“Great place for seafood quality and price”

Causeway Restaurant
Ranked #2 of 141 Restaurants in Gloucester
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Takeout
Boston, Massachusetts
“Great place for seafood quality and price”
Reviewed January 7, 2013

By far I have had the best seafood in my US experience at this tiny little place in Gloucester. It was a real surprise, but I am used from Albania to find the best and freshest food in rural-looking restaurants or eateries. The shrimps and other seafood I tried at Causeway were the best I have tried in MA by far. The fish chowder was another very pleasant surprise. Be aware that the portions are huge and the prices are more than affordable. Good white wine can be bought at their attached liquor store. Overall, we had a great experience between friends, while the people there were friendly too. Looking forward to go back.

• Visited January 2013

• Korean first
Reading, Massachusetts, United States
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great local seafood restaurant”
Reviewed January 3, 2013

This is a small, local restaurant that will serve you a delicious, fresh cooked meal. The portions are large and reasonably priced. Don't miss this gem, but do expect a wait, especially in the summer months. The good food is well worth the wait.

• Visited October 2012
Georgetown, Massachusetts
“Great food at a better value!”
Reviewed January 3, 2013

If you live locally, you have to know about the Causeway. The only drawback to this place is that it is always crowded and the wait can be long. Other than that, I love everything about this place. Enormous portions of fresh food at a great price with outstanding service. The fish chowder is the best ever, the fish is fresh and delicious, and the pasta dishes are amazing. I have not had the steak but it looks amazing too. If you want great value and fast service (tough to find anymore), head to the Causeway. Plan on taking food home with you - we always do.

• Visited December 2012
2 Thank Tom V
Northeast USA
“Causeway: Our Go-To Place in Gloucester”
Reviewed December 23, 2012

Crowded, even on a Thursday night in December, this cafe is our place to get big servings of great seafood in Gloucester. This time we had wonderful fried oysters. Not fancy but really good. We've been coiming here for years, and will return again.

• Visited December 2012
Gloucester, Massachusetts
“Enormous Portions”
Reviewed December 15, 2012

I always take visiting friends to the Causeway, and it's my go to place when I have lunch with my dad. We recently went in September, and I was impressed by the prompt service despite the fact it was super busy. You don't have to wait and wait and wait when you go there which I appreciate. We both got a salad (huge) and a bowl of haddock chowder. The haddock chowder is absolutely amazing. Huge chunks of haddock, large potatoes and the portion size is immense. In fact, I wouldn't order anything else with it if I ordered a bowl because it would go to waste or you'd have to take it home. The bread they give with it is so delicious; warm and dunkable! We had a very enjoyable lunch, and they actually packed up some of our chowder so we could take it home. The prices are really cheap across the board, especially for the portion sizes and quality. It gets very busy in the summer, but it's worth it!

• Visited September 2012