The Grafton Inn
AC Hotels
$137
$128
  • Pool
All reviewslight sleeperfirst floorphelps barnhuntersmatavernhallwayfurnishingscomfort
FilterAll languages
Reviewed February 4, 2008

Bed and Breakfast? Well, no... no one told us that the place does not serve breakfast! No indication of where it might be had, either... only cafe nearby was shut, so had to drive to supermarket to get baked goods. Took back to room to eat with coffee... COFFEE MACHINE HAD USED COFFEE BAGS IN IT, AND MUGS WERE FILTHY - LIP MARKS AROUND THE RIM.

There was nowhere to leave the key as the hotel was locked up, so we left it in the room. The hallway reeked, positively reeked, of pot.

We are in our 50s, very well travelled all over Europe and USA, and have never had such a bad experience as this.

HOW CAN YOU CALL THIS NO. I B&B when they don't even offer breakfast??????

Stayed: February 2007
2  Thank harvey28
Reviewed August 28, 2007

I recently stayed and dined at The Garfton Inn, Massachusetts, and thoroughly enyoyed the experience. The bar is great and the wine list is not only long, it has truely great wines! The bar is small enough to feel country and homely, but not claustrophobic. The staff and clientele alike were very friendly. The dining menu (which you can check out online at [-]) had a great variety, and I liked the sound of everything so much, I had a hard time deciding what to choose. I had to decide if I was in the mood for a big hearty meal with one of the 9 different steak/chop options, or whether I wanted something lighter like say an appertizer and a side salad. Deciding on something lighter, my dilema of what to choose started all over again, they all sounded perfect! I went with Pan Seared Sea Scollops and Spinach Salad. The meal was superb and the service was great. The new owner/manager chatted with all the patrons throughout the course of the evening, and the time she spent chatting with me made me feel very welcome and appreciated. I look forward to visiting the Grafton Inn again.

2  Thank TahoeChic
Reviewed July 14, 2007

My family has been going to the Grafton Inn for special dinners for the last 25 years. We recently went to celebrate my Grandmother's 89th birthday at the Inn for dinner. After overlooking the fact that they made us wait 30 mintutes for our reservation, we figured they were just busy. Once seated, we were dumbfounded to see that there was only a few other people in the dining room. In spite of the sparsely populated dining room the service was extraordinarily slow. There was no bread to snack on. We began examining the menu and found there was no chick entre. They have no graden salad only a "steakhouse" salad with some poorly made oily house dressing. After waiting ten minutes I had to find the waitress to notify her that we were ready to order. Once we ordered, it took another thirty minutes to get the salads. They were terrible. We asked ourselves it it might be quicker to call for pizza delivery to the table. No one came to ask if we wanted to have refills on the drinks. Another thriry minutes later the food came. To call the food TERRIBLE would be a compliment. My mother had the Haddock and only ate one bite of it. It was doused with pepper. Her rice was under-cooked. My wife got crab-cakes. They were cold and "did not even taste like crab. My uncle got the pasta with sausage and said the pasta was under-cooked. My cousin ordered a vegetable sandwich with no cheese (he's vegan) and it came with chese and some strange sauce. My aunt got the salad, which was a 1/4 head of iceberg lettus a few diced tomatoes and onions for $7. My burger looked more like a hockey puck except it was broken in half and looked like it may have encountered the floor at some point. MY grandmother has the meatloaf, which she did enjoy.

A one point the owner came to the table to ask how things were. I told her we were trying to make the best of it. She did not apologise or even offer desert to make us feel marginally better about the whole thing. What does it tell you when every guest at the table sends back their plate uneaten? (Except for my grandmother's meatloaf)

On the way out I learned that new management took over in Arpil 2007. That explains the change in experience. My guess is that some amature thought she was a local culinary expert because her small group of Graftonites told her how good her free food was and she thought she was good enough to start resturaunt. WRONG! The menu offers no clear theme whatsoever. It may be classy if you are in Walpole prison, but is a clear waste of time and money.

So if you are forced to dine at the Grafton Inn, either eat before you go at the local Burger King or get the meatloaf. Bring reading material or a comedian to keep you sane.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled with family
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank GraftonInnIsBAD
Reviewed August 29, 2006

Please do not confuse this Grafton Inn with the one in Falmouth, Mass. This one is in Grafton, Massachusetts. It is NOT the one on the cape; I have no idea what that one is like.

But the one in Grafton Massachusetts is awful. It boasts antique rooms, air conditioning in all rooms, quiet, homey atmosphere.

However, the reality is that this place is on a virtual truck stop: it is at the corner of the only main route in Grafton, so all night long you hear cars and trucks and motorcycles (anyone love Harleys?) stopping at the corner outside and then proceeding on their way.

We had the "best room in the house," which is room 9. One of the lights didn't work. The toilet didn't flush (poo poo all night long?), there was no air conditioning and it was sweltering in August. It was noisy. The room had not been cleaned: you could wipe your hand on the furniture and pick up piles of dust.

There is no office, or manager, or anything else on premisis. You sign in at the bar downstairs with the bartender. The owner was there, and he was horribly rude to me and my family (I have a 4 and a 6 year old daughter) when I asked him for a quieter room ("I just told you, you have the only room with 2 beds!")

I'll make this short and sweet: I'm 48 years old and have been traveling since I was 4 years old - in the US and in Europe. This was BY FAR the worst place I ever stayed. We had booked 2 nights. After that first awful night, I made a reservation at a Sheraton 100 miles away and was done with it.

Oh. And no one is on premisis during the night. After the bar closes, you're alone in the hotel. No one to contact. No one to call in an emergency. Want coffee in the mornign when you wake up for your $95 a night room? "Well, there's a Cumberland Farms across the street."

Do yourself a favor: Stay away from this place. It's billed as being about 125 years old, and I don't think they've done a thing to it in all that time.

• Stayed: August 2006, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank Carlct1
countryinnmgr, owner at The Grafton Inn, responded to this reviewResponded September 6, 2006

We are located on the historic Grafton Common where many commercials and even a movie have been filmed on our beautiful New England Common. Our 200 year old Inn has been in business this long because of ourf riendly,courteous service and meeting our guests requests when they are brought to our attention. Traffic by our Innis light to moderate. All guest rooms are on the third floor, away from the street. All rooms are cleaned everyday,top to bottom , no dust [owners wife has allergies]. Light bulbs do burn out and toilets can be plugged up when small children use them. We take care of our problems as soon as they are brought to our attention. Our manager is on duty all night long in room #2 with a sign on the door. Our bartender does sign customers in if the host is away from the reception area. If a guest asks for 2 queen size beds, we only have one room with that arrangement. We are courteous to all our guests and traveling with young children across country can be tiring and people can get nervous and agitated.
We have operated for 200 years because we offer a great value and great service.Our a/c works great if you turn on thermostat.
Thank-you