“Great Full Day Fishing on Yankee Patriot”
Review of Yankee Fleet

Yankee Fleet
More attraction details
Owner description: For over 60 years Yankee Fleet has been running fishing excursions to Stellwagen Bank, Jeffery's Ledge and Tillies Bank where you will have the best opportunity to catch fish and have fun doing it. Our fleet of vessels have been specially designed to provide he best platform for fishing. Our captains have the most knowledge of the best fishing spots. As originators of Gloucester based deep-sea party fishing, we can say this simply because we have the most experience!
Useful Information: Activities for older children, Activities for young children, Food available for purchase
Boston
17 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 39 helpful votes
“Great Full Day Fishing on Yankee Patriot”
Reviewed August 17, 2013

Took my Girl Friend and her two teenagers on the Yankee Patriot with Capt John and crew Dave and George for the full day fishing trip leaving at 7am this morning. Weather was awesome, seas were calm and we caught lots of fish, many types! Highlight of the day was GF's daughter catching a blue fish and it really gave her a thrill and a fight.

Pros: Fantastic Weather and fishing. Definitely a great time had by all. The crew was very helpful. Did our homework and brought our own drinks and food.

Cons: Capt John got a little too gruff with the customers when the dog sharks kept taking the bait and running circles around the boat tangling lines! Dog fish are a pain, they tangle lines and you can't keep them. It is not the customers fault that the dog fish were biting! Bathrooms are rustic! limited food available.

Enjoy,

VVHT

4 Thank VVHT

West Chester, PA
50 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 36 helpful votes
“Fishing trip”
Reviewed August 11, 2013 via mobile

My husband took two grandsons on afternoon excursion. Unfortunately they didn't catch anything to bring home. They said staff friendly and they went quite far out into the ocean. One boy caught a small halibut and the other a dog fish. The boys said it was a great time. Beware they charge for refreshments, plastic bags and remind you often to TIP. Perhaps they should pay staff better.

2 Thank padingo
Massachusetts
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 34 helpful votes
“If You Like Cod for $165 pound...”
Reviewed August 11, 2013

....this is the trip for you (wink). This is our second time deep sea fishing with Yankee Fleet in about five years. The boat is fine, the staff is fine....but WHERE ARE THE FISH?! Both time we've gone (husband and two children), we have caught an abundance of dogfish (little sharks?) that are not kept. Both times only one member of our family actually caught something you can keep. Both times it wasn't even enough to make a family dinner. One thing that definitely contributes to this is that they obviously overbook the trips so that you are fishing too close to other people and ending up with lines getting caught. It takes time to untangle, time to move to new spots for fishing (to get away from dogfish OR to find a place with actual fish) so that the actual time with your hook in the water (on a half day tour) is less than an hour. Though we had fun, the lack of actual fish to take home is a disappointment.

Visited July 2013
4 Thank Savalumom9298
Boston, Massachusetts
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 17 helpful votes
“Terrible display of animal cruelty!”
Reviewed August 1, 2013

Yankee Fleet has always been my first choice for whale watching on the North Shore. So when my children and out of town family asked to go deep sea fishing, I didn't hesitate to book a trip with them. Our experience was absolutely appalling! The crew on board was incredibly rude and made my son feel like he was an idiot for not knowing how to operate the rod and reel. At first the catch was mostly juvenile fish which the crew made a point of handling extensively and then laughed when they threw them back and almost all died right there on the surface of the water. As the afternoon went on, many dogfish were being caught. My cousin caught a large dogfish that couldn't be knocked off of the line so a crewman had to bring it on board and remove the hook. He then asked us if we would like to feel it's skin because it felt like sandpaper. When my cousin hesitated he took the dogfish, bent it in half and started rubbing the poor creature as hard and fast as he could on the rail of the boat. We were horrified and asked him to stop, but he refused laughing as he continued with this behavior until blood started pouring from the fish's gills. Then he just tossed the poor animal back into the water leaving a huge puddle of blood on the deck of the boat. My children were totally traumatized! I am absolutely horrified that Yankee Fleet has fallen to this level. I will never return and I urge anyone who reads this to look elsewhere for deep sea fishing charters. There are many in the area. Oh, I forgot to mention that while they were killing almost every fish they touched, the crew was also smoking. A truly awful experience!!

17 Thank BEBD717
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 20 helpful votes
“Great Captain - no fish!”
Reviewed April 8, 2013

We went out on the first all day charter of 2013. The weather was cold, but a day on the water is always fun. Captain Pete made this a great trip for our family. He took my son, age 12, and showed him how all the instruments on the bridge work, and answered all of the questions he could think of! This really helped keep him busy, as we couldn't find a haddock anywhere (although we did catch many cod that had to be thrown back as they were not in season, and many small red fish that some people brought home).

However, I have 2 complaints about this company:
1. Tell all the charges in advance/include them all in the price. Extra dollars here and there for bags, towels, etc are fine (well not really, but I understand they have a cost), but get it all from me at one time when I book with you.
2. When we boarded, 30 minutes early as suggested, the boat was already full and we couldn't find three spots in a row open to put our poles down. Apparently they have a policy that you can reserve in advance (the day prior) the spot you want to fish on the boat. Or you can get there like 2 hours early to get a choice spot. Now we don't really care about a particular spot, but would have liked to have our entire family near each other when fishing. Seems like all the regulars knew of this policy, but I was not told anything about it when making my reservation over the phone.

I will say it one more time, Captain Pete was awesome!

Visited March 2013