“Great spot. Definitely recommend”
Review of Briarcliff Motel

Briarcliff Motel
Ranked #1 of 10 Hotels in Great Barrington
Reviewed July 20, 2013

Similar to all other reviews. Room was immaculate and nicely decorated - be sure to look on their website to see how the owners creatively modernized this spot. We were only here for one night to see a Tanglewood concert but we will be back. Enjoyed our stay. Claire and Richard were great hosts even though we were in the middle of a heat wave (temps in the high 90's). A/C in the room worked beautifully. Claire gave us some great suggestions for where to find picnic fixings and best route to Tanglewood. Breakfast was delicious with premium coffee, homemade granola and yogurt, plenty of fresh fruit and delicious homemade baked scones and pumpkin bread. We did find water pressure in our room a bit low which was the only negative. Highly recommend for couples, families and anyone traveling through or visiting the area.

Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
ClareBriar, Owner at Briarcliff Motel, responded to this reviewResponded August 10, 2013

Thank you so much for the wonderful review! So glad you had a good time, and it was great to meet you both, albeit briefly. Just wanted to add a quick comment on your 'negative': we usually have good water pressure here as we have our own wells, but the week you were here we'd had guys twiddling with our system to upgrade and improve it, so I'm wondering if that may have caused a temporary lack of pressure. All fixed now, part of our ongoing programme to upgrade and improve this historic 1960 motorlodge.

Reviewed July 15, 2013

Enjoyed our stay at the Briarcliff and particularly loved the breakfast and thought the hosts were extremely friendly and helpful. Room is very clean and modern and attractive, but the bathroom is a little cramped and there wasn't enough light or storage in the room. A very friendly atmosphere and the hosts gave us great advice on where to go and what to do. Would definitely stay here again if we were in the area...

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 8, 2013 via mobile

My husband, baby son and I stayed here for one night only, but we very much enjoyed our stay and wish we could have stayed longer. The rooms were extremely clean and well-decorated; it was probably my first time staying in a hotel where I looked at the bedding and other furnishings and thought they were items I'd actually pick out to decorate my own home! I do wish there were shades on all the front windows in the room (only the large middle window had a shade; the others had curtains to allow for privacy, but the curtains were fairly sheer and let a good amount of light in). The location is good, right off the main road---this means the street is pretty busy (well, busy for the Berkshires), but the motel is set far back and we never noticed any noise from cars while in our room. They're in the midst of a lawn renovation out front, and that will add a LOT to make the place more beautiful; I hope to return once it's complete. Breakfast was lovely (local coffee with cream, scones, muffins, granola with yogurt, fruit) and the hosts were extremely pleasant and helpful, too.

• Stayed: July 2013
Reviewed July 5, 2013

Great experience at the Briarcliff, as others have noted Clare & Richard have created a very special place. The room was spotless, the bedding crisp and modern, the bed itself very comfortable - we slept so soundly we almost missed the delicious scones served at breakfast. Bathroom was also very clean tho somewhat sparse. I appreciate a place for my toiletries but the small shelf above the sink did not hold much and there was no hook on the bathroom door which usually makes things more manageable - small concerns which would certainly not keep us from returning to this great spot. The price was good for high season in the Berkshires & we were able to book a single night which was also very much appreciated. Free wi-fi also a plus. Location is excellent for shopping & dining in both Great Barrington & Stockbridge, short distance to the Norman Rockwell Museum and Tanglewood.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 30, 2013 via mobile

I met my old friend in Great Barrington for a meet up with our children. We picked the area just because it was in between our locations. We were so happy we did. The Briarcliff was great. We had two adults and five kids between us and we stayed in a set of adjoining rooms. Our kids had a great time and we all loved the breakfast. The owners were above and beyond in how helpful they were and made our stay truly fabulous. They recommended a fabulous family event at Tanglewood that I never would have found on my own. I left for home with my children having enjoyed a marvelous and happy time in a gorgeous area. I strongly recommend this hotel and this area for families and I hope we can go back. I feel happy to have such lovely memories of shared family time with a good friend at the Briarcliff.

• Stayed: June 2013
Reviewed June 27, 2013 via mobile

How a pair of great partners can make a place so special.. In the most simple way.

I love what they are trying to achieve with the location, and hope to see their vision for the location come to life in our next few trips to the area. ... All the good reviews are true. I will not bore you by repeating it, please read on to other guest's excellent reviews. ... This is how America needs to run motels! Outstanding small business with special personal touch <3

• Stayed: June 2013
1  Thank Eiji N
Reviewed June 6, 2013

What a great place this is. We spent a couple of nights here at the end of May and couldn't have wished for a nicer place to explore the Berkshires from. Claire and Richard are great hosts and really knowledgeable about the local area - important when you want to get the most out of a short stay. Their recommendations for eating and places to visit were top-notch (the Brick House is a must for eating, and the Norman Rockwell Museum a great place to visit).

Breakfast each morning was great and the (local) coffee excellent. We spent a merry couple of hours on the deck early one evening chatting with another guest and sharing wine . . . and compared travelling stories with another couple of Brits one morning. In fact, I think Brits outweighed the "locals" when we were there!

Our bed was the biggest and most comfy on our entire trip and the decor of the whole motel is lovely (obviously Claire's former life in interior design magazines has some benefits!).

All-in-all a highly recommended place to stay - we'll certainly be back.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Sarah-Keeling
Also consider these accommodations in or near Great Barrington
Fairfield Inn & Suites Lenox Great Barrington/Berkshires
Fairfield Inn & Suites Lenox Gre...
#2 of 10 in Great Barrington
Black Swan Inn Berkshires, an Ascend Collection Hotel
The Red Lion Inn
The Red Lion Inn
#1 of 1 in Stockbridge
Lantern House Motel Great Barrington
Lantern House Motel Great Barrin...
#3 of 10 in Great Barrington
Hotel on North
Hotel on North
#1 of 8 in Pittsfield
7 mi away
LakeHouse Inn
LakeHouse Inn
#1 of 9 in Lee

Been to Briarcliff Motel? Share your experiences!