“Great family mountain”
Review of Ski Butternut

Ski Butternut
Reviewed December 29, 2011

I love that the terraine park is only available to skiiers after they complete a short class on ski and snowboard safety!

2  Thank Karen S

Reviewed November 6, 2011

I would say best ski facilities in berkshire. Though very crowded specially in weekends we got proper attention and good response from the staff. We had fun skiing here. Weather was quit good in a January weeend and we enjoyed at fullest. Next winter planning to visit with big group of friends.

3  Thank 30rockil
Reviewed June 29, 2011

Butternut has ski school for all ages and skill levels. You can always get into a class as they seem to flex the number of classes to accommodate everyone who shows up. We skied on Christmas Day. The mountain was busy but didn't feel overrun. My kids had a blast. The instructors were nice and the classes fit well with their skill levels. The lodge is plain but there's decent food and plenty of tables so you can bring your own snacks/food. The mountain is small but feels very manageable for beginners and families.

2  Thank wellheeledboston
Reviewed February 27, 2011

Butternut is a well kept, safe, and clean ski resort. The lodge is one of the best around. The slopes are well maintained, but it is a beginner to intermediate level ski area.
It is not a place for the advanced skiier and there are 50,000 kids under 8 years old there at any given time. So you have to deal with them and chairlifts that take about 20 minutes to get to the top of the mountain, since they stop every 5 seconds because someone fell getting on or off.
But I did have a good time there recently. I found a few more challenging trails that weren.t overloaded with 6 year olds slowly wedging across the slopes.
What I didn't like was the attitude there. I was skiing alone and NOBODY was willing to group up on the Quad or Triple chairs. They insisted on riding by themselves and would let empty chairs go by so they wouldn't have to join me as I ride up.
So take notice there how many chairs go up either empty or with only one or two passengers.
Part of the fault lies with the lift operators who do not group up the riders in 3's or 4's and let the kids or the parents ride up as a two-some instead of a group.
So the lines move even slower than they should.
I got into an a heated argument with one woman and her son because she refused to ride up with me on the triple chair and I nearly got hit by the moving chair while I waited for her to move up with me to load. She thought it was her own private chair and I had no business to join her and her son to ride up on it.
And the life operators were no help as they saw this happen time after time.
That's Butternut for ya.

1  Thank longislanderlloyd
Reviewed February 20, 2011

I can't fault Ski Butternut. The only way it could get better is if it was on a bigger mountain, as it is they know exactly what kind of mountain they are and doing an excellent job at it.

They staff are just the right amount of friendly, and are genuine in their desire to make you have the best skiing experience you can (usually by being friendly and leaving you to your own devices).

The trails are always excellently maintained.

Downside? Its too popular for its own good :-) Holiday weekends (MLK in particular) get crazy.

2  Thank tsmarsh