“A nice quaint place to dine”
Review of Alchemy - CLOSED

Alchemy
Cuisines: American
Good for: Special occasions, Bar scene, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: 185 Main St.
Description: You should have no problem finding Alchemy. It is a great restaurant.
Reviewed July 28, 2013

Had dinner with friends recently and didn't check the menu first. I would recommend that anyone wishing to dine here do that first. Not that the food was bad at all, in fact it was quite good. It did seem a little limited for my taste though. I had the chicken which had what looked like diced bread! Not too much flavor in that. But that aside, everyone else enjoyed their meals. It advertises itself as a tapas restaurant so there are "small" plates. We had the dates and scallops which were tasty. The restaurant did seem to get quite warm towards the end of our meal, just saying. Service was very good.

Reviewed July 22, 2013

We had been out all day and had a late lunch so we weren't very hungry. We stopped in because I had planned our "Daycation" of Gloucester to include Alchemy for dinner, so we shared 3 small plates- they were fabulous! And just the right amount of food. Drinks were great too. I would certainly come back.

Reviewed July 20, 2013

I have eaten here twice and it exceed my expectations. Inspiring and creative dishes with an awesome beer and wine list. Super friendly staff and a very comfortable and relaxing environment. A very cool place for beer and wine snobs, as well as foodies and sophisticates.

Reviewed July 1, 2013

Had dinner with my spouse on a Sunday night... restaurant wasn't busy at all. Seated immediately, our server was very helpful with the wines and both were winners. LOT"s of Gluten Free choices, made a big hit with the Mrs. I had the sirloin, served London Broil style (a bit of a surprise) which was very tasty, though I doubt it was Prime beef as noted on the menu. Came with super au gratin potato... too much of each to finish.

Mrs had seafood risotto, loved it. Split a nice, warm flourless choc. cake.

Only downside is the interior design. Really odd, not very functional/comfortable set up of tables/chairs, and décor from the "let's throw whatever we have in the basement on the walls" variety. Made for a kinda weird environment, not in a good way. Just my opinion... they should get help with that.

Too bad, food, value & service were all 5.

Reviewed June 25, 2013

We walked in off the street on a Sat. night and were surprised to be seated right away. Our server was excellent - brought a sample of a beer I was thinking of trying and also extremely knowledgeable about the menu, very helpful. We've never been to a small plates restaurant so were not sure how much to order, etc. but our server really helped us decide. The food was very good - some items we liked better than others but that I think is the nature of trying new things and not necessarily any issue with he food. We had pork belly tacos which were excellent and also some asparagus with fried egg which were also great...we didn't care for the stuffed dates but we were not sure we would even when we ordered them. I would definitely come again and recommend.

1  Thank V C