - directly across the street - for less money. Allium is not Japanese...but, then again, neither is Bizen.

By the way - Kaiseki???LOL...I've worked with Kaiseki Chefs, They don't work here.

1  Thank mpardus
Reviewed November 27, 2012

Let's start at the beginning. They have a "full bar". Problem is they have NO bartender.
The first time in my looong dining experience (senior citizen) I was asked to make my own martini! No fancy, new wave martini, just gin, vermouth and ice. Waitress led me to bar and became my assistant and student...glass...ice...vermouth...Bombay gin, etc.
There were three young female wait staff. None knew how to make a martini or, I'm fairly sure, any mixed drink. This was NOT my major problem. Major problem was the food.
The food situatio made the drink thing a very minor irritation. Ingredients were "not available" for either of the two items I choose from the "Lunch Menu" - it WAS lunch time. Had to switch gears to dishes I was not too familiar with and asked waitress to explain them, preparation, ingredients. Lots of yada yada, but really nothing. It was obvious she DIDN'T know. Mistake I made was to actually order and try to eat what was served. EVERYTHING was tasteless or tasted terrible.

At this point I need to point out that I'm a very adventurous eater. I eat almost everything,
from all cuisines. (Perhaps I draw the line on insects, but that's it.)

Sum up: Wait staff pleasant and attractive but inept; huge menu meaningless; food terrible. I have NO idea how anyone could give Bizen a positive rating. This was possibly the worst dining experience ever.

3  Thank saultfrance
Reviewed November 7, 2012

This sushi restaurant would do well in any city, not just a little pokey New England town. My husband and I enjoyed about 8 different rolls, sashimi, etc. and enjoyed both the presentation and quality of the fish. Definitely include this restaurant on your trip to Stockbridge if you want sushi.

1  Thank utterna