“The best deck on the Cape”

The Studio Restaurant
Ranked #23 of 141 Restaurants in Gloucester
Cuisines: American, Sushi, Seafood
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed August 14, 2014

I'm a Gloucester native and I've been coming here since I was a kid, long before this recent renovation. This is the best deck anywhere on Cape Ann. Even if you can't get a table out there, you can enjoy the view from inside. The food has been spotty- I've had some great meals, like the calamari and codballs, and some misses, like the fried chicken and plain haddock (plus brown lettuce on a salad or two), but you can find plenty of menu options, and the overall experience was worth it. I've eaten here about once a week since it re-opened.

Reviewed August 13, 2014

My wife and I went to the Studio last Saturday and couldn't have asked for a better experience. It was a warm 80+ sunny degree day with a great view of the rocky neck harbor. There was a plentiful selection on the menu and the service was terrific. We weren't rushed and didn't feel we had to wait for food or drinks. It was appreciated because it was a picture-perfect day to enjoy the place.

We ordered lobster rolls and mussels and they were outstanding. We even tried the Newburyport IPA as a new experience and it was great.

At years of neglect and lost opportunity, the Studio ownership renovated the interior of the place, as well as the outdoor deck. The bar locations of the bars were perfect with each having the ability to view wide-screen tv's. Probably the best outside dining experience in the north shore. Based on the changes inside, it still has the potential to be a good winter experience. The only drawback is that the parking is somewhat limited as it's placed in a residential area, but there are a few parking lots a relatively short distance away.

Congratulations to the New Management and I hope for continued success!

Reviewed August 5, 2014

This restaurant is under new management. The waitstaff were friendly and the food was excellent. The clam chowder was much tastier than the one we'd had at Legal a few days previously.
The location in Rocky Neck is attractive, but why has the designer put the high tables right in front of the railing overlooking the water, which blocks the view of the water for anyone sitting behind, rather than at the back, where seated higher up, those clients would also have a water view?

1  Thank Christianne W
Reviewed August 5, 2014 via mobile

I have become picky about my reviews. I've only posting those that I consider exceptional. At The Studio my wife and I had an exceptionally good lunch. The sashimi was some of the best I've had: fresh, tender, flavorful, and I consider myself an aficionado. The beet salad was just right, with a delicate dressing. The grilled sea scallops were the best we've had, perfectly done and served with a not-too- spicy salsa. I asked for vegetables, and was brought large plate perfectly cooked asparagus. Even the iced tea was exceptional: freshly brewed, not diluted, and the wasabi tangy rather than in-your-face hot. Lovely, peaceful view of the harbor from the deck. Happy dining!

Reviewed August 3, 2014 via mobile

Great atmosphere inside which will be a big draw when the weather starts to get cooler. They have the best deck in Rocky Neck! Nice views, plenty of sun, food is great and the waist staff and bartenders are very nice.