“Best ocean patio in Rocky Neck.”

The Studio Restaurant
Ranked #18 of 141 Restaurants in Gloucester
Cuisines: American, Sushi, Seafood
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Lynnfield, Massachusetts
“Best ocean patio in Rocky Neck.”
Reviewed June 26, 2014 via mobile

Love the outside bar and deck. Sushi is very good. I've been here 4 times and every time we ordered mix drinks from the bar we've had to send them back. The bar manager has asked our opinion twice and he was receptive but drinks are still very weak and disappointing. I would stick to beer or wine until they change things. They do have gluten free options if that is a concern. Inside bar had better drinks. Nice to see live bands at this restaurant. I will keep trying this restaurant until they get the kinks out.

Boston
“Mediocre American Food”
Reviewed June 25, 2014 via mobile

We tried the Studio on Monday when the noise level was tolerable. The portions are huge. I had the risotto while one of my guests had the scallops. My wife had the spider roll which was very mediocre. Overall the four of us thought both the sushi and min courses were very average.

This is a trendy, young people's restaurant. It is definitely not for foodies nor does it have a nice atmosphere. Yes, it is by the water but so is Laitude 43, which has much higher quality food.

Visited June 2014
East Douglas, Massachusetts, United States
“Sushi, Tapas and Seafood”
Reviewed June 15, 2014

Be advised that parking on Rocky Neck is even more of a challenge than the rest of Gloucester. The bar was recently renovated and is now much more appealing visually. Food was very tasty - favorites included the Halibut with Coconut Rice Cake and the stuffed lobster. Service was a bit haphazard and drinks were slow and occasionally wrong, even though they were not rushed. The Studio also has live entertainment but we finished our meal before it started.

Boston, Ma
“Fantastic Re-Opening!”
Reviewed June 12, 2014

A friend and I recently stopped in for lunch on a Sunday afternoon. The place had been closed for some time and had re-opened after extensive reconstruction, not only physically but both food and service.
We sat on the beautiful deck with gorgeous views of Smith's Cove. We asked specifically to sit away from the outdoor bar, which was packed and the music a little loud. The hostess was very accommodating and lovely.

The seating is very comfortable. We sat at a high top, which also had an umbrella. If you'd like it a little quieter on the deck, the furthest corner is the place to be!

Our waitress was friendly and attentive. We never felt like we were too far away to get great service. I just wish I could remember her name.

We shared the fried calamari, avocado rolls and scallops in bacon.

The calamari was a little greasy but overall quite good. The avocado rolls were so creamy and excellent, we will def. order more from the sushi bar in a future visit.
The scallops and bacon were done differently than we had ever seen. Two large scallops with the "bacon" off to the side. More of a fat bacon wedge. Different. We cut up the bacon and stabbed it onto the scallop. Yummy. Not your usual scallop wrapped in bacon but good!

The menu is varied and has LOTS of options. Excellent for sharing. Check out their website for a look.

I had a house Mojito, which was very good and made with tequila vs. vodka and my friend had beer. The Newburyport ale was really good, but her second Coors light was as warm as the sun. Our waitress had tried to cool it by pouring it into a chilled glass but it was beyond help. She quickly apologised and my friend ordered something else. This was taken off our check and the second beer was not charged to us. Excellent customer service in my book.
But bartenders/owners.....make sure your stock is cold!!! It's Summer and you have lots of new customers to impress!!

It was a beautiful day to sit outside and we were never made to feel rushed. We were actually checked on a few times after being seated by various servers to make sure that in fact, someone had spoken with us. Seems like the staff has had some training. What a concept :-)

Considering that Rocky Neck has struggled for YEARS with bad restaurants (excluding the Rudder, which is also good and owned now by the same people that own this one), this newest addition was sorely needed. I hope that they can keep up the good work and keep their standards high. Great promise!!