The Grafton Inn
$137
$128
GardenInn.com
  • Pool
All reviewslight sleeperfirst floorphelps barnhuntersmatavernhallwayfurnishingscomfort
FilterAll languages
Reviewed July 24, 2009

Please do not stay at this place. We arrived late at night and was told that the room would have a queen size bed and an extra rollaway bed as we had 3 people in our party. The rate was $95 per night. Upon arriving we discovered the room only had a full size bed and no rollaway bed. I was forced to stay elsewhere that first night. The sheets and bedspread were dirty and had holes in them and there was nobody available to talk to about this. We decided the next morning to just make a reservation at a Doubletree. We looked through the entire place and could not find anyone to talk to so I called and left 2 messages that we would not be staying any more nights. I continued to call for 3 more days and nobody would ever answer the phone. I was concerned that no one would ever answer the phone (I also emailed the owners) nor answer my emails, so I called my credit card company and was told that the Grafton Inn had charged my credit card 502.08. I have since reported them to the BBB, the Massachusetts Attoney General's office and the Grafton Police Dept. The charge is still on my credit card and I am continuing to fight it. The Attorney General's office called me and said they were unable to get anyone to answer the phone at the hotel and I was told the same thing by the BBB. I did reach someone by cell phone one day (the owner's cell phone #'s are on their website), but as soon as I said my name, they hung up on me. This is not a reputable business, BEWARE!!!!

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled with family
6  Thank wrebeckah
Reviewed December 28, 2008

If I could give a minus ten stars, I would. What a nightmare. The room’s air conditioning didn’t work, so after several hours, the bar’s window air conditioning unit was plugged in. There were dirty clothes in the dresser, hair on the pillows, the sheets were so old they were nubby with repeated washings. The room was noisy with trucks pausing outside the window all night, then starting up with a roar. The bathroom (tiny) had a sliver of soap. That constituted the entire range of extras: no shampoo, heaven forbid coffee in the room…
But the biggest NIGHTMARE of all was they charged me almost $700 for ONE NIGHT! They charged out my credit card for the week. To date I’ve called, written, and even went back there to get my card changed. It’s been over three months. Thieves. Dishonest. Dirty.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled on business
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4  Thank Policeartist
Reviewed February 4, 2008

Bed and Breakfast? Well, no... no one told us that the place does not serve breakfast! No indication of where it might be had, either... only cafe nearby was shut, so had to drive to supermarket to get baked goods. Took back to room to eat with coffee... COFFEE MACHINE HAD USED COFFEE BAGS IN IT, AND MUGS WERE FILTHY - LIP MARKS AROUND THE RIM.

There was nowhere to leave the key as the hotel was locked up, so we left it in the room. The hallway reeked, positively reeked, of pot.

We are in our 50s, very well travelled all over Europe and USA, and have never had such a bad experience as this.

HOW CAN YOU CALL THIS NO. I B&B when they don't even offer breakfast??????

Stayed: February 2007
2  Thank harvey28
Reviewed August 28, 2007

I recently stayed and dined at The Garfton Inn, Massachusetts, and thoroughly enyoyed the experience. The bar is great and the wine list is not only long, it has truely great wines! The bar is small enough to feel country and homely, but not claustrophobic. The staff and clientele alike were very friendly. The dining menu (which you can check out online at [-]) had a great variety, and I liked the sound of everything so much, I had a hard time deciding what to choose. I had to decide if I was in the mood for a big hearty meal with one of the 9 different steak/chop options, or whether I wanted something lighter like say an appertizer and a side salad. Deciding on something lighter, my dilema of what to choose started all over again, they all sounded perfect! I went with Pan Seared Sea Scollops and Spinach Salad. The meal was superb and the service was great. The new owner/manager chatted with all the patrons throughout the course of the evening, and the time she spent chatting with me made me feel very welcome and appreciated. I look forward to visiting the Grafton Inn again.

2  Thank TahoeChic
Reviewed July 14, 2007

My family has been going to the Grafton Inn for special dinners for the last 25 years. We recently went to celebrate my Grandmother's 89th birthday at the Inn for dinner. After overlooking the fact that they made us wait 30 mintutes for our reservation, we figured they were just busy. Once seated, we were dumbfounded to see that there was only a few other people in the dining room. In spite of the sparsely populated dining room the service was extraordinarily slow. There was no bread to snack on. We began examining the menu and found there was no chick entre. They have no graden salad only a "steakhouse" salad with some poorly made oily house dressing. After waiting ten minutes I had to find the waitress to notify her that we were ready to order. Once we ordered, it took another thirty minutes to get the salads. They were terrible. We asked ourselves it it might be quicker to call for pizza delivery to the table. No one came to ask if we wanted to have refills on the drinks. Another thriry minutes later the food came. To call the food TERRIBLE would be a compliment. My mother had the Haddock and only ate one bite of it. It was doused with pepper. Her rice was under-cooked. My wife got crab-cakes. They were cold and "did not even taste like crab. My uncle got the pasta with sausage and said the pasta was under-cooked. My cousin ordered a vegetable sandwich with no cheese (he's vegan) and it came with chese and some strange sauce. My aunt got the salad, which was a 1/4 head of iceberg lettus a few diced tomatoes and onions for $7. My burger looked more like a hockey puck except it was broken in half and looked like it may have encountered the floor at some point. MY grandmother has the meatloaf, which she did enjoy.

A one point the owner came to the table to ask how things were. I told her we were trying to make the best of it. She did not apologise or even offer desert to make us feel marginally better about the whole thing. What does it tell you when every guest at the table sends back their plate uneaten? (Except for my grandmother's meatloaf)

On the way out I learned that new management took over in Arpil 2007. That explains the change in experience. My guess is that some amature thought she was a local culinary expert because her small group of Graftonites told her how good her free food was and she thought she was good enough to start resturaunt. WRONG! The menu offers no clear theme whatsoever. It may be classy if you are in Walpole prison, but is a clear waste of time and money.

So if you are forced to dine at the Grafton Inn, either eat before you go at the local Burger King or get the meatloaf. Bring reading material or a comedian to keep you sane.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled with family
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank GraftonInnIsBAD