“Excellent locavore food, great atmosphere....”
Review of Prairie Whale

Prairie Whale
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Brooklyn food pioneer Mark Firth has brought to the Berkshires the same rustic and delicious food he served at his previous restaurants, Marlow & Sons and Diner. Our menu changes daily as we use only the freshest produce, and source locally as much as we can.
Reviewed October 10, 2013

Now called the "Prairie Whale" (formerly "Bell & Anchor") is a superb gastropub serving locally sourced, imaginatively prepared food in an unpretentious and friendly environment. Despite what some other reviewers have said I have found the staff to be very professional, and have enjoyed all of the many meals I have had there since it opened. As a NYC resident and second home owner in the Berkshires I can truthfully say that if such a place existed here on the Upper West Side I would eat there every night!

Reviewed October 10, 2013

The food was great, but I am going to agree with the other reviewers about the service. They are a bit disorganized, but pleasant. If you can wait to be served, if you understand that if you ask for even the slightest variation from the menu (ie no cheese on a hamburger) that it is not going to happen, and not everyone in your party will be served at once, you will have a very pleasant meal. The pork chop is exceptional

Reviewed September 29, 2013

Dined there under its new moniker "The Prairie Whale." Restaurant was only about half full so was surprised at how long the it took for both the appetizers and main to arrive. Drink orders (just a glass of wine and a glass of beer, nothing complicated) placed when we first sat down were not served until after the appetizers were cleared and before the mains arrived. Home cured prosciutto was nice with a very good flavor but was sliced a bit thick. Kale and sausage soup was nicely flavored and not too salty as some restaurant soups can be. Grass-fed beef burger was quite good and properly grilled. If the quality of the service matched the quality of the food then the restaurant could justify its prices. One can tolerate a mediocre staff in a great restaurant where the food compensates for other sins, but the food at the Prairie Whale, while good, is not good enough to out weigh the poor quality of service.

2  Thank misplacedmidwestern
Reviewed September 9, 2013

I had dinner there on Saturday night and was extremely disappointed. I ordered the brick chicken. The accompanying sides were not to my liking and I asked if I could have a different vegetable and/or roasted potatoes. The server alluded to me it would probably be a problem, she' d have to talk to the chef and the manager! All for a different vegetable. After their conversations, all they offered was French fries-I clearly wanted something more healthful but they didn't care. When the food came out, I was not happy. The chicken was the saltiest chicken I have ever tasted, the salad was salty and so were the French fries (which I didn't want to begin with). My sisters burger was loaded with salt too. Our lips were burning from the salt after the meal! Our server was the only good thing about our experience there. I can't figure out why that place is so busy. It's expensive. The decor is awful. Ugly wood panelling, with no pictures or decoration at all. When I asked for a piece of corn bread, I was told I'd have to buy a basket for 6 dollars! There are so many wonderful restaurants in Great Barrington and Egremont. Try some others. You'll be glad you did.

1  Thank Funtravel25
Reviewed September 3, 2013

Great Brick Chicken, good burger, great appetizers, good drinks, good service, lively crowd. We went twice and were very satisfied both times.