“Excellent food ... weird service ... odd place.”

Allium Restaurant & Bar
Reserve with OpenTable
Allium Restaurant & Bar is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Cuisines: American, Contemporary, Gastropub
Good for: Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Main Street
Transit: For public transportation within Berkshire county, contact Berkshire Regional Transportation Authority (BRTA) at (413) 499-2782 or (800) 292-2782. Great Barrington is also served by Peter Pan Bus (800-343-9999) and Bonanza Bus (800-343-9999) companies.
Description: Allium Restaurant + Bar serves casual contemporary American cuisine highlighting the best of the season in support of independent farmers and artisan producers using sustainable practices. The food is handcrafted by Chef Dan Hardy and his team; they take great care to source local and seasonal ingredients including farm-fresh produce, meats and cheeses. Menu items are paired alongside seasonal and small-production wines, small-batch microbrews and local spirits. Located in the heart of downtown Great Barrington at 42 Railroad Street, Allium Restaurant + Bar serves dinner nightly beginning at 5 p.m. and offers a late-night bar. All major credit cards are accepted. Co-owned and founded by Nancy Thomas and Bo Peabody, Mezze Restaurant Group is comprised of Allium Restaurant + Bar in Great Barrington, Mezze Bistro + Bar in Williamstown and Mezze Catering + Events, which provides full-service event planning. Mezze Restaurant Group is a member of Berkshire Grown, Slow Food and the Berkshire Visitors Bureau.
Reviewed May 10, 2012

This place is not for everyone ... including us.

It is located on a side street in Great Barrington, where there are plenty of resturants but few good ones. It is divided into two obviously different sides. One side is rather stark and quiet, with widely spaced tables and chairs and not much else to write about. The other side is a bar that is noisy and eclectic. Neither side was particularly appealing to us.

We walked in and waited 6 minutes for someone to come to the podium to seat us. This employee apparently doubles as a server and she seemed to either not notice or not care that we were standing there unattended way too long. I was seconds away from walking out.

We took a table in the quiet side. The server, another female, was just plain weird. I'm not even sure how to describe it. She proceeded to annoy me when I tried to order drinks and apps and defer decision on entrees. She explained that it "flows better" if the order is taken all at once. My unspoken response --- I don't really care. Don't tell me how to order. But I was just too tired to be bothered getting into a tussle. At that point I was surely sorry I had not walked out earlier.

The food was amazingly good. The ingredients were fresh and tasty, prepared by someone who clearly knows what he is doing. It is too bad that the service ruined it.

We will not return. I am sure the server and hostess won't care. They didn't seem to want to be there.

2  Thank 0567cg

Reviewed April 24, 2012

Delicious dinner. Had great service and good time.

Reviewed February 20, 2012

A very exciting menu, portion sizes were perfect. The chef has taken some old favorites and given them a new twist.
You must have the lobster gnocchi, it was incredible.

Reviewed December 14, 2011

Well,never really grasped this one,the food is a little different,no complaints but not particularly up my ally.Bar pretty good being a Scotsman and plenty to choose from in it

2  Thank robertbakewell
Reviewed November 3, 2011

the food was unusual (but not too) and everything we ordered was very delicious! Interesting drinks as well. The service and atmosphere (beautiful lighting, and quiet enough for a good talk) were ideal too.