“Excellent in every respect”

Duckworth's Bistrot
Ranked #1 of 144 Restaurants in Gloucester
Cuisines: American
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed July 29, 2011

Sophisticated menus and wine list make this the best restaurant in Gloucester (and for some distance around). Service can be sluggish, but servers are well-informed and food is delivered hot. Atmosphere is cool and classy. (Don't go if you are a bachelorette party and you want to do shots and throw silly string.) Children are welcome, but this isn't a children's restaurant.

Reviewed July 20, 2011

We made a point to go back to Duckworth's during our 2 week stay on the North Shore. We went 3 times in 2 weeks and they did not disappoint. Make a reservation as this place is small and all the tables are usually full. The only time we saw empty tables was the 1x we had a late reservation. There are 4 or 5 seats at the tiny bar where you can eat. Not sure if that requires a reservation. There is plenty of parking in the lot nearby where they direct you to park. In our 3 recent trips we tried all the salads (green, ceasar & ubiquitous); and had 1/2 portions of the duck; lobster risotto; the halibut; the seafood stew; scallops & someone ordered oysters each time. We tried several of the desserts (bread pudding; key lime pie; & flourless chocolate cake). All of the dishes were excellent. We tried some nice wines by the glass too. Service is outstanding ~ our waitress remembered us the 2nd time and the third time greeted us like old friends. The bathroom is quite tiny which is befitting the size of the restaurant. Really like this place.

Reviewed July 12, 2011

Duckworth’s Bistrot is well-deserving of its #1 ranking of dining in Gloucester. We had an outstanding leisurely dinner here to celebrate our 5 year wedding anniversary and we would highly recommend Duckworth’s to anyone looking for a delicious, intimate, special dining experience.
All of the food was excellent, and the wine selections were lovely. My husband started with the wild mushroom soup, followed by a Caesar salad, and finishing with a half-order of the steak ‘au poivre’. When his entrée arrived I never would have guessed it was a half-order – very significant portion. I enjoyed a half-order of the Caesar salad (I was asked if I would like anchovies and was very pleased to find 5 fillets on my salad – enough for some anchovy in every bite!), a full order of the seared sea scallops, and for dessert the banana cake. I was planning to order the chocolate cake, but it was gone by the time I ordered my dessert. The banana cake was different and delicious – I’m glad I had to change my selection!
We both enjoyed wine with our meals that paired perfectly. I tried the 2005 Verdelho, Marquis Philips, “Holly’s Blend,” S. Australia – it was my first time trying a Verdelho and on our way home I purchased a bottle! My husband enjoyed a Tempranillo which is not currently listed on their website, so I’m unable to provide any more detail! J
It was a fantastic evening and we will definitely return each time we visit Gloucester!

Reviewed July 9, 2011

Wow,Who knew you could eat like Being in France in Glouchester? A little gem of a bistro with great food and service. We go to France every year and this food is right on the mark. Duck confit could go up against any in France, delicious soups, desserts etc. Wonderful service and worth the price. Loved that we were taken to lovely table in window and not one by kitchen door. Why do American restaurants always try to fill worst table first? Wish this restaurant was close to home, best it isn't. We would be there every week.

1  Thank SuzanneWoodbridge-ct
Reviewed June 14, 2011

We go to Duckworth's every time we are in Gloucester, and the food is always great. Not cheap, but we've never had a bad dish. Duck, fish, lamb, pork, vegetables, all great. I always get their polenta with my main dish if I can. Out of this world. Desserts are good too. Friendly service. Great place to go before a performance at Gloucester Stage. Reservations are important, especially on weekends in the summer.