“A Good Day at Sea”
Review of Yankee Fleet

Yankee Fleet
More attraction details
Owner description: For over 60 years Yankee Fleet has been running fishing excursions to Stellwagen Bank, Jeffery's Ledge and Tillies Bank where you will have the best opportunity to catch fish and have fun doing it. Our fleet of vessels have been specially designed to provide he best platform for fishing. Our captains have the most knowledge of the best fishing spots. As originators of Gloucester based deep-sea party fishing, we can say this simply because we have the most experience!
Useful Information: Activities for older children, Activities for young children, Food available for purchase
Reviewed July 22, 2014

We booked with Yankee Fleet and went out at 7 AM for an all day (8 hours) trip. The boat, the Patriot is not exactly the most glamous boat you will ever see, it could use some paint and TLC, but the crew was great. They helped everyone, getting lines untangled, giving instructions about how use the equipment, measuring fish, explaining what the different types of fish were, unhooking fish, etc. They made the trip a pleasure. A lot of fish were thrown back due to being too small, ( recent changes in regulations increased the legal lenght to 21 inches for many species. The rental equipment was decent, bait is supplied. They will clean / fillet fish for a small fee. We had 43 fish - it was worth it to have them do the "dirty work". Bring a jacket, food and some plastic bags for your cleaned catch as well a wipe rag and hand cleaner. Looking forward to going back out.

1  Thank SkigirlBoston
There are newer reviews for Yankee Fleet

Reviewed June 24, 2014

Was up in the air about going based on some reviews I read on here. Decided to go and had a great time. We went on a Tuesday afternoon. There was plenty of room on the boat. Entire staff was very friendly and very helpful. My wife and I were very impressed. If you like to fish, I couldn't recommend this group enough. We will definitely be going back. Some of the questions I had that weren't immediately obvious, but the staff very cordially answered over the phone: fishing license not needed for trip, pole and bait included in cost of trip, ~35-40 minutes from dock before putting line in the water and about the same back (so for a 4.5 hr trip, ~3 hrs of fishing time which was plenty of time), for 1pm trip boat boarded at 1230. I caught 7 fish, two were keepers and were delicious. Take some additional layers of clothes (it can be pretty windy), high probability of getting damp also. Dramamine also a good idea if you aren't out at sea all that much.

Reviewed June 16, 2014 via mobile

I didn't have a terrible day. We didn't really catch a lot of fish. It was a great day don't get me wrong, the crew were nice, and the captain tried really hard to get us to the right area. I understand you have bad days and good days but I gave it a 4 star because I didn't like the fact that people can smoke on board and drink on board. I mean a crew member tried to get a hook out of a fishes mouth with the cigaret still in his mouth. Overall I had fun

1  Thank Noelg616
Reviewed September 24, 2013

We live 5 hours away and had planned and reserved this trip a few MONTHS in advance. After taking time off work and paying for hotels, Yankee Fleet called us 12 hours before our trip and told us that not enough people had signed up for that day and therefore the trip was not going to be 'profitable' for them and the trip was cancelled. I told them how much I had arranged for this trip and that we had already paid for hotels (and now had no reason to make the trip), but they did not care. I was really upset that they cared more about making $ than making their customers happy. They were not apologetic at all. Just imagine the stress of planning for months around this trip and then finding out the day before that it's cancelled. Not our fault not enough people signed up, we shouldn't have had to lose out because of it! Just don't count on this boat.

11  Thank QHgirl08
Reviewed August 17, 2013

Took my Girl Friend and her two teenagers on the Yankee Patriot with Capt John and crew Dave and George for the full day fishing trip leaving at 7am this morning. Weather was awesome, seas were calm and we caught lots of fish, many types! Highlight of the day was GF's daughter catching a blue fish and it really gave her a thrill and a fight.

Pros: Fantastic Weather and fishing. Definitely a great time had by all. The crew was very helpful. Did our homework and brought our own drinks and food.

Cons: Capt John got a little too gruff with the customers when the dog sharks kept taking the bait and running circles around the boat tangling lines! Dog fish are a pain, they tangle lines and you can't keep them. It is not the customers fault that the dog fish were biting! Bathrooms are rustic! limited food available.

Enjoy,