“Disappointing return visit”
Review of Thornewood Inn

Thornewood Inn
Reviewed August 1, 2005

My husband and I had stayed at the Thornewood about seven years ago when we had kids at camp in the area. We remembered it as being a charming inn that included a wonderful breakfast. We were very disappointed with our weekend stay in mid July. The furniture in the room was worn and in places had not been dusted in a while. I had to ask for a hair dryer which was promptly brought to me, but for what we were paying I felt should have been in the room. The location was much closer to the highway and much noisier than I remembered. Perhaps most disappointing of all were the breakfasts. They were minimal self-service offerings and not particularly good. Given how poor the breakfasts were, we were not tempted to try dinner. We noticed that there were very few people in the restaurant (Spencer's) on either Friday or Saturday night.

One other problem with our stay, which was not the inn's fault, was that there is no cell phone service (at least for Verizon customers) in the South Berkshires. That alone would make us stay elsewhere on our next trip to the area.

• Stayed: July 2005

Watertown, CT
Reviewed October 3, 2004

We arrived on a Friday night to be greeted by Paula at check-in. The appearance of the inn at night decorated for the fall season with the lights glowing on the cornstalks and pumpkins and porch made a grand entrance to this country inn. We were impressed already. We were warmly greeted by Paula who gave us all the information in the area we needed to have a great time in the Berkshires. We also booked our Saturday night dinner reservations at Spencers for Saturday night. Paula told us Dave Thorne would be playing music at 7:30. We were comfortable in the Garden room and happy with the accomodations. The complimentary breakfast was o.k. but we've had so much better at other B&B's. On Sunday the Spencer restaurant has a brunch at 10:30 for the public. I would recommend that the innkeepers include the brunch for the overnight guests as well. It would have been a nice ending to our stay instead of the minimal breakfast of scrambled eggs and toast we had.

Reviewed September 6, 2004

From the website, the inn looks like a great place to stay. However, looks can be decieving. When we got there we found that our room was in the basement underneath the restaurant. Not only did the basement have a smell to it, but was not as pretty as the lobby. In addition, we thought by having a two room suite we would have a high quality room. However the couch with a pull out bed was so uncomfortable, I had back pains for the next two days and there was no air condition in the master bedroom. Also, the free breakfast served is much to desire. We decided to eat elsewhere after the first day. None of us wanted scramble eggs and sour pinapple and melon.

1  Thank NYCtravelgal523
Pocono Pines , PA
Reviewed August 20, 2004

We stayed at the Thornwood Inn for a couple of nights in August. We found it to be very comfortable and clean. The Inkeeper and staff were polite and very helpfull. We enjoyed the nicely manicured grounds and in-ground pool. The rooms were tastefully decorated and we would happily recommend this Inn to anyone!

Thank you ! Jim Martin

Sturbridge, MA
Reviewed May 13, 2004

My wife and I received a gift certificate for our anniversary to the Thornewood Inn and we had a WONDERFUL weekend. We were warmly greeted and shown to our spacious guest room complete with a large jacuzzi tub. Waiting for us in our room was a bottle of chilled champange and a fresh fruit and cheese plate. Later that evening, we dined at Spencers restaurant where we enjoyed a freshly prepared, and delicious, country dinner and homemade desserts. The ambience was romantic and soothing, just what we were looking for. The owner is a talented musician and has a beautiful singing style and voice, which serenaded us over dinner. We hope to make this our "special" anniversary get-away in the years to come.

Puerto Vallarta, Mexico
Reviewed March 27, 2004

I recentley visited the quaint but vibrant town of Great Barrington and stayed with 2 wonderful innkeeps at The Thornewood Inn......Terry & David Thorne. They have an absolutley charming place with wonderful service that dealt with all of our needs and desires. The ambiance is pure New England. I would go back in a heartbeat. Thanks Dave & Terry

Boston, MA
Reviewed November 30, 2002

We checked-in Saturday afternoon, went out for a hike and dinner, and returned just before 11:00 p.m. When we returned, the temperature in our room was no more than 60 degrees. We tried to turn on the heat, but we were unsuccessful. So, we tried to contact the staff for help,
but again we were unsuccessful. We decided to take hot showers. But I could not find a hair-dryer in the room. So, after showering, I was stuck in a cold room with wet hair. We searched for extra blankets, but there were none. The air was damp that night, and my hair never dried. Moreover, our towels never dried, and there were only two towels in the room, so when we freshened up in the morning we had only wet towels.

I understand that the Thornewood Inn is an inn, not a full-service hotel, and that perhaps I could have requested a hair-dryer, extra towels, and extra blankets earlier in the day. But, the lack of heat is inexcusable. I learned on Sunday morning from Paula, the receptionist that the heat in our room was controlled by our upstairs neighbors! I do not know if the room above us was inhabited by other guests--- who were oblivious to the fact that they controlled our heat---or by employees of the inn---who for some reason left us out in the cold. All I do know is that we paid top dollar to stay at the Thornewood Inn, rather than go camping, but the environment was not much different than sleeping outside!

My sister and her husband were also guests at the Thornewood Inn. They stayed for 3 nights. They booked a getaway package, which was supposed to include champagne and fresh fruit. Neither the champagne nor the fruit were prepared for them upon arrival--in the end, they were forced to ask for perks that were supposed to be included in their package!

Finally, breakfast was one and a half pieces of French toast, 3 blueberries, and 2 quarters of a strawberry. There was no fruit bar, or yogurt bar, or granola bar, or cereal bar. There was very little to eat, and so much to do. We ate breakfast at 9:00 a.m., went for a short walk around Benedict Pond, and by 11:00 a.m., we were all anxious for lunch!

The cost of our room at the Thornewood Inn was \$170. I find this price outrageous, given how uncomfortable we were. I would like to be refunded for the cost of my stay. I would also like for my sister to be refunded the cost of at least 1 of her 3 nights, since on her third night (Saturday night), she also had no heat and was as uncomfortable
as we were.

Lest you think that I am one who is prone to complain, let me assure you that I write letters after unusually good service, just as I write letters after unusually bad service. As an example, feel free to contact the Pompano Beach Club in Bermuda, to whom we wrote a beautiful letter after a wonderful stay last Easter. I am very happy to give praise where praise is due.

16  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Great Barrington
The Red Lion Inn
The Red Lion Inn
#1 of 1 in Stockbridge
Black Swan Inn Berkshires, an Ascend Collection Hotel
Lantern House Motel Great Barrington
Lantern House Motel Great Barrin...
#3 of 10 in Great Barrington
Fairfield Inn & Suites Lenox Great Barrington/Berkshires
Fairfield Inn & Suites Lenox Gre...
#2 of 10 in Great Barrington
Wainwright Inn
Wainwright Inn
#1 of 12 in Great Barrington
Windflower Inn
Windflower Inn
#2 of 12 in Great Barrington

Been to Thornewood Inn? Share your experiences!