“Great location, try to avoid 1st floor rooms”

Atlantis Oceanfront Inn
Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Gloucester
Boston, Massachusetts
“Great location, try to avoid 1st floor rooms”
Reviewed August 9, 2011

Stayed 2 nights for a quick, last minute getaway. This was one of the few places with any cancellations, fortunately for us they were able to give us a room at $180/night.

The room was on the first floor, facing the ocean, but actually about 3-4 steps down/below ground level. When looking out the window your eyes were at lawn level so you didn't really have a view of the water. If I were to stay again I would avoid this level.

The room itself was clean and adequate, nothing very special, and one of the beds sort of sloped, like it was an older mattress. The air conditioner had a strange smell when it was turned on, a sort of musty smell, which I guess could be caused by the location or age of the place. Towels are a bit worn, I like newer/fluffy towels. But again, adequate.

Didn't get a chance to try the restaurant, but they had yummy free chocolate chip cookies in the lobby. And, menus to all the local places.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank DMReicher

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (125)
Coaldale, Pennsylvania
Reviewed August 3, 2011

I was looking for awhie for the perfect place to take my wife for our 20th wedding anniversary and was fortunate to stay with her at the Atlantis Oceanfront Inn! The staff here were very friendly and helpful from the planning of this trip and our stay. We stayed in room 214 from July 17th to July 24th.The views from the room were spectacular and we did not miss a sunrise the whole week! We visited halibut state park,harbor lighthouse tour,Cape Ann whale watch,Salem,Rockport,Gloucester,Hammond Castle were some of the highlights of our vacation. Our favorite places to eat was Captain Carlos and Topside Grille! Thank you Atlantis Ocenfront Inn for the perfect 20th Wedding Anniversary trip.Vince and Lori Suzadail Coaldale,Pa

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Liverpool, New York
Reviewed August 1, 2011

My kids and I stayed at the Atlantis for four nights in July. What an amazing time! It was so hard to leave!!! The staff was friendly, the hotel clean and well maintained and the view was incredible!!! The people next to us had been staying at the Atlantis every year for the past 30+ years so you know it had to be great! Loved it! Will definitely stay there again.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Amherst, Massachusetts
Reviewed July 14, 2011

My family and I spent several days this July at the Atlantis Oceanfront  Inn. Upon our arrival we were greeted by a friendly staff member who checked us in and personally escorted us to our room. We were exhausted from a long hot road trip and delighted to find a clean  and cool room awaiting us. We rested and then decided to take a dip in the pool. The pool area is gorgeous with exquisite gardens and the pool is salt water so no stinging eyes from chlorine. That evening the staff directed us to a family friendly restaurant that was delicious and reasonably priced, definitely not a tourist trap. I was impressed by the staff’s knowledge and love of Cape Ann area, directing us to beautiful places of interest such as Halibut Point State Park which we would not have visited without the recommendation of the staff at the Atlantis.
The rooms were extremely comfortable, my daughter actually wanted to take the pillows home because she thought they were perfect.
After a wonderful night’s sleep I enjoyed coffee on the porch overlooking a vast expanse of the Atlantic Ocean. I took a lovely ½ mile walk along the coast  to Good Harbor Beach and returned to join my family for a delicious breakfast in the Oceanfront Café.
We spent several wonderful days at the Atlantis Oceanfront Inn, leaving well rested and filled with memories of our adventures in the Cape Ann area. We will definitely return to Cape Ann as there is so much history and natural beauty and we will most definitely stay at the Atlantis Oceanfront Inn again.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank Mary L
central New York
Reviewed July 12, 2011

