“Working person's lunch place”

Halibut Point Restaurant
Ranked #37 of 141 Restaurants in Gloucester
Cuisines: Seafood
Reviewed March 8, 2012

Great sandwiches and chowder, the Halibut is a Gloucester iinstitution and never fails to deliver great food with a great attitude. Well worth a visit.

2  Thank pamsgood

Reviewed December 6, 2011

Halibut Point Restaurant is not the place for you if you want to overpay and be pampered. But if you want good pub food and THE BEST CLAM CHOWDER in the East, plus a good beer or two, stop by. We first stumbled on this place by accident (we live outside Washington) in 2005. It looked, and felt, like the place in "Cheers," with great women behind the bar. The clam chowder was so good that, for it alone, we have gone out of our way almost every year (sometimes 100 miles out of our way!) to get to Halibut Point. I've tried 40? 50? New England clam chowders since, each time assuming that the odds and the passing yours would reveal that others were as good. Not! The chowder alone is worth the visit; the whole place worth a trip.

2  Thank MackSandy
Reviewed November 18, 2011

We finally made our way to Halibut POINT Restaurant which is the correct name. It is a warm and cozy restaurant & bar located on the east end of Main Street in the 1900 Building formerly belonging to Howard Blackburn. The exposed brick and the diminutive size of this restaurant make for a very casual and warm atmosphere, however, the back room lacks any of the front room's charm. The kitchen is tiny and is the first thing you see upon entering - which I really, really like - no secrets here. The Chef says "Hello" and "Goodbye" first and last. We started with one garden salad and a chowder. The garden salad was a plate of mixed lettuces, some onion, and croutons on a tiny plate. For $6 bucks, I wanted more. Some tomatoes, some cucumbers, maybe a few sprouts, a litle carrot perhaps. Otherwise, it should be called "plate of mixed lettuces" not a garden salad. I would not get this again - disappointing. The chowder was good though very thick - a litte too thick. I had the swordfish and my partner the steak tips. I was a wee bit surprised to see steaktips (and not many of them) selling at $20 in such a casual establishment. $12 would have bought a huge plate just down the street at the Pilot House. My swordfish was $24 and the portion was big enough for me, but maybe not others. Still, it was raw on the inside. The waitress wisked my plate away upon my informing her and returned it a few minutes later - still slightly undercooked. I left the undercooked pieces on the plate and when she saw them, she deducted the cost of my dinner from the bill....which was good. However, she missed an opportunity to tell me so which would have been nice. Beets were served with the steak tips, a rather odd combination. The sides were forgettable - no fried foods are available here. For dessert, we had the Low Tide Pie which was most yummy and a normal size adequate for sharing.
I returned a week later and had a hamburger and some rather tasteless roasted potatoes.. My partner had a reuben. Both were good, nothing spectacular, but perfectly tasty. Again, the atmosphere is the best part and the food is solid and tasy, but don't expect gourmet or large portions. The prices might fool you a bit as they are high for what you get...but it is a warm cozy little place that must be delightful in the winter.
Since I am a local, I'll go back for the atmosphere more than the food. Still, I will try Stones Pub across the street first....

1  Thank MitziMom
Reviewed September 17, 2011

Interesting small place in downtown Gloucester. It has a "local" feel to it and the food is good and the decor is nautical but also noisy. Draws a good crowd.

2  Thank amortizor73
Reviewed August 6, 2011

While staying in Rockport, took a short ride over to Gloucester. Came upon an unassuming bar/restaurant on Main St. I had the best clam chowder that I have ever had in my life here, hands down. I also had an excellent hamburger to go with it, that I washed down with a beer. The service was also great, and the ambience included listening in on locals having a heated discussion about politics. I would highly recommend checking out this restaurant when in the Gloucester area!

2  Thank 2tripluvers