“Capt Bill and Sons is the BEST Whale Watch in Gloucester!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Capt Bill & Sons Whale Watch
Ranked #3 of 26 Tours in Gloucester
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Capt. Bill & Sons Whale Watch is a small, family-owned and operated, whale watch company out of Gloucester MA. We take pride in giving the best whale watch tours North of Boston. Join us at Capt. Bills for a 4 hour whale watch trip you will never forget! Each trip is fully narrated by a marine biologist from the Blue Ocean Society, who will teach you all you need to know about these majestic marine mammals and other sea life. Sightings Guaranteed!
Allenstown, NH
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 23 helpful votes
“Capt Bill and Sons is the BEST Whale Watch in Gloucester!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 20, 2010

I have been whale watching in Gloucester now for over 12 years. I travel over 90 minutes to go see the beloved whales of Stellwagon bank but it is well worth the trip for me and I go out every chance I get (more than 10 times a season). During those years, I have used every single whale watch company in Gloucester and found 1 or 2 things I liked about each of them. But one day the one that I had used for more than 5 years decided to cancel their trip and not call me. When I arrived, their attitude to me traveling so far was "oh well..I think Capt Bill's is still going".

That was when I met Jodie who is the daughter of the original Capt Bill's and handles the office, customer service. I told her about what happened and begged her to let me onto the boat that day and she not only found room for me but asked me what she could do to convince me to stay with them. A friendship was born and she and all of Capt Bill's has become like family to me. Unlike the other whale watches out of Gloucester where I liked 1 or two things..I LOVE EVERYTHING about Capt Bill's. First you are welcomed by the smiling Jodie in the office. Then you are greeted by an intern who takes your ticket and then the naturalist (if you are really lucky, most of the time that is Mason who is the absolute best most knowledgeable naturalist I have ever met on any whale watch in NE) greets you and welcomes you aboard the boat. The crew is on hand at all times to try to keep you as comfortable and happy as possible. Every single one of them from the Captain to the 1st mate are friendly, knowledgeable, approachable and just fun to be around.

When you go out of other whale watch companies on Gloucester, you soon realize that a lot of them are about the money. Their whales are taking the back seat more and more. Capt Bill's does everything in their power to not only give you the best trip which includes finding as many whales and whales doing the fun stuff like tail slapping, flipper slapping and breaching BUT they also are constantly worrying about the safety of the whales.
The New England Whale Center is a valuable asset to all of this operation especially Mason who can identify almost every whale out there in seconds with barely a glance at its fluke or dorsal fin. He shares so much of his knowledge on the subject of whales and as the boat heads back in, it is fascinating to talk to him and see how passionate he is about his love of whales.

As for the Captains, there are many and every one of them goes above and beyond on every trip to find the best action and make every single trip worth the price you paid for the ticket. They are all very experienced and passionate also for what they do and they genuinely love locating and watching the whales as much as everyone else.

On Capt. Bill's Whale watch, every trip seems like the first trip they have made because you will never hear anything but passion from them even though they repeat the same things over and over all season long. No question is a dumb question and I have never seen any of the other whale watch companies do so much to take care of the passengers. I have seen the 1st mate extend his arm to walk an elderly person down to the boat, I have seen others happily take over a wheelchair to wheel it safely down to the boat. When my mom was terminal and I took her whale watching with a different company years ago, I was told she could go only if I could get her onto the boat. She was not allowed her wheelchair on the boat.

I can't praise this group enough. It has been about 4 seasons now with them and I have never had a bad experience. Check them out soon. The whales are waiting.

• Chinese (Traditional) first
Dublin, Ohio
“I would Highly recommend taking the Captain Bill & Son Whale Watch while visiting Gloucester, Massachusetts”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 4, 2010

I was born in Gloucester, Mass and now live in the Columbus, Ohio area. I have visited the Gloucester area many times but I have never been on a whale watch. Recently, I had the chance to take my wife and two sons while visiting Gloucester, Mass.

Our family had a really great time. The day was perfect and the cruise to see the whales last 2 hours but was very relaxing and enjoyable.

The crew on the boat was outstanding. They made sure were we in the best position to view the whales. Just as important was that they were very knowledgeable about the whales. This crew has been in Gloucester for approximately 30 years as part of a study of the whales. They knew the whales habits and called them all by name as if they were pets. I felt like we received an education.

Initially the cost seems expensive but I feel it is well worth the price of admission especially if you have never been on a whale watch.

I have recommended this to my extended family and friends and we plan on taking another whale watch at the next available opportunity.

Newton, Massachusetts, USA
90 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 155 helpful votes
“Wonderful, for locals & guests alike”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 3, 2010

My wife and I (Boston area residents) went for the first time this weekend, taking my mom (visiting from out of state). She absolutely loved it, and we were big fans too. The biologist who served as our guide (I can't remember his name) was extremely knowledgeable and personable. We saw lots of whales, up close, including a group of 6 at once. As there were few sightings early on, they took us farther out, resulting in the overall trip lasting much longer than originally promised -- rare to find a vendor who gives you more than you paid for!

1 Thank Jay S
Jeannette, Pennsylvania
35 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 62 helpful votes
“Great whale watching tour providing tons of information”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2010

Captain Bill's has a great 4 hour whale watching tour. I just got back from the area and really enjoyed the afternoon tour that I took with them. We saw four humpback whales, two of which were a mother and her young one. We followed them for a while with the biologist on board supplying a lot of information about them and their habits. We went out a little further and found two more adult humpbacks that we got to watch while they were feeding. The biologist explained everything that was going on while we watched also.

The boat had plenty of room to observe, both on the upper and lower decks. You often had to move from one side to the other to get the closest looks at the whales. We got to see some awesome views of them feeding. We were close enough but not too close to endanger the whales.

I would definitely recommend going on their tour, either in the morning or afternoon. They do have snacks and drinks you can purchase on board also.

CT
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 53 helpful votes
“great whale watch experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 26, 2010

Just came back from a terrific whale watch in Gloucester, MA. Captain Bill & Sons was definitely worth the fee of $45.00 per adult to see the amount of humpbacks we saw in this 4 hour journey. The biologist on board was extremely knowledgeable and made the trip that much more exciting for my entire family. The trip went longer than advertised because these humpbacks were right by our boat. Great family vacation memories!

Highly recommend!