“A Welcome Addition to the GB Restaurant Scene”
Review of Prairie Whale

Prairie Whale
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Brooklyn food pioneer Mark Firth has brought to the Berkshires the same rustic and delicious food he served at his previous restaurants, Marlow & Sons and Diner. Our menu changes daily as we use only the freshest produce, and source locally as much as we can.
Reviewed January 7, 2014

I have now eater here three times and have had very good food each time and perfectly satisfactory service each time. The menu changes regularly, but chicken under a brick and Coq au vin have been delicious. There is a variety on the menu so that folks at the bar can have smaller, less expensive items, with full blown entrees available, too. The place can get noisy next to the bar, so if you want to talk or have a more romantic evening, one of the rooms away from the bar is a better choice. Nice range of beers available, and a reasonable wine list with good choices. The wood burning fire and wood panelling makes for a rustic atmosphere, but it can be a bit chilly next to the front windows. All in all I have found it to be a comfortable restaurant that might become my go-to place for a relaxing evening out. There are lots of things on the menu that I still want to try.

2  Thank NolaAK

Reviewed December 28, 2013

Even though this place has been getting a rough rap about service, we had a perfectly lovely breakfast this morning. The server was attentive and nice, the room we sat in was sunny and inviting and the brunch menu offered a delicious variety of options. Having heard rave reviews about the homemade cornbread we were excited to be able to try it (the menu changes every day I hear) and it definitely lived up to the praise. We ordered a variety of things from fried chicken, to a breakfast sandwich, and pancakes, and all were excellent. We also ordered an omelet as an afterthought to share, and it was a standout success, far exceeding my egg-spectations...haha. But really though, with caramelized onions, mushrooms, berleberg cheese and thyme (I think?) it may very well be the best omelet I've ever had...period. I don't even usually eat the salad that is served as accompaniment at breakfast places, and I ate every last leaf because it was dressed so expertly. Also, I was super impressed with the affordable pricing of the brunch items. The pancakes were only $9 I think? And enormous. And everything else was really affordable too. So, don't know what's with all the weirdos writing bad reviews. We had a great time and will be back for sure.

1  Thank pluma812
Reviewed November 27, 2013

The margarita was sickening, the drinks were like a five year old made them. The food was sometime a bird would eat, and the price for DEVILED EGGS was extremely expensive. Horrible, I don't recommend

1  Thank Laurenscapin
Reviewed November 18, 2013

My beau and I were in the Berkshires for his cousin's wedding and arranged a dinner the night before with some family. We heard great things about the restaurant as we are from Brooklyn and know the owner's history from there.
Liked the location and the decor and the ambiance. But the service was awkward- our cocktails were delivered slowly and one at a time... There were 6 of us... Not use to having a server bring one drink at a time to the table. Several of us ordered the hamburger and asked for medium. 2 of them were close to rare...definitely not medium. Food was average. Server was lackluster- she did not seem the least bit enthusiastic about being there or taking care of our table. I would only return to sit at the bar for drinks and some appetizers.

1  Thank NGLNYC
Reviewed October 10, 2013

Now called the "Prairie Whale" (formerly "Bell & Anchor") is a superb gastropub serving locally sourced, imaginatively prepared food in an unpretentious and friendly environment. Despite what some other reviewers have said I have found the staff to be very professional, and have enjoyed all of the many meals I have had there since it opened. As a NYC resident and second home owner in the Berkshires I can truthfully say that if such a place existed here on the Upper West Side I would eat there every night!