“Very good Mexican Food”

Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed October 17, 2013

If you are looking for this restaurant, be advised that it is in a complex. you have to walk by other shops to get to it. There is a small sign, so be on the lookout. We went for lunch when it was very slow. The service was fast. Both of our meals were very good. Prices are not bad.

2  Thank blondie16

Reviewed September 27, 2013

We drive along Great Barrington's main street frequently, and eat / shop at different places there. But we could not find this restaurant! Encouraged by the reviews, we were determined to find it one night. Oh, was it worth it! The mole was one of the best I've had in the Northeast. The service was quick and very friendly. The menu is varied, with many of the same dishes you'd find in most U.S. Mexican restaurants. Check it out at their web site if you're in doubt. Highly recommended!
And a hint on location: forget about the Main Street address. Find the movie theaters and go into the adjacent parking lot. Turn to face the back of the buildings that front on Main Street. You can't miss their sign from there. Great Barrington has a relatively small downtown area, so circle the block if you miss this the first time.

2  Thank MeterMaid
Reviewed September 21, 2013

Discovered this by recommendation and was not disappointed! The owner, Nester, is on top of things right from your arrival. Service was fast, meal was excellent. I had veggie echiladas which were delicous. I cannot tolerate much of the tex-mex cuisine out there. This is as close to eating in Mexico as you'll get in the area.

2  Thank mlv0619
Reviewed September 10, 2013 via mobile

Husband has been on numerous occasions but went as couple. Home made chips bought to table were very good. One of us had the enchilada special with the mole sauce, the other the signature shrimp tacos. Both were delicious but the mole sauce was over the top fantastic. Service was fine. Little pricy but consistent with other places in the area. We will be back.

2  Thank upstate2
Reviewed August 31, 2013

Let me begin by observing that although I was raised in the Berkshires, and live here now, I spent nearly half a century in California--both San Diego and San Jose. So I was looking forward to visiting this unpretentious, but cozy little restaurant to satisfy my Mexican food cravings. Since I found "Pollo and Mole" on the menu (odd that it should be that and not "Pollo y Mole" instead) and mole is one of my favorite ways for food to be served, I was bound to order it. Unfortunately, I found it made with far too much chocolate and not nearly enough chili. I found the food consequently just too bland for my taste.The rice was fine, but I was disappointed in this area so devoted to healthy living to find the beans refried. Tortillas had to be ordered separately, though they (corn) were very nice. The service was polite and efficient, although I was surprised, when I ordered a house salad to receive one so large. I discovered why it was so large when the check arrived. There are not one, but two salads called "house salad," one a side salad and the other a main course. For some inexplicable reason the server interpreted my request for a house salad to accompany my pollo to mean the main course. I guess she thought I wanted two main courses. I ordered oil and vinegar as the dressing, since I wanted to be able to control how much of each I wanted to add to the salad, but sadly it came premixed.

The chips and salsa that were served first were good, though, but the drinks were rather skimpy on alcohol (I had a very short Tanqueray gin on the rocks and my wife had the house margarita, which I sampled, finding it much too fruity, without enough tequila taste).

I should add that my wife had the combo plate, and enjoyed it, but she has a preference for food that is a lot less spicy than would satisfy my taste buds. All in all, it is good to be aware of the idiosyncrasies of the restaurant (and its menu), including that the room in which we were seated (in a booth by the bar) has considerably more ambiance than the front room.

5  Thank RevL05