“Beautiful inn, great experience!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Thornewood Inn

Thornewood Inn
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Beautiful inn, great experience!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 5, 2006

I'm shocked to see the negative reviews on this site about Thornewood Inn. We stayed there for two nights last week -- the inn & grounds are stunning, our room was beautifully decorated and clean, and Terry and Dave were wonderful hosts. It is true that the inn is on a main road as was mentioned by another reviewer -- but that is true of all of the lodging that we saw in Great Barrington. And we never heard traffic in our room -- only the peace and quiet of the beautiful backyard. I had a nice soak in the bathroom's jacuzzi after a cold, rainy day, and Terry cooked some of the best waffles I've ever had for breakfast. Highly recommended!

• Liked — Beautiful grounds/rooms, great hosts.
  • Disliked — Not within walking distance of downtown.
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Arlington, MA
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 20, 2006

Based on the pictures on the inn's website and the price of the rooms I was a bit surprised to find that the service was below average, the inn is right on a busy road, the rooms need to be updated, and there is a serious lack of amenities.

While the rooms were clean and there was a certain charm to the place, this inn should lower its prices or spend some money to improve the overall quality.

• Liked — Pretty porch
  • Disliked — shabbiness of room
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled with friends
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank ElizaJ
Maryland
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 4, 2006

I had really looked forward to staying at this inn and brought my two young nieces with me. We also had a "suite" room, which I was disappointed in - beware, the photo of "Garden II" is VERY flattering. My nieces are used to staying in old hotels in Europe, and the general shabbiness didn't bother them. They were enchanted by the garden area and the many collections throughout the hotel. Prior to our arrival, I sent an email requesting extra towels and a hairdryer. When I got there I was told that no one had even checked email for the inn that day!

The innkeeper was a bit curt when we checked in, I thought that maybe she was just tired. However, the next morning she was still out of sorts.

We found ourselves locked out of the breakfast room. We were admitted when we knocked, but it was beyond the stated time for the breakfast to start. When toast and cereal were finally brought out, we started to serve ourselves - I was dumbfounded when I heard the remark "Just couldn't wait, could you?" from the innkeeper! I replied, "No, we couldn't." We were there for my niece's graduation and really didn't have the time to wait around for a late breakfast. I tried to make light of this scolding with the girls, fortunately, they are easy going kids and just decided that the woman was having a "bad morning."

We stayed one night and I left a ten dollar tip for housekeeping.
After returning home, I realized that I had left a pair of shoes. I contacted the inn both by email (which was apparently never checked) and by phone, saying that I would pay for postage and handling for the return of my shoes. No answer. By this time, I was tired of having to deal with ill tempered people and just gave up. I would NEVER stay here again.

• Liked — Location, safety. Fascinating collections throughout the inn.
  • Disliked — Personnel
  • Stayed May 2006, traveled with family
3 Thank auntbuff
A TripAdvisor Member
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 20, 2006

My husband and I just returned from the Thornwood Inn. What a disappointment! We chose the inn based on some reviews and the inn's website (a total misrepresentation). The inn itself is run down (in and out) and not very clean. The building needed a new paint job and there were overgrown weeds in the fron and back. Inside looked shabby and untidy. The ceiling in one of the sitting rooms was literally falling down and all of the rooms were dusty and in need of a makeover.

The "suite" room was a hodge podge of furniture with no rhyme or reason to anything. Nothing matched. The bathroom did have a jacuzzi tub squeezed into a room that was only really big enough for a stall shower. The towels were old and faded, there were no tissues and we ran out of toilet paper. The room was so bright in the morning (the door to the courtyard had transparent curtains) that I had to hang the bedspread over the rod.

We thought that breakfast had to be better. We were so wrong! We had to let the innkeeper know we were ready to eat. She told us to help ourselves to the "buffet." Cereal, bread and some old soggy pancakes. She did bring us some bacon (5 pieces) and when I had trouble lifting the pancakes out of the tray, offered to bring me fresh ones. There weren't enough coffee cups and I had to ask for sweetener. The table was never set to begin with, so she had to take care of that while we stood and waited. We couldn't wait to get out of there.

We were charged over $200 for this substandard experience. Traveleres BEWARE!!

• Stayed May 2006
4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Massachusetts
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 1, 2005

My husband and I had stayed at the Thornewood about seven years ago when we had kids at camp in the area. We remembered it as being a charming inn that included a wonderful breakfast. We were very disappointed with our weekend stay in mid July. The furniture in the room was worn and in places had not been dusted in a while. I had to ask for a hair dryer which was promptly brought to me, but for what we were paying I felt should have been in the room. The location was much closer to the highway and much noisier than I remembered. Perhaps most disappointing of all were the breakfasts. They were minimal self-service offerings and not particularly good. Given how poor the breakfasts were, we were not tempted to try dinner. We noticed that there were very few people in the restaurant (Spencer's) on either Friday or Saturday night.

One other problem with our stay, which was not the inn's fault, was that there is no cell phone service (at least for Verizon customers) in the South Berkshires. That alone would make us stay elsewhere on our next trip to the area.

• Stayed July 2005
A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 3, 2004

We arrived on a Friday night to be greeted by Paula at check-in. The appearance of the inn at night decorated for the fall season with the lights glowing on the cornstalks and pumpkins and porch made a grand entrance to this country inn. We were impressed already. We were warmly greeted by Paula who gave us all the information in the area we needed to have a great time in the Berkshires. We also booked our Saturday night dinner reservations at Spencers for Saturday night. Paula told us Dave Thorne would be playing music at 7:30. We were comfortable in the Garden room and happy with the accomodations. The complimentary breakfast was o.k. but we've had so much better at other B&B's. On Sunday the Spencer restaurant has a brunch at 10:30 for the public. I would recommend that the innkeepers include the brunch for the overnight guests as well. It would have been a nice ending to our stay instead of the minimal breakfast of scrambled eggs and toast we had.

New York, NY
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 6, 2004

From the website, the inn looks like a great place to stay. However, looks can be decieving. When we got there we found that our room was in the basement underneath the restaurant. Not only did the basement have a smell to it, but was not as pretty as the lobby. In addition, we thought by having a two room suite we would have a high quality room. However the couch with a pull out bed was so uncomfortable, I had back pains for the next two days and there was no air condition in the master bedroom. Also, the free breakfast served is much to desire. We decided to eat elsewhere after the first day. None of us wanted scramble eggs and sour pinapple and melon.

1 Thank NYCtravelgal523
Also consider these accommodations in or near Great Barrington
The Red Lion Inn
The Red Lion Inn
#1 of 1 in Stockbridge
Fairfield Inn & Suites Lenox Great Barrington/Berkshires
Fairfield Inn & Suites Lenox Gre...
#2 of 9 in Great Barrington
Holiday Inn Express Great Barrington
Holiday Inn Express Great Barrin...
#7 of 9 in Great Barrington
Black Swan Inn Berkshires, an Ascend Collection Hotel
Lantern House Motel Great Barrington
Lantern House Motel Great Barrin...
#3 of 9 in Great Barrington
Briarcliff Motel
Briarcliff Motel
#1 of 9 in Great Barrington

Been to Thornewood Inn? Share your experiences!