“great view from the top. fine scenery on the way up.”
Review of Monument Mountain

Monument Mountain
More attraction details
Owner description: Ascend this popular peak, which once drew 19th-century literary giants, and from its summit gaze across the spectacular landscapes of the Housatonic River Valley.
Reviewed November 24, 2012

My wife and I took the blue trail and part of the red trail to the summit. We are not mountain climbers by any stretch of the imagination, so it provided a modest challenge. We went up the blue trail and part of the red to the first summit. It was a fine fall day and we had a great walk in the woods.

Reviewed November 10, 2012

This hike to the top of Monument Mountain and back took a few hours, but the effort was well worth it. My legs ached the next day, but the lovely views made it all worthwhile. The trail is well traversed, so you will meet and greet fellow travelers. The trail is rocky, especially towards the top, but don't give up and use a walking stick if you have one.

Reviewed November 8, 2012

Excellent hiking trails which are all well posted. Natural trails but still family friendly and beautiful views from the top.

1  Thank Charlotte L
Reviewed November 6, 2012

Growing up in Housatonic a hike up to Squaw Peak as well as Flag Rock is just a rite of passage. As I approach my 70th year I thought that I had better make the hike one more time while I was still able! We took the easier trail around the back of Squaw Peak so the first 3/4 of the trek is a manageable incline. The last bit is straight up rock steps that took some time. We stopped and had a snack of apples before reaching the top. It was worth it. There was still come colorful foliage in the valley and on surrounding hills. A great day for a hike, followed by a tasty late lunch at 20 Railroad Street!

1  Thank SearlesGirl
Reviewed November 5, 2012

Beautiful hike, just make sure you keep your dog on a leash, there are a lot of steep spots that could be dangerous for an untethered dog.