“Food thoughtfully designed & prepared; great service; responsive management”
Review of Alchemy - CLOSED

Alchemy
Cuisines: American
Good for: Special occasions, Romantic, Bar scene, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: 185 Main St.
Description: You should have no problem finding Alchemy. It is a great restaurant.
Reviewed September 21, 2013

We were looking for a place for a quiet celebration (having just selected a designer for our engagement rings), and were lucky to find Alchemy in Gloucester. The décor is warm and comfortable and a little offbeat -- like a series of great library rooms. The menu is inviting -- combinations clearly designed by someone who is not afraid to mix distinct flavors. The first "!Wows!": Brussel sprouts with maple syrup and cayenne; crispy tofu with fresh hot pepper rings and pineapple and a peanut sauce; a "mofongo" that was just wonderful (mostly because it wasn't much like mofongo)! We never got past the starters menu -- too much to enjoy. Well, not quite true. I don't eat many deserts, but do not regret sharing the maple bread pudding. Our server, Erica O, said the recipe was the chef's grandmother's.

One aspect made this a less than perfect evening: a lack of mindfulness about sound. When we entered, the room we were seated in was not empty, but it was quiet -- the intimate experience we were seeking. Shortly after we ordered two locals were seated two tables away. I was appalled when one of them had a prolonged cell phone conversation with her contractor. Later one of the staff people (not their server) stopped by their table frequently to chat with them at length about their food, their business plans, whatever. Today I called and had a great conversation with the manager, Stephanie, about the audio atmosphere of our meal. She said she'll be attentive in the future and I appreciate her response to my concern.

I know we will return to Alchemy frequently. The food was amazing, our server Erica O was knowledgeable, warm and attentive. For our next visit I will make a reservation and consult with the staff on appropriate seating. If Alchemy was an hour away we'd find a reason to return, but they're seven minutes from home. We've already signed up for a loyalty card.

There are newer reviews for Alchemy

Reviewed September 9, 2013

My wife and I went here for the first time and were blown away by the well prepared food. Great atmosphere and service too. She had the scallops and I had the cod which were both prepared to perfection. We shared the pulled pork appetizer which was amazing.

Reviewed September 9, 2013

This is not a chain restaurant. The decor is tastefully decorated and different in a very positive way. We started with brussell sprouts flavored with maple syrup and cayenne......delicious. The ribs were tender, lean and flavored very nicely. Corn bread and cole slaw accompanied the ribs. My wife went with a burger which was one of the best she's had and the fries were excellent. Plenty of other choices on the menu for those a bit more daring. Our server was very friendly. We highly recommend a stop here if you're looking for something a little different in a casual, comfortable atmosphere.

Reviewed August 27, 2013

The Toronto cocktail, suggested by our savvy waitress was delish, as was the pork belly tortilla and the mufungo.... All suited one to another. Lovely decor, glad to be there on a quiet night but I was so happy to see the various sound baffles for when we come again on a busy night. You will find the vibe cool and a bit chic with food and drinks that tell ou everyone is thinking and executing with skill and a clever mind. ,loved it.

Reviewed August 4, 2013

Great menu with unique selections. Tapas (small plates) as well as full plate options. Well informed servers. Nice local beers and creative mixed drinks. I was a tourist, but would be a regular if I lived in the area.