“Delicious food in unexpectedly cosmpopolitan atmosphere” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Franklin Cafe Cape Ann

Franklin Cafe Cape Ann
Ranked #10 of 137 Restaurants in Gloucester
Cuisines: American, Seafood, Contemporary
Good for: Romantic, Bar scene, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Chicago
“Delicious food in unexpectedly cosmpopolitan atmosphere”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 17, 2008

We had a fabulous dinner here during a recent vacation in Gloucester. Overall, we had a great dining experience. The service is quite good - the right amount of attention and speed, and they don't hover. They start you with delicious bread and some kind of white bean/garlic spread that is truly delicious. I had a to-die for appetizer of shaved, matchstick-sized zucchini which was pan-sauteed with sunflower seeds, balsamic, and then there was melted asiago cheese on top. Sweet-salt--savory-crunch - it was an incredible way to prepare a humble vegetable! Husband had one of the best seafood chowders we had ever tasted - heavenly.

I had the panko-crusted scallops for dinner. WOW. They came with a small amount of a tarragon cream sauce on the bottom for ddipping and sauteed spinach. One of the best meals I've had in a long time. My husband had the cod and loved it. We also ordered a side of their sinful mashed potatoes. All the food was, as we like to say, "made with love" - beautiful plates, beautiful presentation.

Ordered the banana/chocolate bread pudding for dessert. It was good, but not great. Something was missing and neither of us could put a finger on it...good, but not a showstopper. That did not stop us from feeling like it was an excellent meal. Highly recommend the Franklin !! p.s. Recommend getting a reservation - this place was crowded on a weeknight at 6:30.

1 Thank SMBhicago

Providence RI
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Good upscale restaurant in Gloucester”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2008

Had my birthday dinner there this weekend and it was a wonderful experience. It's a great looking restaurant, the staff was attentive, the food was delicious and the place was lively and fun -- just what we were looking for. It's not a place to take the kids after a day at the beach but if you want to get cleaned up and eat like grown-ups, it's the place to go in Gloucester.

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“My mom and I went to the...”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 28, 2008

My mom and I went to the franklin when it first opened and we've been going since. The grilled calamari appetizer is one of my favorite dishes that I have had anywhere.

Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
Gloucester, MA
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Frankly Disapointing”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 15, 2008

Went there for a Valentine's dinner and it could have been because it was so crowded, but the food was ok at best and the seating was way too close.
I prefer my tuna steak well done and couldn't get it that way - no explanation given, just was told that the chef wouldn't cook it like that. Have never been told that I could not get fish cooked a certain way anywhere before.
There are many other restaurants in Gloucester that are actually great that I would recommend to people before going here!

1 Thank glostagirl7
Gloucester, MA
“Excellent Dining!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 2, 2006

The Franklin is without a doubt the best restaurant on Cape Ann. We ate there three nights during our stay in Gloucester!

1 Thank Hadley_Smith