“Amazing Half Day Fishing Trip With My Kids :)”
Review of Yankee Fleet

Yankee Fleet
More attraction details
Owner description: For over 60 years Yankee Fleet has been running fishing excursions to Stellwagen Bank, Jeffery's Ledge and Tillies Bank where you will have the best opportunity to catch fish and have fun doing it. Our fleet of vessels have been specially designed to provide he best platform for fishing. Our captains have the most knowledge of the best fishing spots. As originators of Gloucester based deep-sea party fishing, we can say this simply because we have the most experience!
Useful Information: Food available for purchase, Activities for older children, Activities for young children
Reviewed August 5, 2012

I went on the boat with my two girls (ages 6 and 8) and all three of us had an AMAZING, fun trip thanks to the kindness, helpfulness and knowledge of the Yankee Fleet crew. There was always someone there to lend a hand with whatever my girls needed. And in the end the kids were over the moon excited to catch two "keepers". When a new species of fish was caught, someone always made sure to bring it over to show my kids- which they thought was fantastic. When we had questions about how to use the fishing rods or whether we were doing things the "right" way, a member of the crew was right there to help!

We will DEFINITELY be back!

All reviews
"instructions"
in 3 reviews
"sea"

Reviewed July 26, 2012

They are in a position where they can get their boats filled (overfilled) with passengers almost all of the time due to their heavy national advertising so without making a good faith effort to get the boat on some fish, the fisherman is brought to areas of water that produce little fish (not counting sand sharks). Their prices are high and their interest in having passengers return is above seeing that they catch fish. There are many choices for which boat to go on within a 25 mile radius. It is best to seek an alternate port to go fishing.

6  Thank benn_there
Reviewed July 23, 2012

I have been fishing with Yankee fleet for over 25 years. My father first brought me when I was 12. I try to go deep sea fishing at least once a year because it’s fun and is a great way to spend some time on the water. In the early years of fishing, I had seen people catch so many fish they are scattered around on the boat. Now, consider yourself lucky if you catch anything, let alone take home one keeper. The price of a ticket keeps going up too.
I went with Yankee Fleet for my annual fishing adventure and aboard the Yankee Patriot over the July 20th 2012 weekend. The overall catch for the boat was very poor- most people either caught juvenile fish that were too small or they caught nothing at all. Some people got lucky and caught a few keepers, most people didn’t not.
There were two mates on board (George and one other young guy), plus the captain (Tom). They cut up the bait, would come around and help people take fish off the lines, untangle people’s lines, and clean the fish. They were also crude and rude. In the afternoon, the dog fish started coming around, and that’s all that most people were catching. I personally saw the mates break the necks of some of the dogfish on purpose and then throw them back in the ocean to drown and die. They did this in front of young kids. The captain also wanted to slice open the belly of the pregnant dogfish female to watch the juvenile fish fall out. What kind of example are they setting? Completely appalling! There is no need to kill fish just for the fun of it, and just because dogfish are not the intended catch.

5  Thank jessfromMA
Reviewed July 11, 2012

My wife and I booked a full day with Yankee Fleet in hopes of a fun day on the ocean. After we paid, the people inside disappeared and we had to look around for where we were supposed to go. Fortunately others were walking down to the boat and we found our boat. Once we got on the boat, no one said anything to us...we had to ask them where we were supposed to get our rods. This was after walking around the boat two or three times, not finding anyone who worked there.

We were given no instructions as to how to operate the reels. That wasn't a problem for the two of us as we fish regularly around home, however if there was anyone on board who hasn't spent much time on the water they would be lost.

On the phone when booking, we were told $75 per person and that included everything we would need. That is simply not true. Need a towel while fishing? $1. Need a new sinker and hook if you broke the line? $2 Need a burlap sack with ice to store your catch? $1. Need a plastic sack to store your fillets? $1. Oh, and like it or not, they fillet your catch for...you guessed it. $1/fish. The crew member who filleted my fish wasted a bunch of meat and when I rinsed the fillets to put in the freezer back at the motel I found lots of rib bones still there. What a joke, not even close to everything included in the trip.

My wife, who is four months pregnant, had to spend probably half of the day not fishing because the crew and others on the boat smoked. When the crew members, one of them the smoker, asked my wife why she wasn't fishing she replied that she was pregnant and had to avoid second-hand smoke. His reply, "there's always the upper deck." YOU CAN'T FISH OFF THE TOP DECK. The other crew member joked about his mother smoking while she was pregnant and he turned out fine. In other words, even though we were paying their wages, they weren't going to change anything, we were going to have to miss fishing time.

We did catch fish on the trip, it was slow for us on the side of the boat we were on...but that's fishing and has nothing to do with the negativity of the review. My issues were the rudeness of the crew and the false advertising from the lady who we booked through on the phone. The other patrons on the boat were great company, which is good since you are literally elbow-to-elbow with them.

To finish on a positive note, the crew was good about untangling lines when it happened (quite often), unhooking fish, and refilling the bait containers.

If we do make another trip to the East coast we'll definitely be going elsewhere for deep sea fishing.

7  Thank Fishingnerd33