“An excellent ethnic twist on the New England norm.”

Azorean Restaurant and Bar
Reserve with OpenTable
Azorean Restaurant and Bar is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #9 of 141 Restaurants in Gloucester
Cuisines: Portuguese
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Authentic Mediterranean Cuisine & Casual Dining
New Haven, Connecticut
“An excellent ethnic twist on the New England norm.”
Reviewed June 27, 2014

After a very disappointing first night's dinner in Gloucester the night before, we found the Azorean Restaurant tonight through Trip Advisor and were very happy with our experience. The Atmosphere inside was great and very inviting. We had our daughter with us, and although she didn't find anything to her liking on the kids menu, the staff was more than accommodating and made some shrimp custom tailored to her taste. My Wife and I had the Owners Mix of Shrimp and Calamari, which had an excellent blend of spices, topped with some jalapeños. The bread was nice and warm, and came with a plate of dipping oil and some nice pitted olives. My wife had the Gloucester Fishermen Seafood Plate, which was very tasty and was piled so high she could not finish it. The fish melted in your mouth. She also had a Chocolate Martini. Good News: The Bar staff is a little heavy on their pours, so the drink was a bit strong. Bad news, same thing - if it sneaks up on you after a couple. I had the Surf and Turf with Baked Stuffed Shrimp and Azorean Steak Tips. I loved the mix of flavors in the steak. There were several beer selections, I liked the Fisherman's Brew (a nice local dark Lager), and had been looking forward to trying it. Finally, we ate on the patio where we were unable to make reservations, but were seated immediately. We finished the whole dining experience off with a beautiful Flan dessert. An excellent ethnic twist on the New England norm.

2 Thank briashmad

“Average”
Reviewed June 24, 2014 via mobile

Took daughter and son in law for dinner, they were visiting from out of town. Service was slow, not that busy. They ordered the 6 tapas to share as their entree, I ordered the baked scallops. Their dinner was out a good 10-15 minutes before mine, not sure what happened

2 Thank luvmyteams
Boston, MA
“A good meal in an interesting place”
Reviewed June 17, 2014

We were tired of the fried/baked fish restaurant options that make up much of what's available in Gloucester, so we decided to try Azorean for a change of pace. The restaurant is lively, and we were very glad we had a reservation as it was packed at 7:30 (latish for dinner in sleepy Gloucester). The food was very good and bordered on, but didn't quite hit, exceptional; I had mussels that were cooked to perfection, but the broth had an odd taste -- too much turmeric I believe in place of the typical saffron, or that's my best guess. The Grilled Vegetable salad was excellent -- deliciously and freshly grilled onions, peppers, and artichoke hearts, along with grated manchego cheese and I added grilled shrimp, which were perfectly cooked. The chef knows how to cook seafood, and we'll go back and try some other options to see what else is good. A nice change of pace in Glocuester.

Visited June 2014
1 Thank RinfromMA
Falmouth, Massachusetts
“it was okay”
Reviewed June 13, 2014

We had seen the Phantom Gourmet review and therefor ordered some of the items shown. I have to say the fried calamari was EXCELLENT!! light, crisp and some spice. For dinner my mom and I split 6 tapas/$30- everything was fine just not all that I was expecting. Not a whole lot of spice or taste that made me go, "Wow!". It was just okay.
I should add that the service was great!

Visited June 2014
1 Thank Jkbcape
Rockport, Massachusetts
“Nice Lunch - Even for a local”
Reviewed June 13, 2014

Mid-week lunch with family / friends great atmosphere / quiet to talk, friendly service.
Fish & Chips some of the best we have ever had, flounder / sole very light, crunchy and sliced chips like home made. Grilled Octopus quite good but over-salted. Garlic sauce about a half cup of clarified garlic butter - good flavor but way too much fat. We will return soon.

2 Thank Eric M