“Beautiful Setting, Good Food, Ok Service.”

Captain Carlo's Restaurant
Ranked #18 of 141 Restaurants in Gloucester
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Bar scene, Large groups, Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed June 15, 2014

I asked 2 locals for recommendations for good, non-touristy clam chowder and lobster rolls. They both recommended Captain Carlos. We went without reservations on Father's Day. What were we thinking! It turned out that we were seated right away, a group of 7 with a gorgeous view right on the water. The chowder (chowda) was terrific. The fried whole clams were great. But the lobster rolls although had plenty of meat were just ok. The server was fair as he kept forgetting some things that we had to as twice. All in all I would go back.

1  Thank Lois D

Reviewed May 22, 2014

Reviews I read were fair to good but I had my doubts. They're advertising and posted photos are mostly about the entertainment and bar scene. That
is definitely their focus.
It was very, very loud - both from the bar area and the "ambient" background music. We dined on the sun porch, a large glassed-in room with a view of the marina. The tables and chairs are a heavy and stiff plastic that are not comfortable. When using my knife to cut my sandwich, the table shook.
The room was very stuffy so we asked to have the overhead fans turned on. Someone complained so they shut them off - they have only one speed - super high.
The food was good, but only good, not more. The cooked green beans were raw, my knife wouldn't cut them.
First stop, last stop there.

1  Thank DebraLS
Reviewed May 13, 2014

Large menu selection. Great service. Carl is a talented waiter. They have fantastic drinks, delicious apps and a huge choice if entrees. Very reasonably priced. Good bands play there too.

2  Thank CharleneO911
Reviewed May 13, 2014

Food was so-so, clams were big and chewy, very little child portion dinners. we went in about 5PM on a Friday and I suppose it was a payday. You couldn't hear yourself think or even talk to the person next to you since it must be happy hour for all the locals to get inebriated and see how load they can be, Service was terrible, I guess lots more tips keeping the bar supplied. I was brought up in Gloucester and brought some new friends to Capt Carlo's ...I was embarrassed, if these were real clams I should have taken them to the Village in Essex or at least Charles. You used to be a wonderful place with a good mean, but wonder what happened over the years...the money go to your heads. One bad meal , your fault...2 bad meals, MY fault. Never again

Reviewed March 6, 2014

Not great food or ambiance. And hate to sound like a snob, but a bit of a down-market crowd. If you want to drink a lot and be buddies with everyone though, it's not a bad place.

1  Thank Tim P