“Amazing food and atmosphere”
Review of Rudder Restaurant

Rudder Restaurant
Ranked #26 of 139 Restaurants in Gloucester
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
“Amazing food and atmosphere”
Reviewed August 22, 2014 via mobile

Location is great right in front of the water with a great view.
Customer service is great and friendly.
Fast service.
Food was d'lish no complaints at all.
We had the crab cake was made fresh and tasted great.
We also had the chicken wings, chef pizza, oyster soup and a bottle of wine.
Would recommend going there for everyone.

1 Thank Helen L

“The Whole Package”
Reviewed August 19, 2014

The Rudder is located in a buzzing area of Rocky Neck but it completely worth it for not only the food but also the scenery and ambiance. After having read some negative reviews, our family was a little weary but still decided to give the Rudder a try as we have gone multiple times every summer for the past handful of years. I am glad to say that the Rudder is as delicious and the same as I had remembered. We made reservations for 8 pm but arrived around 7:30 and the hostess allowed us to be seated early. Our table was located outside on the porch. Of course, the porch was packed tight with other tables but I see that as just something that adds to the Rudder's charm. If you're looking for a quiet, sit down scenic meal, know the Rudder is not right for you. All three of us shared the crab cakes appetizer which was delicious. Two of us then split a mixed green salad- also delicious. It was dressed with just the right amount of dressing and was quite light. My mother and I ordered the lobster and shrimp scampi which I can't say enough about. That plate was not only bountiful with shrimp and lobster (something that is quite rare without having to sacrifice your first born to pay the bill) but also light and delicious. My brother ordered the clam chowder and fish and chips. All of which he said were delicious. He noted that the vegetables served with the fish and chips were cooked perfectly. We did not order dessert because we were so full from our appetizer, salad, and meals. Can't wait to return to the Rudder again!

• Visited August 2014
New York City, New York
“At Rocky Neck”
Reviewed August 12, 2014 via mobile

The Rudder is a busy place near a group of restaurants in a quitter section of Gloucester. We sought it out after hearing good things from a local resident. We were not disappointed. To Avoid a long wait we took a table in the inside section, however it bordered on the outside area on the water. The breeze was great as it was open to the outside and you could see the water. We both had the Caesar Salad, (enormous) we should have split it. I had the catch of the day, (very fresh Cod) with a dark beer. All good, Pleasant service, reasonably priced. An enjoyable dinner.

Visited August 2014
1 Thank jeremy t
Boxford, Massachusetts
“Tastes of Gloucester at the Rudder”
Reviewed August 10, 2014

It was a balmy Saturday afternoon, so we really had our hopes up for dining somewhere outside, overlooking water, with atmosphere. We decided to drive to Gloucester on the early side. Bob dropped me off at 4:55 to join a line waiting at the front door of the Rudder Restaurant, located on scenic Rocky Neck. A few minutes later, the door opened, and in we all walked, eager to sit outside. We were seated in a corner table overlooking the incoming tide, which I'm told rises 9 feet. Boats drifted onto the pier that surrounded other outdoor restaurants and art galleries. In the distance, we saw fishing and sightseeing boats. We began our dining adventure with a Grey Goose Martini for my husband and a prickly pear Margarita for me. I was amazed when my drink arrived--bright magenta and oh so delicious! We then decided to share appetizers instead of a traditional meal. We ordered fish tacos, crab cakes, and a wedge salad. While we were waiting for our dinner, we nibbled on a tasty bread with an olive tapenade. Our meal was perfect--an interesting and tasty combination that reflected the eclectic setting. What a perfect early dinner with an ideal setting--tide rolling in, smells and sounds of historical Gloucester, and the glow of an early August evening!

• Visited August 2014
Princeton
“Fun, Fresh and Friendly”
Reviewed August 8, 2014 via mobile

Got a last minute table for five. Friendly, knowledgable staff patiently explained a large and eclectic menu. Atmosphere was fun with a beautiful dockside patio. Food was interesting cooked properly and ranged from the familiar to the somewhat exotic. Sushi was really great too. Drinks are generally bad throughout Cape Ann, MA but the drinks at the rudder are quality and made carefully with good ingredients. Most importantly they don't use and yucky sour mix in their margaritas, which is awesome just fresh line juice.