“Pleasant place to stay, at beautiful location.”

Ocean House Hotel at Bass Rocks
Ranked #4 of 7 Hotels in Gloucester
Reviewed August 19, 2010

The room was pleasant and comfortable. Temperature control was good, and the bed was extremely comfortable. The breakfast (included) was as much as one could expect without anything heated but the coffee. The biggest deficit was the fact that there were no dividers separating individual "patios" overlooking the ocean--so totally zero privacy. (In fact, a child walked right into our room through the patio door, thinking it was his room.) But if we return to Gloucester (and probably will), we would not hesitate to stay there again.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple

Reviewed July 23, 2010

My wife and I where traveling on a extended motor trip through the East and I decided we should stop an night in my home town, Gloucester, MA. I wanted to stay on the "Back Shore" which I remember for it wonderful ocean views. We selected the Bass Rocks Ocean Inn for our one night stay. When we arrived we were told that one of their suites in the main house was available and we decided to spend the extra money to help celebrate our 50th wedding anniversity. The room was amazing with windows overlooking the Ocean on two sides. The staff at the hotel could not do enough for us and their fresh baked cookies were a great hit. My profession has been escorting tour groups world wide for over 40 years and I can honestly say I have never stayed any place in the world that had such beautiful views and great service.
Thank you Bass Rocks for providing us with a memorable 24 hours.
Charles and Nancy Hemeon

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 26, 2010

Even with some repairs going on, the Bass Rocks was wonderful. No complaints at all.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed June 11, 2010

I would hightly recommend the Bass Rocks Ocean Inn. We just came home from spending three [too short] nights at the INN and I can truly say there isn't one negative thing I can say about our stay. My husband is in a wheelchair and one sister uses a walker and I couldn't tell you where Mario & Mark materialized from but they were right there to help my husband and sister into the room, car, or dinning room. They were such a God send to me and not only so helpful but very pleasant great guys too. The rooms sparkled, the beds very comfy. the scenery breathtaking. the food excellent, Aside from Mark & Mario who I can't say enough about, the housekeeping staff went out of their way to accomodate, the front desk people, all in all I can't praise the place enough and I will let it be known to relatives & friends what a great place to spend a vacation. Thanks again to Mario & Mark you guys are just great.
Norma & Walt Grapkoski
Kathleen Beckett
Marie Manning

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with family
2  Thank wegrap
Reviewed February 28, 2010

We been at the Bass Rock three times on the last three years, and we have only good things to say about the place. We stayed at the main house (stacy house) and requested the same room everytime, number 502 is our house in Gloucester, it have a bedroom and a living room with a little kitchen, they even have dishes and silverware, two flat screens tvs and dvds players, they offer free rental movies. If next summer that room is booked for the dates we planning to travel we sure will change our date. The smell of fresh baked cookies in the lobby on the afternoon is just irresistible, and the cookies and tea are complimentary. Even if you do not stay in the Stacy house all the rooms have a great view and me and hubby enjoying going up to the roofing where they have benchs to sit. It's magical to hear the waves during the night, a very romantic feeling. The Bass is our lovely getaway, for some quality time with each other. The breakfast is very good and have everything is necessary to start well your day, coffee,milk, juice, cereal, fruits, baked goods etc...
The service was always very friendly. So as I said before I just love this place. Do not expect a high end hotel, but a lovely charming magical place by the water. They offer bicicles and have a golf field right behind the hotel. Cape Ann area has a lot to do and see, make sure you go for a whale watch trip, some shopping in Rockport, visit the Hammond castle and never leave Gloucester without having a lobster bake. I personally recommend "The Rudder", great food also very nice atmosphere, is by the water and people even arrive by boat. Not a luxury restaurant, but a true New England gem. We will be back this summer and many others to come on our room 502.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
3  Thank CakesQuerida
Reviewed October 10, 2009

This was one of 3 places to stay by the ocean in Gloucester, Mass. We felt that it was the best value for the money. It was not a modern place, but rather in the old motel style with parking out back with a door. And in the front was the View and a slider door. We had a "garden" view which was a rock garden with flowers and beyond and across the road was the Atlantic ocean.
Breakfast was included daily and was continental. Did not like that the cream cheese packets had been frozen and affected the quality. The quick breads were all homemade and delicious. There was also an assortment of fruit, cereals, hard boiled eggs, and
cheeses along with teas and coffees. The hot beverages were available all day in lobby.
There was a huge book with menus from all of the local restaurants, and many pamphlets on local places of interest in the lobby.
We visited the downtown area and parks where the Gloucester's Man at the Wheel, "They that go down to the sea in ships" and a memorial listing all those sailing residents of Gloucester that have lost their lives at sea.
Gloucester was a central area to visit other local sights such as Essex, Salem, and Rockport.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple
3  Thank sabhoy
Reviewed October 3, 2009

This is not the newest hotel you'll ever find. The rooms are nice, but not spa quality. The bathroom was decorated in 1957 aqua blue. The breakfast is nothing more than coffee and muffin.

All of the above makes no difference.

The view is spectacular. We could not believe the sunrise out of our window. We were simply speechless. We'll stay here again in the future, without question.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Howard S
Also consider these accommodations in or near Gloucester
Beauport Hotel Gloucester
Bearskin Neck Motor Lodge
Cape Ann's Marina Resort
Cape Ann's Marina Resort
#6 of 7 in Gloucester

Been to Ocean House Hotel at Bass Rocks? Share your experiences!