“Fresh and Yummy”

The Gloucester House Restaurant
Ranked #16 of 144 Restaurants in Gloucester
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Local cuisine, Large groups
Description: The Gloucester House restaurant is renowned for its local lobster dishes and for the freshest North Atlantic seafood, prepared to perfection. Having been among the first to popularize fried calamari, our specialties range from award-winning clam chowder to homemade bread and cornbread, from Dottie's bourbon cake to Lily's wine list, and from Sambuca mussels to blackened haddock tacos to a fried fisherman's reuben sandwich. We always cook to order and have gluten free and vegetarian menus available, as well as children's meals. Dine full-service on our outdoor, dockside deck or eat lobsters in-the-rough on our harbor side wharf. Located on historic Seven Seas Wharf, there's something for everyone here: shop for souvenirs and local art at our General Store gift shop, enjoy a sail on the Schooner Thomas E. Lannon, or see the whales aboard Seven Seas Whale Watch. Whatever your fancy may be, the Linquata family invites you to join us year-round for a true taste of New England.
Reviewed August 16, 2014

My Mother (81), daughter(18), and I (?) stopped at the Gloucester house on a recent day trip to the North Shore. The décor could use some modernization, but the food was very good. All three of us completely enjoyed our meals. My daughter loved her clam strips, and said they were sweet and tender. My mom's baked haddock arrived swimming in butter with a crumb topping which she loved. She said it was real old New England comfort food. I had blackened haddock on a Caesar salad which was just delicious. The seafood was all incredibly fresh and high quality.
One of my daughter's favorite food items is corn bread. Prior to the meal, a basket arrived with 3 large pieces of the sweetest, moistest cornbread I have ever had. It was delicious.....in fact, we enjoyed it so much that we tried to figure out how to take the leftover piece with us....we never figured out a way and had to leave it behind. I will definitely return to the Gloucester House.

Reviewed August 14, 2014

We went to the Gloucester House many years ago. It was awful and we never returned. But, we had heard good things about it recently and they advertised a new menu, new wine list and new experience, so we decided to give it a try. The staff is lovely. The food is mixed. I had the Bing Bang Shrimp appetizer which was quite good. My husband had the baked stuffed clams which were almost all breading with hardly any clam. His lobster was fine. My lobster pie was good. The bread was delicious, but there's something to be said for a restaurant when the high point of the meal is the bread. They need to take it up a notch.

Reviewed August 10, 2014

The food was actually much better than I thought it would be. It has that large touristy restaurant look to it but didn't have the touristy low quality food. Sit outside, if you can, and watch the fishing boats come into the harbor. Unfortunately, it started raining a few minutes after we sat down and we had to move inside. Inside isn't anything special but it was actually very good. The lobster pie was phenomenal. The wait staff was friendly but a little slow and absent and when I was significantly overcharged on my bill, it took a long time for her to return so I could tell her that. Then, getting it fixed took a while. Thankfully we weren't in a rush so it was fine.

1  Thank Stacey086
Reviewed August 8, 2014

I had the Bing Bang Shrimp. Very tasty. Right on the water. Nice central location. Quick friendly service.

Reviewed August 6, 2014

We sat outside overlooking the harbor. I had a Chandon spilt & lobster carbonara. The bing bang shrimp appetizer was delicious, could have eaten that all night. Service was prompt & friendly. I would go again.