“Lovely atmosphere, great service, realtively pricey.”

Halibut Point Restaurant
Ranked #29 of 141 Restaurants in Gloucester
Cuisines: Seafood
Gloucester, Massachusetts
“Lovely atmosphere, great service, realtively pricey.”
Reviewed November 18, 2011

We finally made our way to Halibut POINT Restaurant which is the correct name. It is a warm and cozy restaurant & bar located on the east end of Main Street in the 1900 Building formerly belonging to Howard Blackburn. The exposed brick and the diminutive size of this restaurant make for a very casual and warm atmosphere, however, the back room lacks any of the front room's charm. The kitchen is tiny and is the first thing you see upon entering - which I really, really like - no secrets here. The Chef says "Hello" and "Goodbye" first and last. We started with one garden salad and a chowder. The garden salad was a plate of mixed lettuces, some onion, and croutons on a tiny plate. For $6 bucks, I wanted more. Some tomatoes, some cucumbers, maybe a few sprouts, a litle carrot perhaps. Otherwise, it should be called "plate of mixed lettuces" not a garden salad. I would not get this again - disappointing. The chowder was good though very thick - a litte too thick. I had the swordfish and my partner the steak tips. I was a wee bit surprised to see steaktips (and not many of them) selling at $20 in such a casual establishment. $12 would have bought a huge plate just down the street at the Pilot House. My swordfish was $24 and the portion was big enough for me, but maybe not others. Still, it was raw on the inside. The waitress wisked my plate away upon my informing her and returned it a few minutes later - still slightly undercooked. I left the undercooked pieces on the plate and when she saw them, she deducted the cost of my dinner from the bill....which was good. However, she missed an opportunity to tell me so which would have been nice. Beets were served with the steak tips, a rather odd combination. The sides were forgettable - no fried foods are available here. For dessert, we had the Low Tide Pie which was most yummy and a normal size adequate for sharing.
I returned a week later and had a hamburger and some rather tasteless roasted potatoes.. My partner had a reuben. Both were good, nothing spectacular, but perfectly tasty. Again, the atmosphere is the best part and the food is solid and tasy, but don't expect gourmet or large portions. The prices might fool you a bit as they are high for what you get...but it is a warm cozy little place that must be delightful in the winter.
Since I am a local, I'll go back for the atmosphere more than the food. Still, I will try Stones Pub across the street first....

• Visited November 2011
1 Thank MitziMom

Boston
“Average Pub Grub”
Reviewed September 17, 2011

Interesting small place in downtown Gloucester. It has a "local" feel to it and the food is good and the decor is nautical but also noisy. Draws a good crowd.

• Visited October 2010
2 Thank amortizor73
Yardley, Pennsylvania
“Best Clam Chowder ever!”
Reviewed August 6, 2011

While staying in Rockport, took a short ride over to Gloucester. Came upon an unassuming bar/restaurant on Main St. I had the best clam chowder that I have ever had in my life here, hands down. I also had an excellent hamburger to go with it, that I washed down with a beer. The service was also great, and the ambience included listening in on locals having a heated discussion about politics. I would highly recommend checking out this restaurant when in the Gloucester area!

• Visited July 2011
1 Thank 2tripluvers
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Excellent restaurant”
Reviewed July 8, 2011

My absolute favorite restaurant in gloucester. Great atmosphere and great food! I always make sure to stop there while in the area

1 Thank ymhelvetican
Boston, Massachusetts
“Claim Chowder no longer any good”
Reviewed August 30, 2010

Lived in Gloucester for 10 years loved the clam chowder here, thought iwas was the best anywhere. Have gone back and been disappointed and no longer very good. One time is was kinda "sour" tasting and gave it one more try and just was good. Also got a burger which was overcooked. Use to love the place, will not go back again. Go to the Causeway Restaurant instead.

3 Thank sg12205