“AWESOME”

7 Seas Whale Watch
Ranked #1 of 30 Tours in Gloucester
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Trip Advisor's #1 of 26 Tours in Gloucester, 7 Seas Whale Watch has had the privilege of introducing thousands of passengers to the many species of whales and marine wildlife that inhabit the waters from Cape Ann and out to the Stellwagen Bank Marine Sanctuary. Our trips run from mid-April to mid-October and are designed to educate, inspire and provide a deeper understanding and appreciation of our fragile marine environment. We are a family business – Three generations of career captains have worked from this very dock for more than 7 decades. We have a love and respect for the marine environment and a passion for providing the best possible customer experience for you and your family. We look forward to seeing you on the water.
Useful Information: Activities for young children, Stroller parking, Activities for older children, Food available for purchase, Bathroom facilities
Reviewed October 9, 2012

We saw so many whales. Humpbacks, multiple times, and a bunch of Minki whales, not just breaching, but jumping completely out of the water, about a dozen times.
My 2 cents: Drinks and food on board are expensive. Bring your own!

7seaswhalewatch, Manager at 7 Seas Whale Watch, responded to this reviewResponded April 8, 2013

Breaching is always fun to see! We don't see it every trip though so count yourself as amongst the lucky ones!

Write a ReviewReviews (1,022)

Reviewed October 7, 2012

We first tried this whale watching trip in April 2011, with no luck, all we swa were 2 dolphins. As we were getting off the boat they offerred us a raincheck voucher but as we never thought we would be this way again we said no thanks.
Then in Sept 2012 the opportunity to come to this part of the world arose, so I emailed 7 seas to ask about the rain check. They had no hesitation in offering us a free trip. The tickets were waiting when we got to the booking office.

This time we had a fabulous trip, fin whales humpback whales and a group of dolphins. The trip was excellent, the knowledge of the staff superb and the whole experience just amazing.

Thank you for making the trip so effortless to book and so rewarding

I'm so happy you were able to come out again. It is exceedingly rare that we don't see whales on a trip. In the 26+ years that we've been in operation we have a greater than 99% success rate at finding whales. The waters off the New England coast are very productive and that's why Gloucester has become the world-famous fishing port that it is, and that's why we usually have a large number of whales in the area.

Thank you for writing and I bet your third trip will be more like your second!

Reviewed October 7, 2012

I am giving this a "very good" review just so it doesn't impact their scores from happy customers. My tour had to turn around due to bad weather and just wanted to share feedback for others.

I picked Seven Seas because they seem to have a good success rate. I have always wanted to see a whale up close and personal! I booked well in advance and we planned a day of a 12 day trip around it. I was concerned because Hurrican Isaac was churning around at the time. So on the day of the trip, the sky was clear but the winds had picked up quite a bit. We arrived and checked to make sure the boat was going out before popping our Dramamine (which the staff was highly recommending with the conditions). The boat headed out as scheduled but decided to turn back due to the conditions after getting out of the harbor. I must say, I thought a few hours with those rough seas was going to be a bit much. So I was disappointed to miss my whale opportunity but I believe they made the right call.

Refunds were given to everyone right away. There was a long line as everyone had to get their refunds at the window but it moved quickly. So I share this for others who are concerned about what happens if the weather is bad. As my sweetie said -we got a free tour of the harbor and some nice pictures!

I remember this trip. Yes, after Isaac departed that northwest wind got pulled down from Canada as the storm (now a strong low pressure system) moved out to sea. We hoped to be able to get out to the whales but it just wasn't possible. The weather was not at all unsafe for the boat, but having people out on deck with that type of motion might have been dangerous so that's why we tuned around. Refunds were given because we never got close to where we expected to see whales.... we weren't just going to take you out a few miles then turn around and keep your money. That's not our style.

Thank you for writing a (very) good review and thank you even more for your understanding.

Reviewed October 3, 2012 via mobile

This trip was highly anticipated by my boyfriend and myself and we were not let down. The tour was both entertaining and extremely informative. I had been on one other whale watch in the past, and didn't learn half as much. Also, 7 Seas keeps the tour groups ay a smaller size, which is great because you agent tripping over other guests to get your pictures. Everybody was very approachable and super friendly. We had some uncooperative weather, which is, obviously, out of anybody's control, so we'd love to return and do it again! Totally worth the trip up from Maryland!

7seaswhalewatch, Manager at 7 Seas Whale Watch, responded to this reviewResponded October 5, 2012

Awesome. Thanks for writing and we're glad you had a great trip! Go O's!

Reviewed October 1, 2012

This is my fifth WW and my first with 7Seas. The guide spent way too much time glamorizing the prospect of sightings all the while missing the actual sightings. Seemed like they were economizing on staff and fuel. I saw multiple whale sightings in the distance which the guide never saw and the captain was very slow to the chase or not at all. Every good trip has always had a spotter in addition to the Captain and Guide. On this day we saw one whale guided from ship's crew. Crew let unruly kids run up and down ship even after we complained. Ship is steel and wouldn't you know a child fell and cut themselves. Poor seamanship! Top it off we got a parking ticket after being told what lot to park in by staff. Next day we went with Cap'n Bills and saw seven different whales up close and personal. My bet is to go with Cap'n Bill he is proven and very devoted to Whale conservation and their well-being.

1  Thank Drzagat
7seaswhalewatch, Manager at 7 Seas Whale Watch, responded to this reviewResponded October 3, 2012

Dear Drzagat,

Thank you for writing a review. After reading your review (and seeing that your visit with us was in September 2012) I went back to check our log book and I believe you came out with us on 9/23/2012. On this day we have in our log book that we did, in fact, see 1 Humpback Whale and that there were also 4 Finback Whales in the area.

A couple of things to consider:

1) The reason the Captain may not have "chased" the whales you saw at a distance is that they were Finbacks and, as you probably know since you are an experienced whale watcher, Humpback Whales are usually much more cooperative in terms of allowing close approaches by boats, spending less time beneath the surface, and Humpback have a tendency to exhibit surface active behaviors much more frequently than other whales species. This is why they have become a favorite among whale watchers not just here in New England but all over the world.

Now to be fair I do think Finbacks are impressive animals. They are, after all, the second largest animal on Earth, but they can be elusive and since there was a Humpback Whale in the area the best bet to ensure our passengers got plenty of good looks was probably to stick with that whale and that species.

2) Concerning the number of whales sighted. As any experienced whale watcher knows, whale watching is a nature trip! These animals are not in cages or pens, they are not trained to perform on command. They are wild animals that are free to roam the oceans at will. Each trip is different and each trip is unique. That is part of keeps whale watching fresh, exciting, and interesting no matter how many times you have been out.

The number of whale seen from one day to the next does vary but is not a function of the boat you are on. According to our ship's log, on September 23, 2012 we saw one Humpback Whale. The following day we saw 6 Humpback Whales. This is how a nature trip works.

3) Concerning the behavior of child passengers on board: We make every effort to ensure the safety of our passengers. While we do speak with kids who are seen running on deck (which is obviously unsafe on an aluminum... not steel... boat) ultimately kids will get excited, especially when we first find whales.

4) Concerning the parking ticket situation: The City of Gloucester implemented a new parking system during the course of the Summer and it did cause confusion at times. If you received a parking ticket we'd be happy to compensate you for it.

Thank again for writing and for giving us 3 stars. I find it interesting how so many TripAdvisor reviews are either 5 or 1 stars. I appreciate someone who can see the middle ground!

Best,