“Return visit” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Franklin Cafe Cape Ann

Franklin Cafe Cape Ann
Ranked #10 of 137 Restaurants in Gloucester
Cuisines: American, Seafood, Contemporary
Good for: Romantic, Bar scene, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Gloucester, Massachusetts, United States
“Return visit”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 8, 2013

We started the New Year (2013) off right by having dinner on Saturday at the Franklin Cafe Cape Ann. This time, we had reservations and we were seated upstairs in a very comfortable dining room. My wife started off with their chopped crisp iceberg lettuce salad and I had the mixed green salad. Nothing was left on either salad plate. Very unusual for us. Our main course was the braised beef short rib and the grilled hanger steak frites, respectively. These were both winning selections. Tender, flavorful and comforting. We were bold enough to have dessert; a wonderful pastry with apple ice cream and a mini chocolate lava cake with vanilla bean ice cream capped off a terrific meal. Our New Year's Resolution: we will be back. This is one resolution that won't be broken.

• Visited January 2013
1 Thank Don W

Stoughton, Massachusetts
“Outstanding food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 22, 2012

My fiance' and I have been to Franklin many times and I can honestly say we have never been disappointed. The food is consistently excellent. Service is friendly and knowledgeable. Enjoy!

• Visited August 2012
1 Thank 54Arnie
“An Exception in Gloucester”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 12, 2012

Most visitors to Gloucester land in the obvious dining spots which are, unfortunately, mostly mediocre. However, local foodies recognize that the Franklin is an exception. Maria and her mostly family member staff have created a friendly, cozy oasis on Main Street that offers consistently good food with a diverse, but not exhaustive menu. Although the American bistro-style standards are always reliable, the menu changes seasonally to introduce compelling options. At the moment, my favorite appie is the delicious "Steamed Pork & Scallion Dumplings"
served with egg noodles and enhanced soy dipping sauce and my wife regularly dives into the "Tuna Tartare". Each night there is a special chef's chicken entree, a pizzeta of the day, and other off the menu treats. Last night, I had the seared yellowfin tuna that was superb! (so much better than ahi!). Although modestly priiced, the wine list offers an eclectic selection of very good pours. The first floor can be a bit dark and often very noisy, but on weekday nights the mood is generally just right. The second floor is open on weekends with a separate bar and mor romatic, quieter dibning experience with very large windows overlooking downton Gloucester. The Franklin seldom disappoints!

• Visited November 2012
1 Thank AnnisquamAdventurer
Gloucester, Massachusetts
“Franklin Fall Menu makes me so happy”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2012

Another great meal at Franklin Cape Ann. We hadn't gotten a newsletter in awhile, so we were delighted to see one come through announcing that the fall menu had dropped.

One thing I love about Franklin is that the seasonal menu changes bring back favorites from their many years in operation. I am always excited to see the Franklin classics resurface - and fall seems like the season where the return to the familiar is most powerful - like pulling out your favorite sweaters, revisiting those cold weather comfort foods is soul nourishing.

This swing of the menu brought back the pork dumplings with soba noodles, colorful peppers and scallions and a soy dipping sauce. I love this appetizer. We also chose the arugula salad with a sweet jam (shallot, I think) and a generous fried goat cheese crouton. The sweetness of the jelly, the bitterness of the greens and the creaminess of the goat cheese (oh and the salty richness of the "shell" on the cheese) worked perfectly. So good.

We had chosen our entrees before we made our reservations - Franklin Fall Menu 2012 includes two of our favorite dishes - the Butternut Squash Ravioli with toasted pine nuts and a sweet, rich brown butter and my husband's all time favorite- the mile high short ribs with crispy house made fried onions served on a tomato risotto. I think he mentioned it about 400 times between the arrival of the enewsletter and our actual reservation. He was not disappointed.

Though the first courses were filling, and so fulfilling, and despite our general aversion to dessert (just not sweet-tooths), we DID opt for the banana bread pudding to share with coffee. It may have tipped the scale, but it was sooo worth the guilt.

• Visited October 2012
Boston, Massachusetts
“Best restaurant on Cape Ann”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 24, 2012 via mobile

My husband and I have been doing a major house renovation and addition since the beginning of May, which has meant that we have eaten dinner out every night since. We have been to the Franklin at least once a week for the past six months and it is consistently the best restaurant on Cape Ann. The food is excellent. The steak is cooked exactly as requested, every time. Both the filet mignon and the ribeye are amazingly flavorful. The fish is always fresh and delicious, whether it's cod, haddock or halibut. The appetizers and salads are imaginative and tasty. Unlike many restaurants that aspire to fine dining status, the portions are plentiful. Add to this a very good drink and wine selection, excellent, friendly wait staff and a nice ambience, and you have an enjoyable dining experience every time, whether you sit at the bar, at a table, or upstairs. I'm almost sorry that the kitchen is nearly done!