“fun local spot”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Gypsy Joynt - CLOSED

Gypsy Joynt
Cuisines: American
Good for: Bar scene, Dining on a budget, Large groups, Families with children
Dining options: Drinks, Dinner, Brunch, Lunch, Late Night, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Wheelchair Accessible
New England
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“fun local spot”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 27, 2014

I was at the Joynt a few weeks ago to listen to my friend play some great music. I ordered a grilled shrimp quesadilla. Wow a nice surprise, fresh grilled shrimp with a spicy mayo dressing for $10. I will order that little gem again. The ordering and service there is confusing so just speak up and find out what you are supposed to do. They run their ship in their own way. funky

• Visited January 2014

Pittsfield, Massachusetts
“Great food but Rude staff”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 9, 2013 via mobile

Came with my husband and we were very excited to try this place. Since we had not been we took seats at the bar and got ignored for 15 minutes while the staff hung out talking with each other. After we did order drinks, we wanted to order food not knowing you have to go order it at the front (which is totally fine). Meanwhile the guy sitting next to us kept glaring at us and rolling his eyes. Then he goes back behind the bar and starts working! Instead of treating us like we are annoying idiots, he could have told us to go order at the front! Anyway, we did figure it out and when the food was ready it was Delishous! BUT the bartender who took our original drink order NEVER came back and the bartender that was sitting next to us wouldn't acknowledge us. We planned on a few more drinks but couldn't get anyone to serve us! So we asked the bartender for the tab for the two drinks we had, and he literally ignored us and we know he heard us! We ended up leaving and not paying for the drinks! We went to the Well Bar for more drinks and were treated great and had our friends meet us there instead.

Visited November 2013
2 Thank Nikki_P16
montpelier, vt
“A must if you are anywhere near Great Barrington!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 8, 2013 via mobile

Here's the short short version, because I can rave about this place for an hour... Basically THE best grass fed burger you will EVER have. Locally sourced food and awesome beer on tap. And they have cinnamon buns made on site that are as big as your face. No lie. I am staring at them right now. This is the 3rd time I've been here. I may have to buy one, just to say I did...

Charleston, SC
“Great healthy options, and some decadent ones too”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 5, 2013

My friend and I were passing through on our way to Albany, NY. We were looking for some good food after shopping for hours at the Lee Premium Outlets. I pulled out my trusty Yelp app and we found ourselves at the Gypsy Joynt.

I was a little concerned that we were not going to be able to sit down and eat. It is the kind of establishment where you order at the register and they bring the food to you. On the Thursday night we were there, it was packed. However, by the time that we decided what we wanted, and then ordered, I had snagged a table.

This is a very eclectic place, with a small stage for live music, a bar, a bakery, and a small outdoor area in the front to enjoy some adult beverages or eat. The place is decorated with funky art and behind the counter is a huge mural of the family members that own and operate the Gypsy Joynt. Many of them were recognizable in the restaurant and lived up to their Gypsy name.

My friend and I both ordered the grilled salmon salad. It was supposed to come with grilled asparagus, but they were out, so we substituted with grilled zucchini. It was a really fresh, great sized, great tasting salad, and for the amount of salmon that was on it. it was certainly worth $10.

We also both ordered a mini pie to take with us.

At the Gypsy Joynt, you bus your own table, and get your own water, which we were both totally fine with.

I wish I could have stayed longer in Great Barrington, but now I have something to look forward to if I ever return.

Visited July 2013
Great Barrington, Massachusetts
“One of my favorite spots”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 29, 2013

I'm really surprised by a couple of the reviews above as my experiences at the Gypsy Joynt have always been so positive. I've eaten there at least 20 times and had the occasional "not friendly service" but if you're a regular anywhere you're going to find a server that has a bad day. The Weller family are a colorful and fun bunch and you're likely to find three generations there on any given day. The food is always good, the vibe always laid back, and the baked goods always excellent. I agree that the service could be faster at times but part of the "vibe" of the place is how relaxed it is. If you're on a 30 minute lunch break call ahead. I live and work in GB and the Gypsy Joynt is one of the few local spots I spend my money. If you haven't been there before the ordering part can be confusing so:
Order and pay at the bar first, find your seat, take the time to look at all the cool pictures, artwork, and funkiness then enjoy.
Make sure you try a cinnamon roll (the size of a vw tire) or the tiramisu, cookies. You can't go wrong.
Again, I visit the Gypsy Joynt because the vibe is so fabulous. If you're looking for a "laced up" restaurant go to any other place in GB.

• Visited November 2013