“Do they even care?”

Got a photo?
Add it.
Olivia's by the Sea
Cuisines: American
Description: amazing new restaurant in Gloucester, MA that "foodies" need to know about. Had lunch there today and I'd like to review...
Reviewed July 23, 2012

I've never had to send back food TWICE for being COLD, but at Olivia's this week, that was true. No one seemed interested in serving a hot dish, and cold scrod is not something to be enjoyed. I actually had to get up from the table to find a server to send the entre back a second time. I don't think of myself as fussy, but I like my food cooked.
Not a place I would recommend or to which I would return.

Mitch A, Manager at Olivia's by the Sea, responded to this reviewResponded August 18, 2012

My sincere apologies for the problems you encountered. We have recently expanded both the staff and the kitchen to better serve our patrons. Our new Executive Chef Hugo is creating some wonderful new dishes. As as the new manager, I will ensure our guests receive superior service. Please try us again. Thank you,

Mitch

Reviewed July 17, 2012

This restaurant replaces a fried food place (Amelia's) that was in the same location for years. Olivia's menu is more upscale, but you can still get all the expected fried seafood platters as well as a nice selection of salads, pasta dishes and grilled fish and meats. We were at a table on the deck and enjoyed a wonderful evening breeze...good thing the bugs weren't out since we waited a long time for a meal on a not-very-busy Tuesday night. The restaurant wasn't even half full, so I can't imagine what the wait would be if it was busy. My companions and I enjoyed our meals (when they finally came), but the waitress never came back to check whether we had received everything we'd ordered (we hadn't and never did get the remaining item, despite a request to another waitress who assured us she would relay the message). We also had to go inside and ask for a refill on water because none of the 3 waitresses on the deck came by to see if we needed anything else. Maybe the service is better inside - one can only hope! I might not expect to have a waitress stop by a couple of times if this was a fried fish shack, but clearly their menu aspires to be more than that.

Olivia's doesn't have a liquor license yet, so it's BYOB, which is great for us locals, but might be inconvenient if you're visiting. There are at least a dozen tables on the deck and the inside is pleasant and spacious. A nice place for a very leisurely meal (whether you planned it that way or not.)

1  Thank ShoreFan
Reviewed July 12, 2012

Did take out from Olivia's. Delicious and plentiful Italian food.

Reviewed July 11, 2012

Ate here after a beach day. It was a nice place and pretty good food!!!

Reviewed July 9, 2012

We had a late lunch here while on vacation last week. Our party all enjoyed their meals and the service was excellent. Interior was extremely clean and cool. We had small children in our party and the server gave us a coloring book and crayons for them, which was a nice touch.