“Yankee Fleet”
Review of Yankee Fleet

Yankee Fleet
More attraction details
Owner description: For over 60 years Yankee Fleet has been running fishing excursions to Stellwagen Bank, Jeffery's Ledge and Tillies Bank where you will have the best opportunity to catch fish and have fun doing it. Our fleet of vessels have been specially designed to provide he best platform for fishing. Our captains have the most knowledge of the best fishing spots. As originators of Gloucester based deep-sea party fishing, we can say this simply because we have the most experience!
Useful Information: Activities for young children, Activities for older children, Food available for purchase
Reviewed October 29, 2017 via mobile

Pollock fishing officially started Sunday September 17th with the Yankee Fleet Marathon from 5A-5P. This fleet has professional Mates, Captains and Staff that helps make for the perfect fishing experience for all new comers, family excursions and all avid, hard core fishermen/fisherwomen. If you want to get hooked on fishing, try Pollock fishing in the Fall aboard the Yankee Clipper with Captain Rob. My husband and I fish every 2 weeks so we bring our own gear but there are rental rods and jigs if you're just starting out. I watched newcomers, men, women and children, catch their first Pollock after learning the art of jigging by listening to the Mates and Captain's instructions. A mate's job is tremendously demanding and physically tough. The Yankee Fleet Mates were constantly on the go looking for who needed help. They constantly gaffed fish, straightened out everyones tangles and set everone back up to jig again, all the while displaying a friendly and professional attitude. They helped maximize everyone's time spent fishing while performing their other countless duties of tending to the ship but their work didn't end there. When it was time for the 2-3 hour ride back to shore, they quickly cleared the boat of excess equipment and obstacles, then proceeded to fillet fish, all the way home. Despite the long ride back to shore, there were so many fish caught that we ended up waiting outside the breakwater so the Mates could finish skinning the last few bags of fish. Normally, you would see 2 Mates cleaning the fish while the third Mate would be scrubbing and hosing down the boat on the journey back but instead, these Mates did their best to minimize a late return by having all 3 Mates working on the fish. That meant the Mates would be staying late to clean the boat after the patrons left. That comes at a cost of their own time that they aren't getting paid for. This level of professional service is not found on every partyboat. The Mates and the services they provide are one of the main reasons why I come back to the Yankee Fleet. Another reason is due to the Captain being very serious about finding fish and he knows how to put us on the fish! Are there days we don't catch a cooler full? Of course, that's why they call it fishing and not catching. Regardless, I have never been skunked yet and have always brought home enough to share. Third reason I fish exclusively with the Yankee Fleet is again, due to the knowledge and professional Mates and Captain. I havent seen a situation that they haven't handled well. I feel safe with them when we journey over 20 miles out to sea. 4th reason I fish with them, the owner of the business, Tommy Orrell. He's paid his dues as a Mate, Captain and now the owner. He knows what the industry is all about and is always inventing new fishing trips to try. He listens to his crew and works hard to keep operations manageable for all. No matter how much he has to balance, he's always wearing a smile and makes time for a brief visit to listen to the public. The only time I haven't seen him on the docks is when he's performing Captain's duties on an offshore overnight excursion. I cannot bash this fleet as they've never given me a reason. I look forward to my trips to Gloucester. It's like visiting longtime friends. Fifth reason I fish with the Yankee Fleet is their years of experience. They'll guide you as long as you're willing to listen. Lastly, I get a lot of questions regarding tipping the Mates. Even if I contribute my fish to somebody that tried but didnt seem to land a fish for themselves, I still tip the Mates for their endless efforts to keep us all safe and have a great time while we play at sea. So what's a decent tip? I pay the customary charge of $1 per fish fileted but then tip the Mates $20 per person in my party. Fish cleaning is just a service you can choose to use or you can take your catch home and filet it on your own time. Fish cleaning has nothing to do with tipping your Mates who endlessly tend to tangles, gaff fish and rig everyone back up to maximize your fishing time. Even though I tie all of my own rigs, I know from experience that if the Mates weren't great at tending to everyone else's tangles, it would only be a matter of time before my line gets pulled into one massive tangle. So to those who say they didn't use the Mates services, bologna! We ALL benefit from their services. Tangles are inevitable but the speed in which those tangles are resolved separates the Professional Mates from someone wearing the logo of Mate on their shirt. There are Mates that work for the Yankee Fleet that are 3rd generation, namely the Cabrals! These Mates are the real deal so take care of the Mates and they'll take care of you. Come aboard to have fun!

All reviews
"instructions"
in 3 reviews
"sea"

Reviewed September 3, 2017 via mobile

Excellent day of fishing. Everyone caught some fish and wasn't overcrowded. I thought we were well informed on what to expect and what was expected of us. My two grandsons aged 12 and 15 loved the experience. The crew were helpful and courteous. Can't wait to try it again.

Reviewed July 10, 2017

I have been fishing with Yankee Fleet for 30 years, doing both full day and half day trips. I first fished with YF back in the 1980's with groups of college friends, including the woman who became my wife. I started bringing our son when he was 8 (he is now 19) and he is now taking his college friends out with YF. We go at least twice a year and keep going back for a reason. Every single time, the office staff has been helpful and the boat crews friendly and hard working.

On half day trips, the boat usually steams out for 45-60 minutes before you get to fish. On full day trips, the steaming time is almost 2 hours each way but that gets you farther out, to better fishing grounds, that are fished less often. Pick your trip based on how much fishing and steaming time you want. Parents should know how much travel time their kids can do, their level of interest and their attention span, and then plan accordingly. I've seen 5 year olds who had a blast, and teenagers who made their parents and other people miserable with their complaining.

As other reviewers have said, you aren't allowed to keep any cod in 2017. There are plenty of other fish that you can keep (e.g., haddock, pollack, hake, cusk and halibut), but there are no guarantees that you'll catch a keeper. They call it "fishing" not "catching" for a reason. I have never been on a YF trip without catching something, even if it wasn't a keeper.

If you want a piece of the local culture, spend some time talking to the mates. At least one of them is bound to be a long-time Gloucester resident. Gloucester has beautiful seacoast, but it is still a gritty fishing port. The mates can tell you a lot about the town and, in my experience, are more than happy to share their knowledge. They bust their humps for the passengers and don't make a high hourly wage, so be sure to bring along some cash and tip them appropriately.

Truth be told, you'd spend a lot less money if you went to the local grocery store or fishmonger to pick up a couple of fillets for dinner. You simply can't beat the fun of going out on the water, catching the fish yourself and then eating them the same day. YF makes it easy and fun to do so. I recommend them highly.

Reviewed July 10, 2017

We had a good day out with this group- friendly crew, helpful and attentive. Sitting inside the cabin on the way back was tough. The seas were very rough, and it was stuffy in there. Make sure you take your dramamine! But we caught 4 fish, had a few beers, and were glad we went.