“Castles Rock!! ”

and up
Gloucester Harbor Cruise with Lobster Bake
Ranked #3 of 57 things to do in Gloucester
More attraction details
Owner description: Medieval-style castle built by inventor John Hays Hammond.
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“Castles Rock!! ”
Reviewed January 21, 2014 via mobile

Actually went my first time to this castle in July 2011. It is the first castle I visited in the United States although I was born here and lived here my whole life. It was just me am my mother touring and we ended up touring along with some high school kids who were given a narrated your. I learned so much and enjoyed every area of the castle we experienced. If you love old things and history it's a great place to visit.

Williamsburg, Virginia
41 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 66 helpful votes
“A Jewel of History, Science, and Eccentricity”
Reviewed January 1, 2014

Five minutes from downtown Gloucester. An early 20th century castle that was the home of the man who has the second most American patents (behind Charles Edison); he and his wife did not have children; and, they shared an inheritance. The castle is filled in ancient and medieval objects and entire rooms, plus one of the largest private pipe organs in the world. Overall, the castle is an intriguing insight of a brilliant man and the wealthy entertaining times of the Twenties and Thirties.

Visited September 2013
1 Thank Jeffrey M
cape ann massachusetts
20 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“fairy tale castle with fairy tale story”
Reviewed November 25, 2013

this is a pleasant stop on your bike or car or running tour around the 25 miles of cape ann the best ground and vista views in and out of forests, city and residential and business areas. see the fishing boats, the harbor, the beaches, the lighthouse, the roads in and out the moraine
of granite millions of years. The far horizon above the sea and maybe catch a view of a harvest moon.

Visited September 2013
Napanee, Canada
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 37 helpful votes
“A surprising Finf”
Reviewed October 12, 2013

Whenn
Planning our family trip to Boston I had not heard pf Hammond Castle. The thought of a medieval castle had never crossed my mind but why would you think of castles in New England. Our friends had suggested it. Gloucestor was a 1.5 hour drive north of Boston but the drive alone was worth the trip. Take the 1A along the coast....beautiful!
The castle, though was a grand surprise, not just the edifice but the the owner builder designer was of tremendous surprise. John Hays Hammond is an inventor seconded only by Edison.....only barely and yet I'd never heard of him.
He designed and built this castle for the love of his life and his love of engineering, and his love of practical jokes. If you go, take the tour. No matter the draw to wonder off, wait take the tour, and then wonder with renewed awe and amazement from the history lesson. Our guide has worked at the castle for 30 years and told us the lore and history with great love of the castle and Mr Hammond in every word.
I can only say that a week wouldn't be enough time to learn it all, or maybe 30 years for that matter. Go, trust me you'll love it.

Visited October 2013
Worcester, Massachusetts
52 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 48 helpful votes
“Interesting place with so much to enjoy.”
Reviewed October 5, 2013 via mobile

We went here earlier today with my husband and 3 young children.
It took us about 1.5 hrs to stroll all over.

Positive:
the architecture
the details
the views
really interesting
inexpensive and absolutely worth it

Negative: