“"Wonderful Experience"”

7 Seas Whale Watch
Ranked #1 of 28 Tours in Gloucester
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Trip Advisor's #1 of 26 Tours in Gloucester, 7 Seas Whale Watch has had the privilege of introducing thousands of passengers to the many species of whales and marine wildlife that inhabit the waters from Cape Ann and out to the Stellwagen Bank Marine Sanctuary. Our trips run from mid-April to mid-October and are designed to educate, inspire and provide a deeper understanding and appreciation of our fragile marine environment. We are a family business – Three generations of career captains have worked from this very dock for more than 7 decades. We have a love and respect for the marine environment and a passion for providing the best possible customer experience for you and your family. We look forward to seeing you on the water.
Useful Information: Activities for older children, Stroller parking, Activities for young children, Bathroom facilities, Food available for purchase
Springfield, Missouri
25 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 40 helpful votes
“"Wonderful Experience"”
Reviewed June 13, 2013

We only had one day available during our vacation to take this trip, and the weather leading up to that one day had been rainy and cold, so we were a little nervous that the trip would have to be cancelled. We called a couple of days ahead of time to check and they said that they were planning to go out the day we had scheduled. The boat that they take out is quite large and capable of holding many people, however, the day we were there were less than 20 people on board, so I know that they lost money that day. When my husband picked up our tickets, they told him that they had, in fact, considered cancelling, but decided not to. That, in my opinion, is good business and we were really grateful to them for not cancelling the trip! We would not have had an opportunity to reschedule. Thick fog moved in after about an hour and a half out and everyone was getting worried that we may not be able to see any whales that day, but fortunately, we came upon a humpback and it was so awesome to get to see such a magnificent creature out in the wild! We were able to see it surface several times and our girls had huge grins on their faces. It was an experience none of us will ever forget! A few things I would recommend for this trip are: dressing warm and in layers, so you can adjust accordingly, since the weather is quite a bit cooler on the water than it is on land and taking dramamine prior to leaving out to prevent motion sickness. We did and everyone did just fine, and the water was not smooth the day we were out. Overall, I would highly recommend this trip to anyone of any age - it was fantastic! All of the people with the 7 Seas Whale Watch group were friendly and very nice.

2 Thank Teresa G
7seaswhalewatch, Manager at 7 Seas Whale Watch, responded to this review, June 17, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write trip-advisor talk about the good time you had sailing with us, Teresa. I remember this trip because of the thick fog that nearly kept us from finding any whales this day! It was great when the fog finally cleared and we I saw that big Humpback whale tail in just off the port bow. What a relief!

I like this part of your review in particular:

“....we came upon a humpback and it was so awesome to get to see such a magnificent creature out in the wild!”

You are totally right. It IS great to see a wild and endangered animal in it’s natural habitat. It something quite different fro seeing captive animals in the confines of a zoo or aquarium. In my 24 years spent watching whales off the coast of Massachusetts I can honestly say that seeing these whales never gets old. It’s a special experience for the people who are lucky enough to see these whales, and as long as you move the boat in a slow, predictable way the whales do not seem to be bothered by the boat in the least. All research into the behavior of the whales in our area seems to confirm that observation too.

Thank you for writing and I’m really glad you had a good time on the water.

Belmont,MA
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“A rare sighting!”
Reviewed June 7, 2013

