“Only restaurant in Gloucester I went back to” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Captain Carlo's Restaurant

Captain Carlo's Restaurant
Ranked #18 of 137 Restaurants in Gloucester
Cuisines: American, Bar, Seafood, Pub, Soups
Good for: Kids, Large groups, Families with children, Scenic view, Local cuisine, Bar scene
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Stow, Massachusetts
“Only restaurant in Gloucester I went back to”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 2, 2009

We stayed in Gloucester for a week and of the places we ate, this was the only one so good we had to go back a second time. Both times we went for lunch when it wasn't super busy. They are kid friendly with crayons and a kids menu. The first time we went the waiter brought over a live lobster to amuse the kids. The second time we went, there was a DJ and the 3.5 year old spent about an hour dancing in front of his table with some other kids.

We really enjoyed the fish and chips and the clam chowder. The restaurant is right next door to the fish auction, and it shows. I haven't had such fresh fish and chips since my honeymoon in New Zealand. The clam chowder was the best of the three or four I tried in various places in Gloucester. The regulars seemed to mostly be ordering huge plates of calamari which looked fabulous.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

upstate New York
“Great place for dinner!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 9, 2008

I can't imagine how anyone could give this place a bad review! The food is great! Huge portions and reasonably priced. I love their fried shrimp! Light and tasty (right up there w/the Causeways's). The fried calameri as an appetizer is enough for 3 people to share. Even their nachos are good! I'd recommend this to anyone vacationing in Gloucester.
HINT: they take reservations, so call ahead if you have a large group. The 12 of us only had to wait about 5 minutes for our table that way.

massachusetts
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Go for the atmosphere-not the food”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2008

The only good thing about our night here was the entertainment.
We sat on the deck on a Friday night and had front row seats for the band. As far as our meal--Uggg, the waitress would disappear for long stretches at a time, forgot parts of our meal and and never seemed to care. This is definitely a place the locals hang out and the atmosphere is fun. Maybe you have to be a "local" to get decent service. When our food finally came it was just average at best.

Elyria, Ohio
“Despite the mixed reviews”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 26, 2008

Just returned from Gloucester and despite the mixed reviews I decided to stop at Captain Carlos to check it out for myself. It had been raining all afternoon and after a long wet 4 hour whale watching excursion we needed a place to sit and relax.

Now I was expecting to be seated in a dark corner somewhere stuck waiting for that almost non-existent server and poor service. What we found was just the opposite, I walked in at 7:30, dry of course and was almost immediately seated. I ordered a Sam Adams while I looked over the menu and was served promptly. The place was well lit and had ample inside seating. The place also as outside seating but I didn’t bother, still raining.

We ordered the New England Clam Bake which consists of clam chowda, steamed clams, boiled lobster and a side dish. The meal was served promptly in courses and was outstanding.

I recommend Captain Carlos Restaurant to anyone visiting Gloucester!

Boston
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Everything is awful except the food”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 8, 2008

Everything was awful except the food. We asked a really friendly guy on the street where to eat and he told us Carlo's. A 90 minute wait was filled in at the bar with a quite rude bartender and no specialty drink menu. Finally after seeing at least five large tables open with no customers we begged to be seated and saw that on the sign-in sheet about 20 people after us were seated before us. Our waiter didn't bring us waters but did bring us the wrong beers. We ordered around 830 expecting to eat and finish before the band started. They told us 9pm. The band didn't start until 9:30 and was terrible. Sounded horribly muffled. AND WE STILL DIDN'T HAVE OUR FOOD!!! We complained to our waiter, his supervisor, then the manager. We got several excuses; one being a chef's father died two weeks before and they were still reeling. When we got our food we were no longer hungry. We figured the sight of food would help us only we couldn't see if our food was appetizing because there were no lights anywhere. I easily missed the shrimp tail shells and my wife had to bring her plate into the light to see if hers was done the way she ordered. It wasn't. Despite my wife sending back her food, the food we did eat was great. Baked stuffed lobster - huge, succulent, fresh, buttery.
Captain's seafood casserole - sweet, buttery, filling was outrageous, i actually licked my fingers. Even though we weren't hungry and were literally seconds from walking away, food was great. But was it worth the suffering? We won't know because we won't ever be back.

1 Thank dougedougUF