“Disaster”

Bizen
Cuisines: Sushi, Japanese, Seafood, Healthy
Good for: Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Japanese Gourmet Restaurant, Sushi Bar, Robata Charcoal Grill, Kaiseki-traditional Cuisine of the Japenese Tea Ceremony, private Tea Ceremonies, Bizen Pottery Gallery
Boston, Massachusetts
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Disaster”
Reviewed July 25, 2012

My wife and I came at 5:30pm on Sun. We had reservations, so we were seated promptly. The menu said no substitution on combo dishes. The sashimi combo I head in mind had the only component which I couldn't eat for Kashrut considerations (octopus), so I asked if it's OK to substitute. The waiter said no problem, but when the dish came, octopus was sitting cozy. I pointed the waiter's attention to it, she apologized and brought the dish back shortly with extra salmon instead of octopus. The cut was subpar. The texture and aftertaste were adequate but not great. Some pieces were not fully separated from each other.
My wife ordered seaweed salad (average), shitake appetized (very good), and eel and avocado maki. There was very little eel in them - mostly rice and avocado. She thought that avocado may be rotten at first, but then she decided that's it's because of soy sauce, so she started eating. On her 5th (out of 6) piece she started feeling nauseous. She picked apart the remaining pieces, and sure enough, the avocado was indeed rotten. She called the waiter's attention to it and said that we are not paying for the maki as it was rotten. She checked with a chef and came back with an outrageous comment "you ate it, so...". We reiterated our intention not to pay for the maki. She brought the check a minute later and almost through it on our table. No apology or anything like that. Needless to say, the bill did include the maki. My several attempts to get her attention to refill our green tea cups were fruitless - she ignored them as if I weren't there. I went to see the hostess with the bill tray, explain her the situation and showed that I am paying for the exact amount of the bill minus the price of the maki. She called the waitress who repeated her line that my wife ate the dish. At this point we left the cash for the aforementioned amount and walked out - the aggravation wasn't worth it.

Just for have a perspective - we've never not paid the tip and we've never complained of food quality to the restaurant staff in our life. It shows how aggravating this experience was.

• Visited July 2012

upstate NY
“Best sushi north of New York City”
Reviewed July 15, 2012

My wife and I have been here several times and find the sushi very good. The sake list if fairly extensive; however, they were out of the first two bottles I ordered. There is a very interesting selection of special rolls and the sashimi was delicious.

• Visited July 2012
2 Thank abarasol
New York City, New York
“Not the best representation of the east in Great Barrington”
Reviewed July 14, 2012

I have been to Bizen many many times over the last several years. Always wanting to make this my "go to" place here in Great Barrington, since we live so close. I love the location, atmosphere and the energy here, but that is about it. Every meal (and I mean every one) has been drastically flawed. From service being downright rude (making us leave our table while they clear our dinner plates so they can seat another party), gummy hard rice, fish cut incorrectly, arrogant chef/owner, who keeps his long hair down while preparing food, to dirty tables and walls and floors. Menu so long with pen marks across what they don't have (even 1 year later). I HATE to write this, but in MY opinion the ONLY thing keeping Bizen in business is the amount of foot traffic who are visiting the area. Go across town to Shiro. Much quieter, better sushi. Not out of this world, but just better. I would love another opportunity to visit Bizen again and find some redeeming qualities....., but not on my dime.

• Visited June 2012
New York City, New York
“Always delicious, fresh, and welcoming”
Reviewed May 19, 2012

Never too crowded. Comfortable traditional booths as well as tables, Private places to eat and talk. Delicious food and prompt service.

Visited March 2012
Cornwall Bridge, Connecticut
“Spectacular”
Reviewed April 20, 2012

Wonderful Japanese cuisine. An amazingly varied menu. You can get just about anything here. Attentive, helpful staff.

Visited December 2011