“Great Captain - no fish!”
Review of Yankee Fleet

Yankee Fleet
More attraction details
Owner description: For over 60 years Yankee Fleet has been running fishing excursions to Stellwagen Bank, Jeffery's Ledge and Tillies Bank where you will have the best opportunity to catch fish and have fun doing it. Our fleet of vessels have been specially designed to provide he best platform for fishing. Our captains have the most knowledge of the best fishing spots. As originators of Gloucester based deep-sea party fishing, we can say this simply because we have the most experience!
Useful Information: Food available for purchase, Activities for older children, Activities for young children
Reviewed April 8, 2013

We went out on the first all day charter of 2013. The weather was cold, but a day on the water is always fun. Captain Pete made this a great trip for our family. He took my son, age 12, and showed him how all the instruments on the bridge work, and answered all of the questions he could think of! This really helped keep him busy, as we couldn't find a haddock anywhere (although we did catch many cod that had to be thrown back as they were not in season, and many small red fish that some people brought home).

However, I have 2 complaints about this company:
1. Tell all the charges in advance/include them all in the price. Extra dollars here and there for bags, towels, etc are fine (well not really, but I understand they have a cost), but get it all from me at one time when I book with you.
2. When we boarded, 30 minutes early as suggested, the boat was already full and we couldn't find three spots in a row open to put our poles down. Apparently they have a policy that you can reserve in advance (the day prior) the spot you want to fish on the boat. Or you can get there like 2 hours early to get a choice spot. Now we don't really care about a particular spot, but would have liked to have our entire family near each other when fishing. Seems like all the regulars knew of this policy, but I was not told anything about it when making my reservation over the phone.

I will say it one more time, Captain Pete was awesome!

2  Thank Kristine S
"instructions"
in 3 reviews
"sea"

Reviewed September 1, 2012

My son and I went on a morning excursion. It was fun and the crew was super friendly and helpful (except for the sea witch at the snack counter). Unfortunately the fish weren't biting, with just a few caught on the whole boat. It felt like we spent a lot of time motoring to different spots and not that much with our lines in the water, but I know they were working to get us on some fish. If we went back I would be willing to give it another try. We had fun and it was very reasonably priced.

Reviewed August 5, 2012

I went on the boat with my two girls (ages 6 and 8) and all three of us had an AMAZING, fun trip thanks to the kindness, helpfulness and knowledge of the Yankee Fleet crew. There was always someone there to lend a hand with whatever my girls needed. And in the end the kids were over the moon excited to catch two "keepers". When a new species of fish was caught, someone always made sure to bring it over to show my kids- which they thought was fantastic. When we had questions about how to use the fishing rods or whether we were doing things the "right" way, a member of the crew was right there to help!

We will DEFINITELY be back!

Reviewed July 26, 2012

They are in a position where they can get their boats filled (overfilled) with passengers almost all of the time due to their heavy national advertising so without making a good faith effort to get the boat on some fish, the fisherman is brought to areas of water that produce little fish (not counting sand sharks). Their prices are high and their interest in having passengers return is above seeing that they catch fish. There are many choices for which boat to go on within a 25 mile radius. It is best to seek an alternate port to go fishing.

6  Thank benn_there
See more reviews
Reviewed July 23, 2012

I have been fishing with Yankee fleet for over 25 years. My father first brought me when I was 12. I try to go deep sea fishing at least once a year because it’s fun and is a great way to spend some time on the water. In the early years of fishing, I had seen people catch so many fish they are scattered around on the boat. Now, consider yourself lucky if you catch anything, let alone take home one keeper. The price of a ticket keeps going up too.
I went with Yankee Fleet for my annual fishing adventure and aboard the Yankee Patriot over the July 20th 2012 weekend. The overall catch for the boat was very poor- most people either caught juvenile fish that were too small or they caught nothing at all. Some people got lucky and caught a few keepers, most people didn’t not.
There were two mates on board (George and one other young guy), plus the captain (Tom). They cut up the bait, would come around and help people take fish off the lines, untangle people’s lines, and clean the fish. They were also crude and rude. In the afternoon, the dog fish started coming around, and that’s all that most people were catching. I personally saw the mates break the necks of some of the dogfish on purpose and then throw them back in the ocean to drown and die. They did this in front of young kids. The captain also wanted to slice open the belly of the pregnant dogfish female to watch the juvenile fish fall out. What kind of example are they setting? Completely appalling! There is no need to kill fish just for the fun of it, and just because dogfish are not the intended catch.

5  Thank jessfromMA