“love the food, good price”

Causeway Restaurant
Ranked #2 of 141 Restaurants in Gloucester
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Takeout
texas
“love the food, good price”
Reviewed October 9, 2009

I was in gloucester in June and enjoyed food here the most. We ordered take out ( as the place can get really busy) and took it to the nearby park while my 4 year old son played. The robster roll was excellent , we ended up having it everyday. calm chowde and calamari was good too. We tried other restaurant in the area and always come back for more here. ...now I wanna go back so bad!!

• Korean first
Plymouth
“Cheap Cheerful and definately worth getting to.”
Reviewed September 27, 2009

As a Brit we are always looking to visit places in the USA that are cheap, friendly and have great food. Well this place was recommended by our friends in Annisquam as a must visit and believe me it is. No fancy food, no fancy staff just honest good, fresh american food. I have the Shrimp (jumbo prawns to the Brits) Dinner. There were over 40 on my place with fries (chips to the Brits) with coleslaw. I was struggling to get through it. The batter was light and fluffy and just melted in the mouth, the fries were dry (not greasy) and were coated in something saviour but again you could fault them. The meal was $11.00 and the Ice Tea was $1.75. Worth it??????? Too right it was. I would have gone back everyday but we just love going around trying everything, everywhere. The only downside was its very hard to park and very limited, but you MUST try and get in there. Large portions, cheap and great tasting. And the staff aint bad either.

1 Thank gotheworld
Geneva, IL
“Forget the seafood restaurants in the midwest - no matter how good they say they are.”
Reviewed August 28, 2009

If you live in the midwest, love seafood, but hate paying the price for seafood in the midwest &/or it's not even fit for humans.......you will love this place. We went to the east coast last week to visit family. It was our plan to get a much seafood as possible, and at a good price. Bingo......the Causeway Restaurant it the spot. Scallops and shrimp as big as 1/2 dollar coins and tasted so fresh - it was unbelievable. The portions for the price were huge! When there order Pete's Seafood Platter (shrimp, scallops, haddock and calimari in a light breading and fried so lighty, along with fries and slaw); Baked Haddock (a large piece of haddock baked with a crispy top with baked potato); or the Seafood Marinari - (med. size copper pan with mussles, scallops, shrimp and calimari, served over a large bed of pasta, topped with the most wonderful sauce). The clam chowder is the best I've ever had in my life - better than the stuff I make. Leftovers are better the next day, and you will have leftovers to take back to your hotel. It's BYOB, however, there is a liquior store next store. This place is a diamond in the rough. I only wish I lived in Boston's North Shore, just to have dinner here at least once a week.

1 Thank jphilmlee
ocean
“forget about it”
Reviewed August 11, 2009

I had the worst dining experience I have ever had on vacation. I ordered mussels and half of the order was made up of mussels that were closed. When I complained about that, the waitress tried to convince me that they were all really good, I just didn't know how to open them. She proceeded to pick up one of the mussels on my plate and showed me how to force a closed mussel that had an opening the size of a hair. I ate one of those that she insisted was good and had to spit it out it was so awful.
When I complained again, I was now told that no one had ever complained about their mussels before, and that the size of the portion compensated for those mussels that could not be opened. \

After trying to comunicate yet again that they were bad, and couldn't eat them, the waitress had nothing to say but that she saw my husband tasting them and that he didn't seem to mind them. I don't quite understand that response since that wasn't his dinner, and he is after all a different person.

It was an exercise in frustration the likes of which I have not known, and one that I hope I never run into again. The waitress refused to offer a compensation - but only after she initially aggreed to one. Her excuse was that it was too hard to take the money off of my charge card after it went thru. I never asked for her name - but I will never forget her face.
As a New Yorker, restaurant eating is a common occurance in my life. I enjoy a range of eating establishments, and I am sensitive to sending food back due to food waste as well as complaining needlessly. In this case, the food was really tasteless and the attitude of the server I had was even more tasteless.

Be warned!

2 Thank augustdays
Nashville, TN
“Nothing Fishy About the Causeway Restaurant...except the Fish!”
Reviewed May 11, 2009

I could go on and on about the excellent haddock dinner I had at the Causeway a few weeks ago, but why? Excellent is as excellent does! The place rocks. The waitstaff rocks. The food is fantastic. Even the fries were memorable, and the lemon meringue pie I shared with local friend Annette was sensational. Too bad I live in Tennessee, but the next time I'm in New England, you can bet I'll make every effort to stop in at the Causeway--on an empty stomach. The portions are huge, but the prices are reasonable. And you can't beat the setting...right across the street from a boat-filled marina. Like I said, there's nothing fishy about this place...but the fish. Eat up!