“Charming historic gem” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #14 of 17 Gloucester B&B and Inns
Massachusetts
“Charming historic gem”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 21, 2009

We rent all the rooms of this wonderful historic house yearly for our annual reunion to reconnect with old friends, kick back and relax. The owners are very accomodating and see to our every need. The kitchen is stocked with all essentials for cooking and the atmosphere is so condusive for catching up. It's a very clean and comfortable home. Appropriate appointments and furnishings compliment and enhance the experience. If you're in the mood it's just a short walk and you're at the lively downtown, shopping and restaurants. Highly recommend Julietta House.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled with friends
2 Thank cathy09

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 18, 2009

We stayed here with our 2 kids to do a little swimming at the beach. While it's not on the beach, it is close to all the good restaurants, grocery, pharmacy, etc which is good for a long term stay. We were there for a week. Our interactions with the owner (Susan) were minimal but she was very helpful/knowledgeable and friendly. The house was very clean and our room was great; in the back of the house. The street out front is a little busy, but we weren't expecting a quiet country inn. We will definately stay there again if we go back to Gloucester.

• Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank huckle4
Dubai
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 30, 2008

I called this inn today because I plan to attend a wedding in a couple of weeks in Gloucester. When I told the owner that my two married sisters might also want rooms, I got the opposite reaction than I had expected: she said that she was not sure if she would accept my reservation and insisted that I should complete an application to rent the entire house providing details of what we would be doing while there.

She said that even if I wanted to make the reservations in my name and pay for my sisters' room rates, she would still insist on speaking to each guest on the phone in advance to explain the policies of the house. She said she really did not want several guests at her house if they were part of a group because if there were any other guests at the house, they might feel left out, and this is why she would require us to rent the whole house if it were available. And she also claimed that my request was "last minute." (Actually, I called 17 days in advance.)

I understand the goal of trying to let each guest have their own privacy and full use of the house, but to try to screen people like this struck me as very odd. At a minimum, it seems like a scam to try to force people who might otherwise only want three rooms to rent the entire house.

In any case, it must be a winning formula and she must have a lot of money because she said she didn't want my business and hung up the phone on me.

Stayed September 2008
7 Thank jsmith6
juliettahouse, Owner at Julietta House, responded to this review, July 10, 2009
Even though, we are very "hand's off" with guests, providing a very private stay, letting people into your home can be a rather intimate business.

I admit, I was confused by this callers questions. I wished I'd handled this better. It didnt go exactly the way he described, but, I do tend to ask questions of my callers in order to provide them the best possible experience. He asked for one room for one person, for one night. Then, tried to rent the whole house.

So..... when I began to ask questions he became offended and sort of insulted me. The more I explained... the more offended he became. And so it went. It was a bad call for him and an equally bad call for me. Please accept that I try very hard to do my best to be kind and helpful. But, I'm human.
Missouri
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 16, 2008

My wife, twins, and I were coming in for a wedding and were booked at the Cape Ann Motor Inn. This was one of three choices given in the "wedding weekend invitation packet" received earlier in the year. We booked it since one property didn't answer (off season) and another had a three-night minimum.

The day before our departure we were told of the Inn's reputation for being a dirty beach place and that it should be OK if we don't mind walking on the previous guests' spilled beer in our room. Calling to get a refund was another story... we got our money back, lesson learned, never again.

All this to let the reader know how we happened upon Julietta House by happenstance. Little did we know the extent that it would enhance our weekend and create a wonderful experience overall. The owner was helpful and honest. The accommodations were clean and as promised. The location was central and within walking distance to fine food and quaint shopping. Though there is no breakfast included in the stay, there is a great little diner around the corner if one enjoys local color! Eating there was like going back in time.

Even if there might have been some weeds in the yard and blue pillow cases (see previous review), our stay would have been nothing less than terrific. We wish the owners the success they deserve and future guests the experience we had.

• Liked — The owner... everything as promised.
  • Disliked — Not in the most pristene area, but no big deal.
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank NirRegev
Aachen, Germany
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 20, 2008

We stayed here for a night in June and enjoyed it greatly. It's a well renovated place with all the nice historic details. You can get a good impression of the place by checking their website. The photos you find online accurately characterise the place.

You can get very good deals for the place on the internet. And the rooms are very nice and clean. Our room didn't have A/C, but a van and a big roof terrace.

As you can read from their homepage the house is self-catered. There is no guardian on the premise. Additionally, you can only lock the rooms from the inside; the owners didn't want to damage the old wooden doors. You can lock your valuables in a safe. We simply left our stuff in our trunk. We didn't mind, but if you do, you shouldn't stay here. Atlernatively, if you are a larger group you can rent out the whole place.

The sole minus was that they had forgotten our arrival time. We were left alone in front of the house (effect of not having a permanent guardian). Unfortunately, we did not have a cell phone either, which made communication rather difficult. But the situation was resolved by a pay phone and taking a small tour of the city. In general, I would call prior to arrival just to make sure.

In the end we made a long trip of New England and we came to consider this place as one of the nicest places we stayed.

• Liked — Setting
  • Disliked — Getting the keys
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Roundtrip_Rob1n
Albany, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 26, 2006

My friend and I wanted a weekend away at the ocean and were very pleased to find this excellent accommodation.
The house is beautiful, Susan the owner, is friendly and charming and the location couldn't be better.
The whole place is homey, cheerful and impeccably clean. When I called to make the reservation, Susan was very clear in her directions and in describing what we were to expect upon arrival. She also gave us great restaurant tips for breakfast and dinner.
The adventure was in exploring this great old house, learning some of its recent history from Susan, and answering the doorbell our first evening to a delightful couple from Montreal looking for accommodations. We made them welcome while they contacted Susan by phone and it made us feel we were an integral part of the home.
All of Cape Ann is gorgeous at any time of the year, and Julietta House is a great place to stay while you visit there.
We would definitely stay here again!

• Liked — The ambiance
  • Disliked — that I couldn't stay longer
  • Tips/Secrets — this is a great place to go for a long weekend
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled with friends
2 Thank indigo-bunting
California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 16, 2006

All the comforts of home! If you have a group or large family, I highly suggest you try and get this house. The owners are easy to deal with and there are no hidden costs or suprises!!

• Stayed October 2006
2 Thank CGCycling
Also consider these accommodations in or near Gloucester
Beauport Hotel
#2 of 17 in Gloucester
Vista Motel
Vista Motel
#2 of 7 in Gloucester

Been to Julietta House? Share your experiences!