I love Gloucester, and had wanted to take a whaling trip from one of the companies located there, but a trip from Boston fitted our schedule better. However, if you recall, Saturday of this past Memorial day weekend was terrible and our trip was cancelled. When Monday proved to be sunny, I called 7 Seas and they had some availability on their 1:30 trip. The boat is small and the crew friendly and the trip guide a birder and naturalist. It was very cold and windy, so we were lucky that we brought along a backpack with windproof gear, hats and gloves! Even if you think it's warm, the water and wind make for much cooler conditions. Layers, layers, layers. My cousin was fearful that we wouldn't see any whales. I knew better. She had to pay for dinner!
It's a long haul to the northern end of Stellewagen where whales had been spotted, but Gloucester harbor and bay are lovely with many interesting sights that were pointed out to us.
Our first whale turned out to be "Pinball" a distinctive 24 year old female who was engrossed in feeding and not bothered by us at all. We also saw a few other whales, but the biggest thrill was suddenly to find ourselves in a huge pod of Atlantic white-sided dolphins. Mothers and calves were flipping and leaping through the waters wherever we looked. A few hitched a fun ride under the bow of the ship where the water surged up and gave them a free surf ride. It was amazing. The calves are knicknamed, "footballs," because of their shape.
On the way back, a stray magnolia warbler flew over the boat. Hopefully, it caught a ride back with us to shore.
After a wonderful afternoon, we chugged back to Gloucester, mooring alongside the Gloucester Harbor Restaurant. What easier than to devour a bowl of clam chowder!
I recommend making a daylong trip to visit Gloucester, take the 7 Seas Whale Watch and then eat at the Gloucester Harbor.

2 Thank Christianne W
Thankk you for the nice review Christianne. Yes, the weather was difficult this spring but I’m glad you got a good day to be out on the water. I was the “birder and naturalist” on your trip and I remember this day specifically because of the Magnolia Warbler we saw! I love it when we have people out with us that appreciate ALL of the wildlife that we get to see. The whales are, of course, the main focus of our trips and “Pinball” has been very good to us this year. In fact, I just saw Pinball a few hours ago (on 6/17) in virtually the same place we saw her last month! She’s a great whale. Thank you again for the great review!
Bountiful, Utah
24 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 42 helpful votes
“Great experience”
Reviewed June 3, 2013

Wow, what a great trip. We were a bit worried, we've been whale watching in Maui and Cabo Mexico and they were fantastic trips. The boats used in Maui and Cabo were small boats, that only held about 15 people. This boat was a huge vessel and held about 250 people. Seven Seas however, promised to only fill the boat up to about 150 people and we never felt that there was not enough room for us to roam. We actually decided this was nicer than being on a smaller boat. Our fear was that they would not get close enough to see the whales, but they got very close. Each trip is different and none can be duplicated, but we saw 4 humpback whales, a Minky whale and a Basking Shark. The whales made many rolls out of the water and gave us a very good show. Another nice feature about a larger boat, I brought a great camera and never felt worried that it would get wet. Om smaller boats I always worry about bringing the good camera and settle for the smaller one, consequently I've not got great shots until this trip. I highly recommend this, the boat is large enough for parents with small children, they have an inside cabin that would keep any child safe and warm.

1 Thank travelin4funfools
Hey travelin4funfools,

Great username! Thank you for the great review and we’re glad you had a good time out on the water with the whales. I hope you got some great pictures and we look forward to having you out again if you ever have fun travelin’ this way in the future. Thanks again!
Bedford, New Hampshire
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 38 helpful votes
“NOT WORTH THE EXPENSE OR DAMAGE TO THE WHALES”
Reviewed June 1, 2013

This trip amounted to seeing whale backs and tails, which isn't that interesting after the first couple. And, from what I know, the sound from the boat affects the whales. I seriously don't think it is worth the money to see some whale tails, and if it is true that the sound bothers the whales, then that is even more reason not to do it. The boat gets close to them (though you still just see backs and tails), so I can understand that the sound would affect them. I am sure you can have just as good, if not better experience going to an aquarium, than bothering the whales.

Longmeadow, Massachusetts
79 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 66 helpful votes
“You simply should go ...”
Reviewed May 20, 2013

The 7 Seas Whale Watch company is excellent! The boat is clean and comfortable and the staff is extremely knowledgeable. We saw several whales who were feeding. They were super cooperative but at one point two of them came very close and gave us an 'up close and personal' viewing. The excitement of seeing a 'blow' cannot be minimized. A great trip - a super great crew. Go - you won't regret it.

1 Thank Deb G
7seaswhalewatch, Manager at 7 Seas Whale Watch, responded to this review, May 22, 2013
Hi Deb G!

Thank you for writing a review of your trip with us! We really appreciate it when our customers take the time to share their experience with others.

I'm glad you had a good time and we hope to see you again.

Best,