“Dont eat at the Steakhouse”

The Castle Manor Inn
Ranked #3 of 17 Gloucester B&B and Inns
New York
“Dont eat at the Steakhouse”
Reviewed August 29, 2007

I stayed in the Bed and Breakfast, my room was a good sized room, quiet and peaceful stay. No complaints, except the dinning. The steakhouse was very overpriced and not good. Neither my nor my girlfriend enjoyed the food.

• Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank tj1784

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
West Palm Beach
Reviewed July 17, 2007

A friend and I visited Gloucester during the 4th of July, and stayed at the Manor Inn motel unit. We were both very pleased with the peace and quiet surrounding us in our small yet comfy room. I was especially delighted by the cleanliness of the room and the special touches made by the staff. Our room also offerred a small balcony overlooking the natural salt marshes just behind the Inn which in itself offered just the tranquility I was in need of during my summer vacation. A superb staff and reasonable rate make The Manor Inn a definite return for me next year!

• Liked — the peacefulness
  • Disliked — no swimming pool
  • Stayed July 2007
    • Check in / front desk
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed May 15, 2006

Had a group of people stay there, and the service was excellent, staff went over the top to help us, rooms were beautiful, food was great, overall a perfect weekend for everyone who came!

• Stayed May 2006
2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Vermont
Reviewed October 28, 2005

I've never done one of these hotel reviews before, but the horrible stay I had in this place really makes it necessary.

The other reviewers say good things about staying inside the "Manor" part of the house. I wish I would have stayed there, but instead I stayed in a detached building that holds about 16 dumpy looking motel units. They were $20 more because they said they had a view, but mine had a view of trees and a sewer-smelling salt marsh or swamp or something.

The Good: The room was decent sized with a lot of new fixtures and the bathroom appeared to be fairly clean. The tv had cable. The place was pretty easy to find and was conveniently close to town.

The Rest: The room smelled like mold when we walked in. There was a loud dehumidifier that was running constantly next to one of the beds. In the corner there was a large spider web, complete with spider(not an overnight web either, the web completely filled about 6 cubic feet of space). The beds were hard and uncomfortable and you could feel the springs in your back. Three of us slept in the room and we each woke up with coughs and scratchy throats we believe was from the mold in the room. The shower running in the room above ours was so loud that it woke us all up early in the morning and I thought the clock radio was going off with the radio turned to static at high volume. We also heard loud creaks in the ceiling every time someone took a single step. The room looked like it had severe water damage at one point and they were trying to fix it.

We paid for two nights and only stayed for one because my girlfriend is allergic to mold. They told us we weren't the first to complain and that they were going to be fixing the rooms up over the winter, but offered no refunds.

Previous complaints of mold smell....fixing up in the winter...think maybe they shouldn't have be renting out this room?

If you are planning on staying in the motel part, make sure they really did fix it up!!!

• Stayed October 2005
8 Thank Dudeisays
Portland, OR
Reviewed October 23, 2005

My husband and I stayed in the hotel part of the Manor Inn for one night. The room was small but for the price we paid, I have no complaints. We had a small balcony that overlooked a bay. It was too rainy for us to use it, but it would be nice in the summer. The bath towels were surprisingly plush.

The Manor itself looked very nice if you want a bed and breakfast place. We were able to get coffee and muffins in the morning at the Manor which was a plus.

The location was fairly close to town and very easy to find. All in all, a good experience.

• Stayed October 2005
4 Thank kittykai
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed July 19, 2003

This bed & breakfast was wonderful! I went for my anniversary, picked by me due to the low rate per night and I hoped for the best. Everything on their web site looked nice, but it can be very hard to tell. Needless to say, when we got there, we were very happy with everything. The staff was very friendly and personable, and they were able to answer any questions we had. The house was beautiful and quiet. Our room was very homey with a private bath. The staff also allowed me to view other rooms which were not occupied and they lived up to how the web site described it, at ...: They served a very nice breakfast buffet, which included quiche, bacon, fresh fruit, delicious scones and pastries, just to name a few things. The grounds were very nice, especially the big wrap around porch and the gazebo. We will definitely go back!!!

19 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Gloucester
Atlantis Oceanfront Inn
Ocean House Hotel at Bass Rocks
Harborview Inn
Harborview Inn
#2 of 17 in Gloucester

Been to The Castle Manor Inn? Share your experiences!