“Surprisingly good food.... raspberry pudding is excellent”

Passports Restaurant
Ranked #7 of 141 Restaurants in Gloucester
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations
Bangkok, Thailand
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Surprisingly good food.... raspberry pudding is excellent”
Reviewed October 3, 2011

You will find this restaurant offers surprisingly good food with very reasonable prices...

Visited October 2011
1 Thank Manop S

Manchester, New Hampshire
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Need to clean up their act and vary the menu!”
Reviewed August 23, 2011

My husband and I went here for lunch. The service was good and once we found something we would want to eat, the food was decent. I must say that the complimentary popover was the best part of the food. The wine list was decent.

The price was high for the atmosphere in my opinion. $50 for lunch for two is a bit pricey in my mind, unless it is fine dining.

I can't speak for the mens' room, but the ladies' was disgusting. Floor was so sticky that it made sounds as I pulled my feet away. Scraps of toilet paper were strewn about the room. The kitchen is visible to the patrons from the restroom area, and not to the advantage of the restaurant. It was a mess, granted it is small and working kitchens are tough to keep at all tidy... but stacks of dirty dishes within a few short feet of the food prep area is unappetizing to say the least. Suggestion, clean up the act --- especially the restrooms.

1 Thank GAD61
US
“Super gem in the rough, great execution of dishes- skip huge waterfront spots...”
Reviewed August 21, 2011

This is one of those places that surprises the hell out of you, particularly if your a fan of good food, and you cook as a hobby, or are a self-proclaimed foodie. Why? that's a good question and I'm glad I asked. Well, let's say your a tourist looking at Trip Advisor and you want that authentic Gloucester experience like youve read about, and seen in movies....oooh that George Clooney. You could try to capture that by going to eat with hundreds of others and have high priced New England fare. Or you could walk about a block or so and see what real attention to detail brings you. Then you can go back and walk along the waterfront and imagine the tension felt by the whole town as The Perfect Storm quells and news of the damage done trickles in....
But all seriousness aside, I was very surprised by the simple dishes and their near perfect execution. It reminded me of a couple of places in Paris where the proverbial "quarter chicken roasted with vegetables" is a minor masterpiece. why again I ask? Attention to details and modest creativity. No I do not work for or with this restaurant!. Its just that it was such a surprise on Main Street to see white rice done right as a bed for perfectly topped and cooked haddock, with perfectly seasoned side vegetables, popovers for "bread", and fishcakes that tasted like fish, and the seemingly odd banana chutney (?!) was not stupid, but perfect. I had to take off a star as the fishcakes were overcooked to a dark brown exterior and slight drying out of the interior. So just warn them on that.. prices were fair and service was good, even late in the evening. The decor is simple and inobtrusive.. the outdoor seating/furniture leaves something to be desired but its OK. I was on the fence of 5 or 4 stars... is there 4.5 stars? Go here and you won't be disappointed... and you'll get out of the busloads of eaters thing.

Manchester, New Hampshire
“My mom will never come back”
Reviewed August 21, 2011

I am writing this review for my 80 year old mom. She was at Passports last week with a group of 9 friends and was terribly disappointed. She ordered the "1 1/4 lb lobster roll" and being a native New Englander, she was expecting a hot dog roll with lots of lobster. She got a bulky roll, with sliced tomato, sliced avocado and only 4 small chunks of lobster. She did not speak up because she didn't want to embarrass the friend who picked the restaurant.

Because I was not there myself, I checked the web to see how the lobster roll is listed on the menu. I couldn't find it, so maybe it was a special that day. I see that the cuisine is not traditional New England, but my mom is a food lover. The only thing that disappoints her is poor quality or extreme prices. She had no problem with the prices, but because of that lobster sandwich, she vows to never come back.

2 Thank mwchristie
Middletown, Connecticut
“So good!”
Reviewed August 14, 2011

Went here for lunch, the experience only got better after we found a metered spot literally by the front door. This gastropub is both trendy and low-key at the same time, but also has great food to back it up. I remembered reading about popovers from a previous reviewer and had a vague memory of what they were. As if reading my mind the hostess came over with "hot out of the oven" popovers still steaming in the basket, mystery solved! We had the gumbo (mildly spicy) , asian short ribs (so tender), and lobster chorizo quesadilla (bursting with filling of fresh lobster chunks). Reasonable prices for lunchtime, I would go back at this very moment as soon as I am done writing this review (and ask for more vacation time).