All reviews continental breakfast yogurt great view rooms are clean our home away from home heated pool very nice place to stay beautiful pool downtown gloucester view of the ocean new england close to town minute drive cape ann area cup of coffee baked goods the east coast
Reviewed July 2, 2013

We loved the Vista and her staff as outstandingly cheerful, helpful, and knowledgeable. The minute we arrived we had a quick and organized check in from Lauren. There were 3 of us; when we got to our room we noticed there were only 2 deck chairs on our veranda. There were 2 attendants cleaning rooms below, across the lot. We asked them if they could take care of it. When we returned from lunch it was done! Breakfast was outstanding as everything was fresh and they had GREEK yogurt! Muffins were kept inside of a glass turntable, and warm. There were also plenty of games, magazines and books for keeping families content.The view from our second story building was glorious. Parking stall was underneath our room. The grounds were impeccably groomed with shrubs and flowers amidst the trees. We enjoyed the pool area, next to the breakfast area. There was a tub of “noodles” to float with. Even though some of the colors and décor was from the 70’s, it was very well kept, and in working order. We loved our sea green tiled bathroom! The beds were comfy too, and during sleeping hours things were quiet as a mouse. We heard little noise during the day. Tell them Alan and Kathy Patterson from St. Pete FL sent them!

Room Tip: Choose the rooms with the balconies, which are behind the first level building. You actually have your own parking stall, under your room. It's up on a ridge, but the 2nd level rooms get the best views.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed June 29, 2013

We were staying in Gloucester for just a few days. (Usually we rent a house for several weeks.) I wanted something nice but not too expensive. My brother-in-law, who lives in Gloucester, suggested something near the beaches "with a good view." Most of the hotels/motels near Good Harbor Beach are pretty pricey in the season. But I found the Vista and took a chance. What a nice place! The only room they had available was an efficiency, which was fine. A motel room with a small frig and a 2-burner stove. The view from the deck was awesome - Good Harbor Beach and the marshes. I walked to the beach in less than 15 minutes and entered via the wooden footbridge. What a lovely beach!

My husband said that the TV in our room was better than what we had at home. The breakfast (billed as "continental" - I guess because there were no eggs) was exactly what I wanted - many cereals, fresh fruit, juices, cereal, choices of yogurt. The pool was tiny but clean. Lovely landscaping, friendly people and a great location. Highly recommended.

Room Tip: Even the first floor efficiencies have a great view.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed June 27, 2013

We have stayed at the Vista for the past 12 summers! We would not consider staying anywhere else! The rooms are clean and well maintained. The pool is key considering we travel with children of various ages and you can only stay so long at the amazing beaches. The breakfast (free!) is delicious and has many items from which to choose. We love the breakfast room with the games, books, magazines for the little down time we have! Prices are great for what you get.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed June 23, 2013

I chose to stay at this motel based on location (near family), price and Tripadvisor comments. I am glad I did.
The hotel is spread out on a cliff just a mile or so from the sea. The view is spectacular. It looks on the bay and salt marshes near the motel.
The upkeep on the rooms is excellent - good maid service, clean, lovely grassy area and plantings to add to the view. We noted someone touching up some paint on one of the rooms. There is a lot of attention to detail.
The rooms are not overly large, but adequate size. We had two queen sized beds with very comfortable mattresses which ensured a great sleep. The pillows were as comfortable, The bed covering is in a blue green subtle stripe design which added to appearance. The TV is hidden in a nice looking cabinet and there is a writing table near the same closet.
The bathrooms are not overlarge, but is adequate. I thought I had asked for a handicap room. What I got was a bathtub with one bar to hold on to for assistance. They also provided a shower chair since I have trouble getting in and out of tubs. There are no bars nears the toilet (usually found in a handicap room). I do not require these, but if you do be sure to talk to the manager about a room that does if you need it.
Our room had two entrances - one near the parking area and one that lead to a small porch overlooking the superb view.
The continental breakfast was very good and we took the time to use it twice. The stairs to the breakfast nook at a bit steep but there is a way around the back that does not require going up and down stairs. I elected to use the stairs because the other way is a lot longer. The breakfast area is staffed, so you can get milk or other breakfast items if they should run out. You can sit inside or out.
There is also a heated pool, but we did not have the time to use it.
There is a grocery store and a drug store right around the corner and just a few miles away there are numerous eating places. The hotel provided a reference book of the menus of a number of eating places in the area. .
The price was right. We went the third week in June, right before the summer rates raise the prices. In comparison to other hotels or this type in the area, it has competitive pricing.
We intended to go to the Boston area every 2-3 years and will select this hotel each time.
note: the road up to the motel is very steep - make sure your brakes are in good condition. Also note that most approaches to the motel require driving through a rotary (round about). If you are not used to these be careful!
My only slight negative is that it takes 3-4 minutes for the shower to run hot water. I hate wasting water! I am not sure why this happens, but the management did have a note in the bathroom stating that would happen.

Room Tip: The rooms with a full view are a little more expensive. Ours had a partial view but it certainly was very nice and soothing. Talk to the manager to get a good view. The area is quiet and serene.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 14, 2013

The Vista Motel was rated well on Tripadvisor which I made the basis for my selection. The positive comments by many others were on the mark. Spacious, clean rooms with a view of the beach from a distance. Quiet surroundings and a basic continental breakfast which is open till 11AM which is nice for those of us who like to sleep a little later.
I definitely recommend it and would stay here again if in the area..

Room Tip: Ask when booking if you have a mobility issue as our building required stairs.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple