“A kids place with an attitude”
Review of Ski Butternut

Ski Butternut
Long Beach, New York
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 44 helpful votes
“A kids place with an attitude”
Reviewed February 27, 2011

Butternut is a well kept, safe, and clean ski resort. The lodge is one of the best around. The slopes are well maintained, but it is a beginner to intermediate level ski area.
It is not a place for the advanced skiier and there are 50,000 kids under 8 years old there at any given time. So you have to deal with them and chairlifts that take about 20 minutes to get to the top of the mountain, since they stop every 5 seconds because someone fell getting on or off.
But I did have a good time there recently. I found a few more challenging trails that weren.t overloaded with 6 year olds slowly wedging across the slopes.
What I didn't like was the attitude there. I was skiing alone and NOBODY was willing to group up on the Quad or Triple chairs. They insisted on riding by themselves and would let empty chairs go by so they wouldn't have to join me as I ride up.
So take notice there how many chairs go up either empty or with only one or two passengers.
Part of the fault lies with the lift operators who do not group up the riders in 3's or 4's and let the kids or the parents ride up as a two-some instead of a group.
So the lines move even slower than they should.
I got into an a heated argument with one woman and her son because she refused to ride up with me on the triple chair and I nearly got hit by the moving chair while I waited for her to move up with me to load. She thought it was her own private chair and I had no business to join her and her son to ride up on it.
And the life operators were no help as they saw this happen time after time.
That's Butternut for ya.

Visited February 2011
1 Thank longislanderlloyd

Cambridge, Massachusetts
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“The friendliest mountain”
Reviewed February 20, 2011

I can't fault Ski Butternut. The only way it could get better is if it was on a bigger mountain, as it is they know exactly what kind of mountain they are and doing an excellent job at it.

They staff are just the right amount of friendly, and are genuine in their desire to make you have the best skiing experience you can (usually by being friendly and leaving you to your own devices).

The trails are always excellently maintained.

Downside? Its too popular for its own good :-) Holiday weekends (MLK in particular) get crazy.

Visited January 2011
2 Thank tsmarsh
central CT
32 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 76 helpful votes
“Great local ski area”
Reviewed March 15, 2010

I skied here with my spouse and two small kids for the first time this year, and we liked it enough to come back another weekend. It was about a 1.5 hour drive for us from central CT, so it was much closer than VT mountains and an easy daytrip. We were there on weekends but as members of the CT ski council we got $20 off per adult ticket. In general prices are good here and there are a few deals that can save you some money. Lift lines did not seem to be a big problem even on weekends, and the slopes were not crowded either. Many choices of trail, some narrow but most wide. Difficulty levels were fine for intermediate skiers, although the black diamonds were pretty easy for seasoned skiers. Seemed to be a well-run place, and I feel we will come back a few times each season. I agreee with a previous poster that the food in the snack bar is particularly bad and you should bring your own food if possible.

2 Thank mattabessett
28 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 156 helpful votes
“Great little mountain”
Reviewed March 10, 2009

We had already skied two days at Jiminy Peak but our friends were staying in Barrington so we took a trip down to Butternut to join them the first week of March '09. We visited on a Wednesday and had a ball. The lifts are definitely not "express" but there were no lines and you can't beat the $20 midweek lift ticket prices. Snow was in great condition after a couple of inches fell on Monday. Runs were never crowded and we thoroughly enjoyed watching the older folks gather with friends and dine on their wine and cheese for lunch.

Lots of tables in the lodge so you can bring your own lunch. We found some Entertainment coupons on line and saved $10 on each of four tickets so three of us skied for $30 and I was able to save the gentleman in front of me $10 also thanks to the kind cashier who re-did his transaction.

Would disagree with previous poster in that the runs are very narrow - not a good place for beginning snowboarders. Tons of trees give you the feeling that the mountain is small since you can't see all the trails but there was plenty of terrain to fill our day.

4 Thank bdaygirl
CA
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Intermediate ideal for kids”
Reviewed January 2, 2008

Never steep nor narrow, Butternut is a welcoming intermediate area well suited to families and kids under 10. Top Flight chair to the top provides access to surprisingly long runs for an area that feels smaller. Drive time vs skiing experience is reasonably well balanced at an easy 1hr 45min from Stamford, CT. "Four Hour ski pass" saves $5 per ticket and is just right for most younger kids. Ample indoor seating, but the Snack Bar's food is pretty gross.

3 Thank lannyweb