“Friendliest campground I have been to.” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Prospect Mountain Campground

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Granville
Prospect Mountain Campground
“Friendliest campground I have been to.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 25, 2012

Great staff that are friendly and knowledgeable. Lots to do for kids but if your not camping with kids it is also not over run by them. Kid free adult swim times, every game imaginable, and most unbelievable... Friendly Seasonal campers. Never have I been camping where even the seasonal's are friendly. Unbelievable natural setting. Other than the floors that get Sandy as soon as someone walks in the bathroom's are clean. The bath houses have water as hot as you want. The porta potties that are in several locations are emptied regularly, always stocked and auto light when you enter. The grounds are quiet after 11:00PM. This is a family campground with a good old fashioned feeling. Not a Resort party spot. It has all the newer amenities but non of the over priced crowded hype. It is huge and beautiful. I plan to go back many times to come and this was my first time at Prospect Mountian Campground. We camped as 2 adults in a tent.

• Stayed July 2012
3 Thank Wistira
Prospect_Mtn, Manager at Prospect Mountain Campground, responded to this review, January 1, 2013
Hi Wistira,
Thank you so much for all your kind words about our campground. We do our best to keep our facilities clean and well-maintained and our campers happy and having fun. And we do have some truly awesome seasonal campers which it sounds like you must have met. Thank you again and have an amazing winter, before coming back to visit us this summer of course!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Massachusetts, United States
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 18, 2012

I reserved a 'Group Site' at Prospect Mtn this summer. It was sites T-1 through T-5. The folks at Prospect Mtn referred to it as a tenting 'Field'. It looked pretty private & exclusive on the map via their website. I was planning a trip for about 15 to 20 of us - all adults. When I arrived I was at first taken aback by the size of the space. i really couldn't believe they called it a 'Field'. It was about the size of an average back yard. Not a big deal, but I was glad that not all the the 15 to 20 people I had planned on coming actually came. And directly in front of it was a road that people walked/drove down regularly - not private at all. BUT - this is worst part - the ENTIRE 'Field' was COVERED in dog feces. EVERYWHERE. Around the picnic tables, the fire ring, in all the places where our tents would go - dog poop, simply scattered about the entire camp site. From fresh to 7 days old - our camp site(s) were pooped all over. It smelled horrible. Myself and a friend spent about half an hour going around picking up what we could. We had to sprinkle baby powder in places where we couldn't get all the poop off the grass. It was extremely unpleasant. When I mentioned it the staff they apologized and said there probably wasn't enough time to get over to the site and clean it after the last people left. I noted that there was definitely a lot of poop there that was at least a week old. They didn't offer any kind of refund - and it cost $300 to use this group site for 2 nights. Furthermore - they were very understaffed and unable to deliver us the bucket of wood we ordered until the following morning.
Other than these things the campground itself seemed pretty fun for your average lower to middle class families with children. Anyone looking to have a real authentic camping experience should definitely go elsewhere. Nowhere to swim but in a pool always filled with about 50+ children - with the exception of 2 hour long adult swim times carved out of the beginning and ends of each day. Overall not so great experience - won't go there again. Sorry.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank Tracy L
Hi Tracy L,
Thank you for the feedback from your stay with us over the summer. We strive to make every stay a great one and want to make sure we correct any issues we can. Please allow me to apologize again for the state of your campsite upon your arrival. If ever there is an issue with a campsite we urge our campers to please let us know right away and we will be happy to take care of it before you have to. We are also happy to relocate campers if necessary, so it is very important to let us know if there are issues immediately upon arriving. While we do our best to provide a clean site for all of our campers, sometimes those people checking out late without notice can leave the site in a less than respectable condition with no time before the next campers check in and it may unfortunately slip past us. We are indeed very sorry and quite embarrassed that this happened to you. I would also like to apologize for the delay in the delivery of firewood to your campsite during Friday night check-ins. We usually require those requests for larger quantities of wood be made beforehand as on weekends we typically only sell pre-bundled wood, but we do try to fill requests whenever possible and as soon as possible and I hope that this didn't cause too much trouble. Again, we are very sorry for the inconveniences and would love if you would do us the honor of allowing us to make it up to you. Thank you again for your feedback and have a wonderful day!
Hoboken, New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 24, 2012

A very nice family friendly campground. We had the tent sites next to the little pond. It gave a great view of the stars at night, and nice to sit next to in the morning. The bullfrogs and animals were a little loud at night, but hey, that's nature. We were in the area for an event on Sunday and we really appreciated them accommodating us with an 8pm checkout so we didn't have to pack up everything in the morning. We could just go attend the event, and come back afterwards, shower, and then take off. I don't have kids, but there was plenty to do for all them and they all seemed entertained.

Room Tip: Tent sites 13 - 16 are by the pond.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
3 Thank rgb2cmyk
Hi rgb2cmyk,
Thank you for your kind review of our campground. It's always good to know what our campers enjoy about our park. On behalf of those frogs I do apologize though – they can be quite noisy at times, but sadly they never listen to us when we remind them that it's quiet time! I hope the ride was good last summer and let's hope the weather's nice for another good one this year! Thank you again and have a great day!
Marlborough, Massachusetts
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 25, 2011

We stayed in Cabin 10 near the bathrooms- not a far walk from the convenience store or pool. We loved it. The cabin had two rooms - the back room at double bunk beds and the front room had a double bed. We had 6 people with us - 3 kids - 3 adults so it was perfect for us. I have never stayed in a campground cabin before but I am definitely doing it again. We did all of the things you do when you are camping in a tent but the kids were able to sleep early and we were able to sit by the fire and enjoy a beautiful summer night. There are activities for the kids. Paddle boating in a little pond is free. ring a fishing Bpole. The swimming pool was a bit crowded but it was during a heat wave. The convenience store was pretty well stocked despite expensive as you would expect. They have scheduled activities - be sure to ask because we missed them all-but people were talking about having fun at them. It's a bit too far from 6 flags- I would stay closer if that is the purpose of your trip. It had a homey feel that the campgrounds had when I was growing up vs. the commercial feel that many seem to be now. I strongly dislike the parking lot feel some campgrounds have now. We will definitely be back! They didn't charge extra for the car or for having 6 people in the cabin. They didn't seem to be nickel and dime oriented by rather genuine old fashion camping fun with some modern amenities that make it comfortable. There are many seasonal residents there- a couple of the kids were catching frogs near one of the ponds. There were dogs swimming in another of the ponds. They do not have a lake or pond for people to swim in- although the pool is sufficient.-I did miss lake swimming with my kids. They did have group areas that they reserved for groups with firepits in the middle and stuff like that. Some of the cabins even had bathrooms available in them. Ours didn't - we just stayed near one.
They did have internet but I didn't use it.

Have fun and get outdoors! We enjoyed our 3 nights here very much.

Room Tip: I have toddlers so I asked for a cabin near a bathroom. Think about what you need.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
8 Thank qualtyk9
Hi qualtyk9,
Sorry that this is quite a delayed response since we just joined this site. I just read your lovely review and must thank you for your comments and compliments! I'm happy you enjoyed your stay in the cabin – they're quite nice to have the fun of camping without the hassle. It's a shame you missed the scheduled events but it sounds like you kept quite busy with all the outdoor fun anyway! We have themed weekends every weekend with planned events for all of them so we'd love to have you back for one of them to see even more of what we offer. Thank you again for the feedback and I hope you have a great day!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Granville
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Westfield
#1 of 1 in Huntington
The Old Inn on the Green
The Old Inn on the Green
#1 of 2 in New Marlborough

Been to Prospect Mountain Campground? Share your experiences!