“Nice place but food just OK this time”

20 Railroad Public House
Good for: Families with children, Bar scene
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner
Description: We will be closed for renovations March 1st to mid April. Sorry for any inconvenience, see you soon!
“Nice place but food just OK this time”
Reviewed February 19, 2014 via mobile

We ate here two tears ago when last in Great Barrington and it was really good. This time I think they had an off night maybe not helped that it was 1 degree fahrenhiet outside.
The service was good and most of out party of 9 had burgers which themselves were good. However the meal was let down by one wings starter being short on the number of wings and the fries that came with the burgers being cold.
Also the restaurant was cold.
Now, as I said, it was very cold outside and I think the restaurant was not cooing with this.
On balance I would go back again as it had been great on the previous vist.
Overall it is a fun place to go with good burgers so I will just put this down to an off night

Visited February 2014

Parkland, Florida
“Cheers”
Reviewed December 31, 2013 credit card Amex Card Member Review

Looking for a pub like Cheers....here it is. Great food and drinks, great atmosphere where you are always welcomed. Adam is my favorite bartender anywhere. A must visit in Great Barrington.

Visited December 2013
Great Barrington
“Great value pub food and beyond”
Reviewed December 28, 2013

20 Railroad has been around forever but several years ago they stepped up their game and they now offer a wide selection of well-prepared items. The regular pub fare such as chicken wings come in a variety of "flavors". Other appetizer items are crispy spring rolls, shrimp and scallop skewers,nachos... The burgers are huge and come with many toppings and fries of course. The fish tacos are great and my usual favorite is the grilled salmon which comes in several preparations on top of a variety of salads. The servings are generous and very satisfying. The bar also serves up a great selection of beers,wines by the glass or bottle and mixed drinks,of course.
The atmosphere is laid back with local folks like us and out-of -towners looking for a casual meal with something for everyone on the menu. In the summer they open up the front of the place so it almost feels like being outside,yet it is also warm enough in the winter.
This is not gourmet dining but the food is well prepared,the service is attentive and the prices are reasonable.

• Visited November 2013
Saint Louis, Missouri
“Very Nice Meal”
Reviewed December 27, 2013

I was looking for a place to have dinner in Great Barrington the Monday before Christmas and it was getting a little bit late to think I would find something. The smell of burgers was wafting from 20 Railroad Street and I knew where I would have my supper. I had a wonderful IPA and ordered the burger special, a blue cheese burger. It was delicious but definitely a knife-and-fork burger or a 20-napkin burger! This is a good thing! I was satisfied and would certainly return.

• Visited December 2013
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Great Barrington? 20 Railroad Of Course”
Reviewed September 30, 2013

Revisiting Great Barrington after several years and so onto 20 Railroad Street...of course...where else would you go? I remember when Happ (first name Gary?) owned (And I believe opened) the place about 30 years ago. My wife, Barbara, and I differed in our perception of the Berkshires where we lived for so many years. She was struck by changes since we were there and I was struck by how much stayed the same. Certainly, the heart of 20 Railroad seemed unchanged. The cozy somewhat rickety tables are still there. Prices remain pretty reasonable.The old bar is in place. The bathrooms are as they were (still clean though). The service is competent and the typical bar food as always is just better than the average pub. I recommend the burgers which are insanely generous, but the usual pub variety abounds here. The place can get busy...always did. For me, its tough to beat this combination of nostalgia, good food, fine bar and tables that can be cured of wobbliness by a match box placed strategically under one of the legs.

• Visited September 2013