I booked 3 nights at the Atlantis Oceanfront Inn as a special mini-vacation to celebrate our 5 year wedding anniversary. I noted in previous reviews that a king-sized bed was hard to come by, so I made our reservation as soon as the Inn opened for the 2011 season. I booked a 2nd floor king room (all 2nd floor rooms have ocean-facing balconies). This is exactly what we received and we were very happy with our stay. You are paying for the view and it is beautiful. The room was good-sized and very clean, with a table and two chairs, low dresser with tv, and private dressing area outside of bathroom. Free high-speed internet had a good connection.
Two items of disappointment: (1) balconies were not private. There is a semi-divide with the rooms on either side, but one could easily walk onto the neighboring balcony, or if you were leaning on the railing you would see everyone on the balcony, (2) the bed was a very plush pillow-top – at home we are accustomed to a firm mattress and this bed was just too soft for us.
We did not eat at the restaurant nor did we use the pool – but the pool looked great and if we were interested in pool-swimming it appeared welcoming. We enjoyed waking up with the sun each morning (rooms are VERY BRIGHT in the morning, even with the curtains closed) and walking alone the ocean. Some great areas for shell-collecting are a few minutes walk from the Inn. If the Atlantis is in your budget, I would definitely recommend it for a special occasion getaway.

Room Tip: book very early if you want a king-sized bed
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank breelynd
Virginia Beach
Reviewed July 7, 2011

We stayed at the Atlantis Inn for three nights in June 2011. The first night we stayed on the bottom floor with a slightly recessed patio. This room was clean, and it had a nice view of the ocean across the street. The lighting in the bathroom was not very good. I felt this room was what you would expect of a two star hotel, like a Holiday Inn but because of the view a bit nicer. The room we stayed in for the last two nights was room number 8. This room was located by the pool on the first floor in a non recessed area. I felt this room was a little nicer, the beds were very comfortable and the bathroom lighting was somewhat better. Still a two star room but more like a Hampton Inn. I did not like being located next to the stair case and the pool ramp. The ramp hindered our view of the water across the street. Luckily for us it was too cold for people to be out at the pool. Both rooms 9 and 8 are located by the ramp. If I went back I would not want a pool view unless I had kids with me or it was cold outside.
Overall this is a nice clean hotel situated in a good location for walking and riding bikes and it also has an attractive pool. The restaurant’s atmosphere is pleasant but I was not that crazy about the food but we only ate there one day, so maybe we just got the wrong thing. I would stay here again because of the views, and location. I think this hotel is one of the nicest in comparison to some of the other hotels around it.

Room Tip: top floors for ocean views, dnt stay in rooms 8 and 9, because of noise and privacy not by pool
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank malyko
Boston, MA
Reviewed June 29, 2011

Anyone who has ever gotten married on the North Shore knows what a pain in the rear it is to find hotel blocks for guests. I decided that Gloucester just collectively hates weddings and everything associated with them.

Jane at the Atlantis proved me *completely* wrong. Not only was the Atlantis half a block from our venue, it was the only hotel in Gloucester I could find that would even discuss blocks with me. We were able to reserve a small block, but a block nonetheless with a very reasonable agreement (any rooms left empty by 6 weeks before the wedding open to the public). As the wedding got closer, Jane only proved to be more and more helpful.

Our event ended up being amazing and I am SO glad we decided to work with the Atlantis. My husband and I and both our immediate families all stayed there for the whole wedding weekend and absolutely loved the place. The rooms are simple but absolutely all you need - updated bathrooms, a balcony, and of course, the incredible view. The only downside is a lack of queen- and king-sized beds (most rooms have two full beds). Jane allowed us to use the cafe as a last-minute rehearsal space since it rained the whole weekend and we'd planned for an outdoor rehearsal with no backup plan (oops). And best of all, we had an emergency overnight FedEx delivery that had to go right to the Atlantis, which was no problem at all: the staff signed for it on our behalf with no attitude or complaint. And the day after the wedding, THEY called FedEx to have the package picked up so we didn't have to worry about a thing!

We ended up hosting our post-wedding brunch right in the Atlantis breakfast cafe, which was easy to plan with Jane, delicious and very reasonably priced, and of course very convenient for everyone who was staying there and at other nearby hotels.

Keep in mind this is a 'beach motel'-style establishment, but with that expectation it is comfortable, accommodating, and really a lovely choice for wedding guests.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Gloucester
Beauport Hotel
Cape Ann's Marina Resort
Cape Ann's Marina Resort
#6 of 7 in Gloucester
Bearskin Neck Motor Lodge

Been to Atlantis Oceanfront Inn? Share your experiences!